Chaos Reading discussion

Philip K. Dick
This topic is about Philip K. Dick
Short Reads > Beyond Lies the Wub by Philip K. Dick

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (last edited Jul 26, 2016 07:51PM) (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 637 comments Mod
I know we've got a handful of Philip K. Dick fans in this group, so I thought others might enjoy his debut short story first published in 1952:

"Beyond Lies the Wub"
Online text version | Online audio version (via Youtube)

Feel free to share your first impressions or any other thoughts/ideas the story spurs.

message 2: by CD (new)

CD  | 121 comments Always been one of my favorites. I have this is a collection of short SF stories c. 1960's.

Gives a whole new meaning to 'you are what you eat!'

message 3: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 637 comments Mod
CD wrote: "Gives a whole new meaning to 'you are what you eat!'"

Ha--indeed!

I just found a little more background on this story.

message 4: by CD (new)

CD  | 121 comments I was glad to read the background information. Some of the analysis of the story seems to itself go back 50 years or more. I have one library compendium of SF (removed from circulation c. 1970!) that appears to have been used as a literature textbook from the California University system that contains very similar verbiage. It is one of two versions of the Wub story that I have.

Comparing the online text version and two, repeat two(2) printed versions it turns out I have, there are some differences in the dialogue of the Wub. Minor but the richness of the language and amount seem to have been edited a bit. They are all good and none seem to suffer from what I can tell.

Great story. I previously didn't think of the second copy/version of the story when I posted earlier.