Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Help with my page

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan Krulick-Belin | 6 comments My own book appears on my page twice as one that I am reading...I wrote it, and am not reading it. How can that be removed?

message 2: by Bea (new)

Bea Jan, did you review your own book or rate it? If so, the system thinks that you have read it.

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan Krulick-Belin | 6 comments I did neither. I am wondering if when I first tried to sign up, I was so confused that it was an accident. My publisher said "Had to add it in order to vote the book onto lists through Listopia. When you transition the Goodreads account to an author account, they may remove the book from the lists it has been added to. If this happens, no worries, I’ll re-add it using my Goodreads account. What do we do now?
I am still finding the site confusing; I don't want to remove the book from the site, just where it lists that I am reading my own book....

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14566 comments Jan wrote: "My publisher said "Had to add it in order to vote the book onto lists through Listopia. When you transition the Goodreads account to an author account, they may remove the book from the lists it has been added to. If this happens, no worries, I’ll re-add it using my Goodreads account."

Authors are not allowed to add their own books to Listopia, and it seems rather unethical that their publishers do it for them.

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan Krulick-Belin | 6 comments Yes, I have a synopsis. How do I add that?
Actually, one of your reviewers/readers added the book and review, not my publisher. She gained access to it through NetGalley. I am sorry if my questions have caused concern. It is only due to my discomfort with the technical side of navigating sites. They just help me navigate social media, etc. by telling me what to do. He was just trying to teach me how to make a correction, but now I know that I can go to you for help.

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan Krulick-Belin | 6 comments Will do today. Thanks for helping and being understanding. It's all baby steps....

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14566 comments Yes, Jan, what I said was in no way criticism of you! I just questioned the publisher's behaviour.

Reviews are different from Listopias, by the way. A Listopia is a themed list of books that Goodreads members can add books to and vote on. Some authors used to use those lists to promote their own books, and therefore authors are no longer allowed to add their own books to those lists.

Authors are allowed to rate and review their own books, but they will be marked as "review from the author". A 5-star rating will therefore not be taken seriously. A publisher adding a 5-star rating or review to a book they published, on the other hand, can do so fairly unnoticed. Same with adding books to a Listopia. Many Goodreads users frown upon this type of underhand self-promotion.

Back to your question: if you'd rather not change the synopsis yourself, you can also add it here, and a librarian can add it to the record.

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan Krulick-Belin | 6 comments I tried to delete the current description, but it would not allow me to delete it.
Here is the correct synopsis that I would like as the default description. Please replace it for me:

“The 'Greatest Generation' meets 'Love Letters' meets 'Yentl.'”

Long before she became a museum curator, Jan Krulick-Belin curated memories… photographs and mementos of her father, who died when she was just six. Her mother rarely spoke about him again, until a year before her own death, when she gave Jan a box of nearly one hundred love letters he had written her during World War II. What follows is the true story of the author’s emotional and life-changing pilgrimage of the heart to find and reclaim the father she thought she’d lost forever.

The letters lead Jan on an extraordinary journey following her father’s actual footsteps during the war years. Each letter brings a bygone era to life, while a series of amazing twists, turns, uncanny coincidences, and the kindness of strangers lead to unexpected discoveries from Morocco to Paris to upstate New York. The adventure comes full circle when Jan finds the Jewish-Moroccan family that provided the lonely soldier a feeling of home, fulfilling a wish unearthed in one of his letters. Along the way, she discovers details about her parents' great love story, and learns about the war in North Africa and the horrific fate of the Jews in Morocco, Germany, and France, bringing her even closer to her own Jewish roots. Most importantly, she discovers the man she thought she would never have the opportunity to know.

"Love, Bill" is a testament to the enduring power of determination, love, family, and the unbreakable bond between fathers and daughters.

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan Krulick-Belin | 6 comments Great, thanks.