Books of Literature by Nobel Prize Winning Authors: 2020 Challenge discussion

10 books in 1 year challenge > Rosemarie's Ten

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie (last edited Feb 20, 2017 05:58PM) (new)

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) Rosemarie wrote: "1900- 1910"

What book? I may be sticking my foot in it as I'm not sure yet how all this works :)

message 3: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I am not sure either, but my grandson Flint (5 and a half ) was here all day and my mind is not functioning too well right now.
This is a good way to read some of the books I have on my shelf.
I find that challenges tend to encourage me to read a wider variety of books.

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Deborah wrote: "Rosemarie wrote: "1900- 1910"

What book? I may be sticking my foot in it as I'm not sure yet how all this works :)"

Hi Deborah, this site is mainly a personal reading challenge to read some of those books you have on your TBR list and never seem to get round to. Along side it we will be having a monthly book discussion and each discussion will be a book on someone's list that the majority want to read (based on nominations and voting). For 1900-1910 we are going with Kim which is on my list. You only need read and join in the discussion if you want to. I hope this helps.

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) Rosemarie wrote: "1900 - 1909 I want to read The Scarlet Pimpernel
1910 - 1919
1920 - 1929 I want to read A Room of One's Own
1930 - 1939
1940 - 1949
1950 - 1959
1960 - 1969
1970 - 1979
19..."

A Room of one's own is a favorite of mine.

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Deborah wrote: "Rosemarie wrote: "1900 - 1909 I want to read The Scarlet Pimpernel
1910 - 1919
1920 - 1929 I want to read A Room of One's Own
1930 - 1939
1940 - 1949
1950 - 1959
1960 - 1..."

I have never read it so that could be our read for the 1920's section

message 7: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments That sounds good to me too.

message 8: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I have finished my first book, By Night Under the Stone Bridge. It is set in 16th-17th Prague, translated from the German. I have done a review, and just want to add that it is a strange book, like a collection of mystical tales instead of novel. I gave it three stars because I didn't really like any of the characters.

message 9: by Haaze (new)

Haaze I have never heard about Perutz. How did you come across it? One of those books hiding in the corners of the bookshelf?

message 10: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Haaze wrote: "I have never heard about Perutz. How did you come across it? One of those books hiding in the corners of the bookshelf?"

I agree. I have never heard of him and this is another great reason to be involved in book groups. I am constantly being introduced to new (to me) Classics and authors. I am intrigued by the sound of the book The Master of the Day of Judgement by the same author, being both a mystery and historical fiction lover.

message 11: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I got the book out of the library. One of my fun challenges in another group is to read books from all over the world. I wanted a book set in Prague and found this on a Goodreads list of books set in Prague. It sounded fascinating because it was historical fiction by a European author, and got good reviews. It was interesting, but I couldn't warm up to the characters. If you like the Spanish author Borges, you would really enjoy this books. There is a folk tale quality to the stories, that are interconnected but hop around in time.

message 12: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I got the book out of the library. One of my fun challenges in another group is to read books from all over the world. I wanted a book set in Prague and found this on a Goodreads list of books set ..."

I can see being on this group is going to make my 'want to read' list even longer.

message 13: by Rosemarie (last edited Sep 19, 2016 09:06PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I finished a book for the 1980's and did a review as well.
I recommend this book, Summer in Baden-Baden, if you have read many of Dostoevsky's books because it gives an insight into how he thought, lived and especially, gambled.

I have also removed the original planned reads and chosen a theme. This year I have an international theme of books set in different countries or international authors.
So far I have books by authors born in Germany, Russia and Argentina. Hudson was born there, even though he was of British background and wrote in English.

message 14: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I finished a book for the 1980's and did a review as well.
I recommend this book, Summer in Baden-Baden, if you have read many of Dostoevsky's books because it gives an insight into h..."

I think a personal theme is a great idea. I wanted the group to be about personal discovery more than pre-directed.

message 15: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I am glad that part of the challenge is using the same author only once each year. Since I joined goodreads I have heard about so many new books and authors I want to read.
As I said in a previous post, I would not have read Kim by Kipling because Stalky and Co. was really bad.

message 16: by Rosemarie (last edited Oct 18, 2016 11:04AM) (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I have just finished another book, The White Guard and have posted a review on goodreads.
This book is not at all like The Master and Margarita, which was a fantasy. It is a very moving historical novel based on the author's own experiences during the fall of Kiev to the Bolshevics.
I have read a book by another Russian author, or should I say Ukrainian?

message 17: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments Out of Africa was written by a Danish author living in Kenya, so it follows with the international theme.

message 18: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I finished The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and did a review. I wasn't sure at first about the book, but the more I read it, the more I was impressed by the author's writing and her very unusual heroine, Esther.

message 19: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I finished The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath and did a review. I wasn't sure at first about the book, but the more I read it, the more I was impressed by the author's writing a..."

Thanks for the review. It has been a book I was never sure of but I understood that she was a talented writer. Her husband, Ted Hughes (he of The Iron Man fame) was greatly criticised after her death which was something that darkened Plath's reputation somewhat. Maybe I should read her works myself. She did some poetry too I believe? I was wondering if for at least one of our 10 choices we shouldn't have a book of poetry?

message 20: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I was looking for 70's books and your suggestion of poetry gave me an idea. Leonard Cohen wrote a book of poetry called The Energy of Slaves and the Toronto Public Library has three copies. I am going to use that for my choice for that decade.

message 21: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I was looking for 70's books and your suggestion of poetry gave me an idea. Leonard Cohen wrote a book of poetry called The Energy of Slaves and the Toronto Public Library has three copies. I am go..."

That sounds good. I will put it to the group as a choice for next month.

message 22: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I finished my eighth book today. This time I have chosen a creative non-fiction book about Savannah, Georgia, a complete change from the other books I've read. It is called Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: A Savannah Story by John Berendt.

message 23: by Tracey (last edited Feb 12, 2017 09:20PM) (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I finished my eighth book today. This time I have chosen a creative non-fiction book about Savannah, Georgia, a complete change from the other books I've read. It is called [book:Midnight in the Ga..."

Looks an interesting book. I noted that you don't have the 1901-9 filled in yet you did read Kim

message 24: by Rosemarie (last edited Feb 20, 2017 05:59PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I think I will use Kim for that period, since I really enjoyed it. I keep forgetting to add it. Thanks for the reminder.

message 25: by Rosemarie (last edited Feb 20, 2017 05:59PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I finished my ten books. The list is above. This was a fun challenge and I will be starting my next 10 after July 1.

The last book was Le città invisibili by Italo Calvino.

message 26: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Well done Rosemarie. I will look forward to your list in July.

message 27: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments Thanks. It was fun.

message 28: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments For the poetry month(March) I reread the book of poems by Shel Silverstein Shel Silverstein called A Light in the Attic A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein . The combination of poems and illustrations by the author create poems that reach readers of all ages. Some of the poems that represent the author's topics and style are " Prayer of the Selfish Child", "Ations", "Overdues", "Unscratchable Itch", "Come Skating" and "The lost cat. "
I read two other books by this author many years ago:
Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings and The Giving Tree, which I recommend to everyone.