What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Short story, horror, read in 1984, in a horror story anthology, paperback.

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Waters | 10 comments Plot: a group of school children are playing on the playground with cars toys etc. and only the teachers know that whatever the children build in their play, is what will exist the next day, what their new world will be, but they cannot tell the children, and I think the reason why is if they do tell the children then they will be destroyed or nothing will exist the next day.

message 2: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Shackelton | 54 comments I wonder if the story you're looking for is The Last Step, in the young adult horror anthology: The Anything Box.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 200 comments following

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Waters | 10 comments I will look it up because it's been so long ago I don't remember. That cover doesn't look familiar, but it's also been over thirty years

Justanotherbiblophile | 1793 comments This has shades of (but is not) Jerome Bixby's "It's a good life", which was made into a twilight zone episode.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Waters | 10 comments No, I've seen that and it's definitely not it. I ordered the Zenna Henson book so I'll know it The Last Step is it hopefully soon.

message 7: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Shackelton | 54 comments Hi, did you find out if this was the book?

message 8: by Deede (last edited Sep 01, 2016 08:33PM) (new)

Deede Bergeron | 2 comments This is definitely from Zenna Henderson's book. The teacher is disturbed and annoyed at how serious the children are and they are scaring her. She does things such as end recess early one day. On another day she kicked apart their game. Later as they are trying to evacuate, her own actions become part of the story- such as a day that ends unepectedly early, and a day the road is inexplicably destroyed breaking the caravan apart.

The children know that their play matters- the adults do not and the POV character is the adult who creates problems through her actions.

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36076 comments Mod
Yvonne wrote: "I wonder if the story you're looking for is The Last Step, in the young adult horror anthology: The Anything Box."

Note: the Zenna Henderson book mentioned by Yvonne and Deede has different covers.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
I also think it Zenna Henderson's story.

message 11: by Kate (new)

I just looked the story up.

Originally published in the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction in 1958 (my birth year!).

I thought certainly this story must have been put in an anthology (besides The Anything Box). However, I cannot find it listed as such.

message 12: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 126 comments That was my first thought as well. Either way, The Anything Box is a great book so you should get some good reading out of it! :)

My favorite story was The Grunder. And the vacuum one scared the Hell out of me as a kid

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Waters | 10 comments Sorry I haven't been on here. I did buy Zenna Henderson's book. Many of the stories were familiar to me, so that may be it. It's just been so long ago, 33 years, that I'm not for sure anymore. Thank you all for your help.

message 14: by Kate (new)

Should we mark this as solved, possibly solved, or should we keep looking?

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40227 comments Mod
Rachel, is this solved or unsolved? Please let us know.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Anything Box (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Zenna Henderson (other topics)