LDS Ladies Book Club discussion

The Little Mermaid and Other Tales
Book Clubs - general/business > The Little Mermaid

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) For August the Little Mermaid was chosen. I have posted the book above which has other tales in too if you and your family want to read more of Andersen's great stories.
It doesn't matter which copy of The Little Mermaid you get but get one that is close to Andersen's original and NOT the Disney version. Discussion questions and thoughts to follow.

message 2: by Tracey (last edited Aug 01, 2016 04:13PM) (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) I am reading 2 versions of this book:

The Little Mermaid

and the story found in this book:

The Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen

message 3: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Lybbert | 72 comments I read a copy of this book illustrated by Charles Santore. I will try to link it here: The Little Mermaid

I have mixed feelings about this story. As a child I was always so sad the mermaid turned to foam in the end. If only she had been able to speak to the prince and let him know she was the one who had rescued him. It really bothered me.

But there are really a lot of lessons to be learned. It is always best to stay true to yourself and not change to be something or someone else. Don't make deals with a "witch".

At least at the end of this version of the book she became a daughter of the air with the opportunity to become immortal through good deeds.

The illustrations are lovely, though I always feel awkward around images of mermaids and would prefer not to share this book with my sons.

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) A lot of Hans Christian Andersen stories are sad when looked at from just this life. I think a lot of them are meant to focus us not so much on what happens to us but what we become. Becoming was a very strong theme in his stories. Andersen has a very sad life in many ways but it made him tender hearted and sensitive to the wounds of others. Mermaids were often seen as 'loose' women or a symbol for prostitutes and I wonder if Andersen was playing with the story of how Christ came to the woman taken in adultery and forgave her. It's not so important where we start as where we finish and what we become. I see the stories as ones of hope, that all is not finished here but in the hereafter we will have joy greater than anything of this world. This is my hope.