YA LGBT Books discussion

Book Related Banter > 20th Century YA with LGBT themes

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rainbowheart (last edited Jul 26, 2016 11:53AM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 716 comments Trying to compile a comprehensive list of YA and middle grade books published in the 20th century (1900-1999) with LGBT themes.

Here's what I've got so far....

20th Century YA with LGBT Themes

Does anyone have more additions, particularly obscure or non-American titles? The Heart Has Its Reasons: Young Adult Literature with Gay/Lesbian/Queer Content 1969-2004 by Michael Cart has a good overview, but it's still missing UK, Canadian, and Australian titles.

The list itself could desperately use more voters! I'm at the 100 vote limit, so I can't add more unless other people vote for titles, and I can then unvote for those and add more. I would definitely appreciate more people voting!

message 2: by Carrie-Anne (new)

Carrie-Anne | 101 comments Ok, I wouldn't necessarily call these ya (but I have seen people on goodreads who have) but Dream Boy by Jim Grimsley and Mysterious Skin by Scott Haim both came out in 1995 (and also both have really harrowing and dark storylines so be warned!)

message 3: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16764 comments Do you need me to pick up some of your books to free up votes?

message 4: by Rainbowheart (last edited Jul 26, 2016 07:30PM) (new)

Rainbowheart | 716 comments Carrie-Anne, yes, those are both adult novels, but thanks for mentioning them! I haven't read the book, but the movie for Mysterious Skin is definitely harrowing.

Kaje, that would be awesome! Any votes would help. :)

message 5: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16764 comments OK - I picked up some more that I had either read or heard of. Check the ones with two votes now. Thanks for the listwork :)

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 716 comments Great, thanks so much! :)

message 7: by Carrie-Anne (new)

Carrie-Anne | 101 comments I voted for Perks Of Being A Wallflower because it's the only one of those I've read (most LGBT books I've read are 2000 on wards unfortunately!)

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 716 comments Thanks for the vote, Carrie-Anne!

Keep 'em coming, guys. :)

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 716 comments I could definitely use more voters on this list! I keep coming across more 20th century YA with LGBT characters, and I'm fresh out of votes.

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 716 comments More voters appreciated!

20th Century YA with LGBT Themes

I'm out of votes, and I'm trying to keep the list as comprehensive as possible. If you know of a book that's missing, please also post a comment here!

message 11: by V.S (new)

V.S Carrie-Anne wrote: "I voted for Perks Of Being A Wallflower because it's the only one of those I've read (most LGBT books I've read are 2000 on wards unfortunately!)"

That's probably the only LGBTQ+ book I can think of set in that time that I've read :>

message 12: by Carrie-Anne (last edited Mar 29, 2020 09:38AM) (new)

Carrie-Anne | 101 comments I added The Boys on the Rock and
Maurice

Although Maurice does go from childhood to adulthood it's definitely suitable for young adults

I also added a vote for Peter

message 13: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 716 comments Thanks, guys! Just a reminder, the list is for YA and middle grade only. Books designated as juvenile fiction by the publisher. Maurice and The Boys on the Rock are adult fiction.

Peter is definitely YA and is an excellent book!

message 14: by Carrie-Anne (new)

Carrie-Anne | 101 comments I understand why you wouldn't class Maurice because it spans many years, but The Boys On The Rock is about a teenager, having sexual aspects in a book doesn't necessarily mean it isn't YA. YA is for teens, including those that fall into the late teens category. But of course it's your list and definitions - even genre definitions - vary between people!

message 15: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 716 comments Yes, I just go off Worldcat designations, whether something was released by an adult or juvenile publisher.

message 16: by Carrie-Anne (new)

Carrie-Anne | 101 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Yes, I just go off Worldcat designations, whether something was released by an adult or juvenile publisher."

Totally understand, it's just I feel like in more recent years YA has been accepted more and widened, whereas because you're looking at books written many years ago there wasn't really that in between space between adult and children books.

Even when I was growing up as a teen in the 2000's one of my favourite authors books were always championed as children's / middle grade when he says now they definitely fit into the YA category - it just wasn't a big thing then and that wasn't even that long ago

message 17: by Mere (new)

Mere Rain | 62 comments Gosh, there really weren't a lot of lgbt books that ended happily before 2000, were there?

I assume from what's listed that you want to stick with contemporary fiction and not add in sf/f works like Magic's Pawn?

message 18: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 716 comments Lots of sad endings!

Science fiction or fantasy would have been fine, but I don't think there were many juvenile books in that genre published published in the 20th century. Mercedes Lackey is adult fiction.

The only ones I can think of are Kittatinny, Awake and Dreaming, The Skull of Truth, and various titles by Francesca Lia Block. She wrote a lot of magical realism.