Goodreads Ireland discussion

The Door
This topic is about The Door
Previous Monthly Reads > August 2016 The Door (Non-Spoiler)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
This is the non-spoiler thread for our August 2016 read, The Door.

Serf Oh wow, hadn't checked poll in a while because the other pick seemed to be running away with it!
Looking forward to this, read lots of recommendations lately

message 3: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I'll wait and see how people are liking it before I commit to reading it. I never heard of it before the poll and I don't know if it sounds interesting or not. One way or another I have plenty to read :)

Lorraine | 152 comments I thought The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend was winning hands down so I requested that from the library. I'll probably read that one instead, my library doesn't have the other book.

Serf The door was listed in NYT top 10 books 2015 so be interesting to see how it goes.
Sometimes the books you haven't heard of can be the best ones

message 6: by Margo (new) - added it

Margo I'll probably give this one a miss also. I rarely enjoy translations - I know it's self limiting!!

message 7: by Cathleen (new)

Cathleen | 2409 comments So, for the first time in a long time--my library has this book and I'm not 45th in line for it :). I just checked it out, and it's a "speed read" book, so the pressure is on....

message 8: by Zita (new) - added it

Zita (zitaborcsok) As a Hungarian, I'm very happy to see this book nominated and then win the "race"! I've never read it, so I'm looking forward to it! :)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) | 601 comments I am looking forward to reading this one. I have just bought the only copy in Hodges Figgis Dublin.

message 10: by Serf (new) - rated it 4 stars

Serf Finished this tonight, even made me read til late into the night but a really enjoyable well written book. Will post more once spoiler thread is up.

Lorraine | 152 comments I hadn't intended to read it but it's available using the new library system. Hopefully I'll read it before the end of the month.

message 12: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
I'll get a spoiler thread open tonight or tomorrow.

message 13: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara | 2357 comments Mod
Here is the spoiler thread. I apologize for not getting it up sooner. I'm adjusting to having a new job and have been forgetful/neglectful of other things.

message 14: by Serf (new) - rated it 4 stars

Serf Hope the new Job is going well Sara, it's always hard settling in

message 15: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Apparently this book was made into a film a few years ago staring Helen Mirren. I have absolutely no recollection of it. Mustn't have gotten a general release. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU5fg...

message 16: by Serf (new) - rated it 4 stars

Serf Wow never heard of it, it does look like a very 'artistic' film kept for the likes of Cannes and stuff

message 17: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma Flanagan (emma89) According to IMDB it won an award at the Moscow film festival so definitely art house