Play Book Tag discussion

Love Life
This topic is about Love Life
July 2016: Biography Memoir > Love Life - Rob Lowe - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I love Rob Lowe, I have since 1983 when he burst on the scene as Sodapop in The Outsiders. I listened to his autobiography, Stories I Only Tell My Friends when it came out 4 years ago and really enjoyed it, especially because Lowe read it himself and did a great job. When I learned about this new memoir, I knew I would have to listen to it.

In his earlier book Lowe went into detail about his childhood, rise to fame and his abuse of drugs and alcohol. This book is more of a reflection of lessons learned throughout his career. He’s funny, charming and not afraid to poke fun at himself (the story of his first visit to the Playboy mansion is a prime example). There’s a lot of name dropping and dishing about other celebs, but not in a mean spirited way. He reflects on the changes his career has gone through and how much Hollywood has changed and all the really great work being done on the small screen, where he has carved out a new career. Most of all he talks about his children and how their growing up has changed him. And this grown-up Rob Lowe really, really loves his wife Cheryl. It comes through whenever he speaks of her and credits her with making him a better man, husband and father.

I listened to the audio and he’s a great reader - of course he’s an actor so you would expect that. It was charming and fun and very interesting. If you are at all interested in the book I highly recommend the audio - for both this book and his first one. I do think Stories I Only Tell My Friends was a better book, but that does not take away from how good I found this book.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6674 comments Here's another one I could read next month. I read a wonderful piece by Rob Lowe about taking his son to college. Brought tears to my eyes frankly. So I can easily see reading one of his books.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/fa...

I now see this essay was an excerpt from the book . . .well, if it is at all representative - - I can see why you liked it!

message 3: by Ladyslott (last edited Jul 26, 2016 05:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Anita wrote: "Here's another one I could read next month. I read a wonderful piece by Rob Lowe about taking his son to college. Brought tears to my eyes frankly. So I can easily see reading one of his books.

ht..."

That excerpt is from the second book. He speaks much more about his life and dealing with his son going away to college in the first book - which is a bit better than Love Life. I don't know if you are an audio 'reader' but the audio of Stories I Only Tell My Friends is wonderful. It's very touching. It reminded me so much of how I felt leaving my daughter at University of Florida knowing it was the end of a big part of my life and the real start of her adult life and I would be 1200 miles away. I cried more than once.