What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Brides of Eden: A True Story Imagined
This topic is about Brides of Eden
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Adult historical novel about a charismatic preacher [s]

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (last edited Aug 16, 2017 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments I apologize ahead of time; I don't have a lot of information! I'm looking for a novel, set in the US in the early 1900s (or thereabouts), about a charismatic preacher who comes to a small highly religious town. As is usual in these books, there was something sinister going on with him. I believe the protagonist is a teenager or young adult woman. I believe siblings was an important theme, though I can't remember more than that!

I read it in the mid to late 1990s or possibly early 2000s. It was new at the time. The format was a trade paperback.

It's an adult novel, probably literary fiction, though possibly women's fiction. The author was a woman. A pregnancy was possibly involved--or an affair? Religious guilt over sex? Maybe snake handling?

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Deborah (last edited Jul 26, 2016 06:33PM) (new)

Deborah | 6 comments Shelia,

Maybe you're looking for a Patricia Hickman series that took place during the Great Depression? It's about a man running away from his past. He ends up raising 3 orphans and tricking a town into believing he's the minister they've hired.

Millwood Hollow
1. Fallen Angels (2003)
2. Nazareth's Song (2004)
3. Whisper Town (2005)
4. Earthly Vows (2006)

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments This is not it--I think what I'm looking for was darker.

However, the series looks interesting and I've put it on my to-read list. :) Thanks for the reply!

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40168 comments Mod
Not everything matches, but here's a horror novel written by a woman about a charismatic stranger coming to town and people falling under his influence:

The Auctioneer

message 5: by Aerulan (last edited Sep 27, 2016 01:31AM) (new) - added it

Aerulan | 1239 comments Fitcher's Brides is similar and worth taking a look at though not everything fits, author is male, and it's a young woman and her sisters who move to a small very religious town with a sinister preacher rather than the preacher coming to their town.

It came out in 2002 and the story is set in 1843 so not too far off your time range for setting and when you read it.

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments It's neither of those. I've read Fitcher's Brides and loved it (I think I've read that entire fairy tale series!).

I also added The Auctioneer to my huge "to-read" list--it looks good!

Thank you both very much for the suggestions.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36033 comments Mod
Sheila, are there romance or fantasy/supernatural or horror elements?

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments No, I would classify it as literary or historical fiction. Thanks for the question, though.

I may be confusing books here, but I think a pregnancy might be involved? (I added that to my first post.)

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Well since you mention pregnancy, I thought of this thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Do you think you are looking for that same book?

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments I don't think so (that one sounds more like a horror novel to me; the one I'm looking for had no horror elements), but I'd like to know what that one is too so I can read it! :)

message 11: by Randi (new)

Randi | 13 comments Can it be Elmer Gantry? Set in early 1900's USA, small town, charismatic preacher with sinister issues.

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments It is not. I've not read Lewis before (though, this one looks good). Thanks for trying, Randi.

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments Bumping. There might have been snake handling?

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments Bumping a post from forever ago!

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments Bumping. Still looking!

message 16: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Probably not it, but I'm going to suggest it anyway. The Night Of The Hunter While written in the 1950's it's been re-released a couple of times-and even made into a movie at least once. Very creepy "preacher", but he definitely had charisma coming out the pores.

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Probably not it, but I'm going to suggest it anyway. The Night Of The Hunter While written in the 1950's it's been re-released a couple of times-and even made into a movie at least on..."

Oh my gosh! I'm pretty sure I've never read this before, so it's not what I'm looking for, but it went immediately on my "to read" list, so thank you. :) It looks really good!

message 18: by Cheryl A (new) - added it

Cheryl A | 68 comments This fits most of your description, except that it is a YA book. Brides of Eden: A True Story Imagined

message 19: by Sheila (last edited Apr 27, 2018 07:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sheila (sheilareads) | 100 comments THIS IS IT! Wow, Cheryl, I'm so impressed--it seems like such an obscure title. (I live in the Pacific Northwest and have always sought out books set in OR/WA, so I'm sure that's why I picked it up.) The title didn't ring a bell, but I got a copy and immediately, page one, recognized it.

Thank you so much! Time for a reread. :) And we can mark this solved.

message 20: by Cheryl A (new) - added it

Cheryl A | 68 comments Sheila wrote: "THIS IS IT! Wow, Cheryl, I'm so impressed--it seems like such an obscure title. (I live in the Pacific Northwest and have always sought out books set in OR/WA, so I'm sure that's why I picked it up..."

So glad you bumped it!! I probably read it about 10 years ago and your description rang a bell, but I had to hunt through my lists to find the title - now I want to re-read it!

message 21: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

This has been requested three times now. Who knew?