Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library discussion

Question of the Month! > A Book You Judged By Its Cover

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 38 comments Mod
We've all heard the saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover." Well, I can honestly admit that I have read so many books simply because I decided that the cover of the book was amazing. In some cases the book was fabulous. In others, the book was pretty bad. I've also had some books that I decided that I wasn't going to read because the cover was really boring, but then a friend would tell me more about the book and I would read it and love it.

So what is a book that you judged by the cover? Did the story live up to the cover?

message 2: by May (new)

May | 13 comments I am a sucker for beautifully bound books. They are like fine art to me. My copy of Life of Pi is bright blue leather-like material that makes it more than a paperback, but more comfortable in hand than a hardback. The pages also have gold gilding. What is even better, is that it is such a good book making it one book that you can indeed judge by its cover.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Ciummo (anneyciu) | 1 comments I judge books by it's cover, but only if the book had been recently published. It is a sign to me that the author is not only able to create a good book, but he/she can also manage to get a great designer or artist to further market the story. Why do books have covers anyway, if not to draw people in? However, I do admit that sometimes the book I prejudged isn't as incredible as I hoped. It's often hit-and-miss with any book.
I also judge bad-covered books as bad books, sometimes (for example, Mass Market Romance). I think I can be sure of the quality of the book by simply looking at a shirtless man on the front...

message 4: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs4jc) | 99 comments Mod
On a side note, I dislike when the publishers come out with "movie tie in covers". Usually I much prefer the original cover!

message 5: by Isaiah (new)

Isaiah (jugglingpup) | 3 comments I love weird covers. I always get sucked into them. There is a book of poetry called "Pillow Thoughts", but the cover was all black with a jellyfish on the cover. I was so intrigued. It was a fantastic book. I really wouldn't have grabbed it without that jellyfish.

I also grab books solely based on title, that one doesn't work out as well for me!

message 6: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs4jc) | 99 comments Mod
Neat! I think the job of being a designer of book jackets must be really interesting. If I was doing it I'd make sure to at least know what the characters are described like before putting people on the cover. So many times there's a picture on the cover that does not match the character description at all!

message 7: by Isaiah (new)

Isaiah (jugglingpup) | 3 comments Deb wrote: "Neat! I think the job of being a designer of book jackets must be really interesting. If I was doing it I'd make sure to at least know what the characters are described like before putting people o..."

I was reading some ARC romance novels where the MC fell for two men. The cover had the same man photoshopped on both sides of the woman, but the characters in the book were described as drastically different in looks. I was so annoyed. Every cover by that author had the same issues. If I hadn't gotten them for free, I wouldn't have read them. I was so put off by that lack of effort.