The Book Thief The Book Thief discussion

Does anyone else think this is a modern classic

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David I loved this book, a lot. it's use of death as a nararator, the relationships between the characters, the structure, and the author's interesting metaphors really grabbed my attention, as did the emotional story. I honestly think this book will stand the test of time and will continue to be read many years in the future. does anyone else think so?

Tariqah Markus Zusak is a genius for The Book Thief. In my opinion it's compelling, flirts with our imagination of death and its position as an inevitable occurrence in our lives, and tests our humility in a war-like setting. And these are just a few of the book's attributes.

However, the context of the story is, relatively, a bit beyond its time to be considered a modern classic. It may or may not give out due to trends, new/changed ideologies within society (ie. about death, perceptions of the Holocaust), etc. Other than that, it's a fantastic book and should be a modern classic.

David well, I'm glad someone agrees with me, to an extent. it's definitely the best YA book I've read in years, regardless

Susan Crawford Yes. Beautiful book! One of my favorite books of all time!

Patricia Fast I absolutely think so. I just finished the book this weekend. It's the only book I've given 5 stars ever. It took immense skill to write a book that creates such real characters, including Death. I cried when Liesel bent over Rudy's body. Powerful! I am confused that this is designated YA. I would place it under the category of historical fiction. I think the theme might be more appropriate for older teens through adults.

Electric Bubbles I certainly think it will be a classic.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 30, 2016 12:05AM) (new)

I too believe it will become a timeless piece, so much that I purchased a limited edition copy and stored it away. Who knows it may have some value many, many, many years from now. I've never read a book where death is telling the story.

Lauren Yes! I read this book around the time that it came out, and I remember immediately falling in love with it. To this day, it's still one of the best books I've ever read.

Kela It's very likely, Zusak's writing style is timeless

Queen Elizabeth of Gondor It definitely is.

Allyson I would say that it is without a doubt. It is everything a classic ought to be.

message 12: by Mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Corder I'm definitely on your side! The device of Death-as-Narrator gives the story a unique angle that elevates it above a mere this-is-what-happened story. It's beautiful, poignant, and tragic all at once. It happened by pure chance that I read this back-to-back with All the Light We Cannot See, and the two seem to compliment each other wonderfully!

Koontzs David wrote: "I loved this book, a lot. it's use of death as a nararator, the relationships between the characters, the structure, and the author's interesting metaphors really grabbed my attention, as did the e..."

Koontzs I loved this book and as a librarian have recommended it to many students and teachers. I also watched the movie and was pleasantly surprised. It was well cast and did a very good job of hitting the high spots in the plot. My husband, who did not read the book, really liked the movie as well, as did an adult daughter who had read the book first. As far as becoming a classic, who's to know? But it has won a place in my heart and truly has made an impact on my perspective of WWII from a non-Nazi family's view.

message 15: by Shy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shy Yes I agree! This book gives me so many emotions. One of my favorite books ever.

Ellana Galinsky Upon subtlety asserting the significance of relationships, albeit the extreme differences that may coexist, Zusak was able to portray the relationship, characters, and plot with such grace. The writing is well-connected, and enables readers to visualize the events due to the language. The book is truly remarkable.