You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Bone People
This topic is about The Bone People
Buddy Reads > The Bone People

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - added it

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17782 comments Cherie and I are hoping to start The Bone People on the 27 July 2016. Please pop in and join us if anyone is thinking of reading this as well, or if you have read it recently (Lilisa is in this bucket and will hopefully be popping in and out too).

Looks like lots of us are thinking about reading it for the Geocaching Challenge, so will be fun to read it together.

Lilisa | 2501 comments Thanks for setting up the thread Rusalka. I got the book back from the library so I can re-read and refresh my memory. Looking forward to you guys' perspective and discussing along the way.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments I read the prologue three times. I had to look up
inchoate and prescient.

What's marae? "He" is easy and happy. People smile and accept him. "She" is heavy and overpowering. She thinks it is funny. She joined with "them" - people. Together, the people have power.

IN THE BEGINNING. A boat wreck. A boy? He has been through a separation before? Or a wreck? A couple found the boy? Timote and Hana are dead? They took who away - to prison? Was that Marama? Is Ngakau supposed to take care of the child? Is it the child from the boat? A white child?

I don't get the tower, but it sounded neat. Is this a prison? The tower was a dream?

Am I over thinking this?

I'll be back after I read Portrait of a Sandal.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments Read to page 24. I gotta get some sleep. 8:30 am meeting after ~ 5 hrs sleep. Not good.

Yes, ignore all the stuff above. Loving it so far.
Met Holmes and the "guttersnipe". Smiling! Ended just after radio call.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1649 comments I am curious to see what you think of this one. I read it years ago. It is one of those books that I felt I should like but didn't. I have found that discussions often help with this type of book,

Annerlee | 2713 comments I have The Bone People on my Kindle and would like to join in, if that's ok...?
I hope to start reading it this evening.

message 7: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - added it

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17782 comments Sounds great Annerlee. Will be great to have you with us.

I've been caught up with life again. I'll hopefully start in the next day.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments I am somewhere in the middle of chapter 2.
All of these characters seem to be damaged souls.

It is hard to figure out some of the meanings in the conversations. It is definitely an interesting way of writing.

I am not sure how to discuss it. I am just trying to take it all in, so far.

Lilisa | 2501 comments That's exactly how I felt, Cherie. It is very different sort of book and characters - damaged, is a good word -- all battling demons -- Kerewin, Simon and Joe and especially Simon. I like Kerewin's matter-of-fact approach to connecting with Simon - no nonsense, treats him like she would any other kid and sees through his guiles.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments In chapter 2. Joe tells the story of Simon to Kerewin. What I found more interesting was what she was thinking about on her walk home.
We only get small, broken glimpses of her life and why she is alone and on the outs with her family. I know it is early, but I want to know more about her. (view spoiler)

I am into chapter 3. Lots of information and finding out things on Kere's part. I loved her diary entry "It is six and a half years since I last wrote." Like a confession to a priest.

I love her humor and how she talks to herself.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments I am off to read some more in Weaving a Navajo Blanket. I need something to take the edge off between the stupidity of Galápagos and the struggle (albeit compelling) story of Joe, Kerewin and Simon. Word therapy in wool...

message 12: by Annerlee (last edited Aug 01, 2016 04:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annerlee | 2713 comments I'm still reading chapter 1 ... just shared a 'drink' with Simon.

I'm having to read much more slowly than usual.. keep having to backtrack and re-read whole paragraphs to (try and) get to the fragmented meaning.

I've put the rest of my comments in spoiler tags, although I think you're all further ahead than me.

(view spoiler)

Enjoying the journey so far, although the book seems too intense for relaxing bedtime reading...

message 13: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2016 05:52AM) (new) - added it

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17782 comments I have picked this up today.

Sorry for the delay in joining in, I've had the most amazing bout of the flu. Think i"m on the mend after the beginning a week ago, eye of the storm, and then the huge whammy these past 5 days. Today I could make it to the clothesline and back without having to take an hour nap afterwards. And I'm not embellishing.

Annerlee | 2713 comments Rusalka wrote: "I have picked this up today.

Sorry for the delay in joining in, I've had the most amazing bout of the flu. Think i"m on the mend after the beginning a week ago, eye of the storm, and then the hug..."

Hi Rusalka.
Glad to hear you're on the mend. I feel with you. I was off sick with flu in February... Make sure you take it easy and don't scrimp on the naps!

Lilisa | 2501 comments Doesn't sound like you've been having fun, Rusalka. Good to hear you're feeling better. I see resting up with a good book in your future!

message 16: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - added it

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17782 comments Thanks guys. Unfortunately my fluffy read when I recognised I was getting sick 10 days ago was so bloody annoying, I only finished it today. It probably would have been a bit gobbly-gook if I read in in the past 3 days anyway, although I would have given it a go if it wasn't so frustrating.

Just explaining my absence :)

message 17: by Cherie (last edited Aug 01, 2016 01:29PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments I agree with having to read slowly and go back and reread to pick up the meaning, Annerlee. I think I read chapter 1 twice over at the beginning. (view spoiler)

It seems to get a little easier to read, either that or I am missing a lot. It is kind of like being able to read TravisNY's typing. I always seem to know what he means. LOL!

I agree, Rusalka - take care. I was working outside yesterday and had to come in and take a break so I could go back out and work some more. I guess I finally have to admit I am getting old.

message 18: by Renee (new) - rated it 1 star

Renee (elenarenee) | 1649 comments Rusalka wrote: "I have picked this up today.

Sorry for the delay in joining in, I've had the most amazing bout of the flu. Think i"m on the mend after the beginning a week ago, eye of the storm, and then the hug..."

Sorry to hear this. Hope you are getting better

message 19: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - added it

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17782 comments I made it to work today. Only to be turned around at the door and sent straight home.

I've read 6 pages!

Annerlee | 2713 comments I'm not sure why I thought Kerewin was bitter... I maybe need to re-review the fragments at the beginning of the chapter. (view spoiler)

Annerlee | 2713 comments Rusalka wrote: "I made it to work today. Only to be turned around at the door and sent straight home.

I've read 6 pages!"

I've read just a few more than six, but keep re-reading, so you'll probably overtake me soon.

.. they are looking out for you at work? That's why they sent you home, to get better?? Hoping so.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments I am still in the beginning part of chapter 3. All of these little sections are like little mini scenes.
(view spoiler)

I could see why you might think Kerewin bitter. She is very snide about things. And then she questions herself and seems to relax her attitude. She appears to have been alone in some kind of self imposed exile for a while and is not used to having company. That is what I got out of it.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments Mostly in the middle of chapter 3.

Hmm, the story has taken a turn to the dark, if I am reading this right. You will know when you get there. Let's talk about it then.

I am a little annoyed. I wasn't expecting a Maori language course. Good thing there is a translation in the back pages ( in my book copy on pages 446 - 450). It is getting well used.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments Chapter 3 - almost at the end. (view spoiler)

This from page 151 in my book. I Googled "the overture to La Gaza Ladra" and listened to this before I read more and see it discussed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MRvD...

message 25: by Annerlee (last edited Aug 05, 2016 08:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annerlee | 2713 comments Kerewin says'Yet nobody's stomped on my heart except family, so why am I so mistrustful of people?'(15% in)

Thought it gives a good glimpse of the past and present.

Speaking of family,(view spoiler)

message 26: by Annerlee (last edited Aug 05, 2016 08:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annerlee | 2713 comments Cherie wrote: " I am a little annoyed. I wasn't expecting a Maori language course..."

I know what you mean. But at least I now know what Kia Ora means... I always thought it was just orange juice!
We all adore a Kia Ora!

Kia Ora Juice

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments Oh how fun. I have never heard of this. Great comic!

message 28: by Cherie (last edited Aug 09, 2016 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments Back to reading this one today...
Chapter 4
FYI on a word that is not in the glossary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bach_(N...

message 29: by Cherie (last edited Aug 11, 2016 08:06PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments I read Chapter 4 and 5 until late last night. More revelations regarding all three characters. I am beyond fascinated with the story, but I wish I could understand what Kerewin is talking about/thinking at times. It is hard to break things down in these long chapters. Actually, I have enjoyed the "action" in these last two chapters. Kerewin is amazing!

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments I finished chapter 6 today. I had a bunch of spoilers and I lost them when someone at work came to ask a question and I left GR without saving my post.

Is anyone there?

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments I finished section III today. I didn't understand half of it and the part I did, awful things happened. I am really torn. I could quit right now. 335 of 445 pages. Can I count it as a book read for my Geo challenge?

I will pick up with the group read again and start my monthly challenge book while I decide if I'm really done with Mz. Hume.

Lilisa | 2501 comments I wonder what your decision will be Cherie? I was surprised how at the descriptive awful things throughout the book and particularly Part III. IT was tough going but since I'd never read a book like this before, was a Geo challenge book and I wanted to see how it ended, I kept going. I struggled rating it between a 2and 3 but gave it a higher rating because while I didn't "enjoy" the book, it was eye opening and I learned some about the culture, assuming it was factual. I also thought the writing style was pretty unique, conveying a lot through nuanced sentences although I felt often having to do too much work and subject to interpretation. Bottom line - I wouldn't recommend the book for light reading pleasure...

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments Thanks , Lilisa. At least I know it is not just me. I haven't decided yet.

I finished my group read book, The Garden of Evening Mists, and actually enjoyed the last 25%. It felt different at the end, to me, for some reason. I was happy with how it ended even.

I started Me Before You yesterday afternoon and could barely put it down. I even woke up early this morning to read it. I must be one of the last few people on the planet to finally be reading it. I didn't even know what it was about until I started it. I have avoided all the hype, but I understand it now.

message 34: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - added it

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17782 comments Oh the anticipation!

I am so incredibly sorry about my lack of participation. Sickness, life, house buying, have all gotten in the way. And 90% of it was unplanned (sister in law's 30th, and cheesemaking were a known factor).

I am carrying it around with me and beginning to read snippets (I re read the first pages I read earlier).

Sorry for being a dodgy buddy reader.

message 35: by Renee (new) - rated it 1 star

Renee (elenarenee) | 1649 comments Cherie wrote: "Thanks , Lilisa. At least I know it is not just me. I haven't decided yet.

I finished my group read book, The Garden of Evening Mists, and actually enjoyed the last 25%. It felt different at the e..."

I loved me before you.

The Bone People is a book I kept reading because I felt I should like it. I didn't. I can't say why. What is everyone feeling. Maybe your opinions can help me understand why this book made me feel almost angry.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments No worries, Rusalka. Life happens.

I am still reading it Lilisa. I picked it back up after I finished Me Before You. I read about 40 pages yesterday and the next section/chapter and chapter I will start on is called The Boy on His Own. I think it is chapter 11.

Renee - I can see why you feel angry. I agree. I am angry at Joe, still! I am totally frustrated by not understanding half of what I am reading, but I am almost done. I want to admire the author for sticking to her own unique writing style but it definitely makes it hard to wallow through it or discuss. I am not a fan of the vague.

On the other side of the coin and at a high level I can accept the vagueness as a dream state. I understand what is happening, not where it is going yet. The last chapter left enough clues to make me see a possible ending though. I am probably wrong but I will see.

I am grateful for the glossary and page references of the Maori terms and phrases but an additional section with an alphabetical order may have been more helpful to look them up. I can read along without looking things up for a while, but then I get confused and want to know!

Overall- this book is confusing! I want to like it but I doubt I could recommend it to my real life friends. Are we crazy readers or what????

Lilisa | 2501 comments Hats off to you for continuing, Cherie. MBY was a perfect book to take a break with. I never could figure out the reason why Joe was the way he was - and, I can see why his behavior and other things in the book elicits anger, Renee, and also frustration. i thought there was a lot of selfishness and self-centeredness going on. Kerewin with her issues, Joe with his and not a lot of focus on Simon who really needed attention and understanding...

message 38: by Renee (new) - rated it 1 star

Renee (elenarenee) | 1649 comments I agree it was confusing. It had such a clever premise. I made myself finish it. It was just not a satisfying read. It does help to hear what others thought. I still hate the book.

message 39: by Cherie (last edited Aug 22, 2016 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments My eyes need a break. I have a headache from eye strain, I think. My plan was to finish this story before starting another after my toppler book was finished. I am going to give my eyes a rest and my ears a treat and start League of Dragons.

message 40: by Renee (new) - rated it 1 star

Renee (elenarenee) | 1649 comments I just got League from the library. Its our family reunion this week. I am saving it for later. I love my family but all of them at once...... lol

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments Renee wrote: "I just got League from the library. Its our family reunion this week. I am saving it for later. I love my family but all of them at once...... lol"

I am about half way through, Renee. It starts right in where the last one left off. It is worth waiting for.

message 42: by Cherie (last edited Aug 24, 2016 06:25PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments I finished! Not my favorite book of the year, but I don't hate it.

I have no idea what happened to Kerewin (view spoiler)

The boy (view spoiler)

Joe (view spoiler)

Annerlee | 2713 comments Sorry for my lack of participation - we've had family staying for the last two weeks and I leant my Kindle to my sister in law so couldn't continue reading this (ebook version)

I'm just over 50% through (part way through chapter 5 -Spring Tide, Neap Tide, Ebb Tide, Flood

Finding it hard to follow sometimes because of the rapid changes in time and point of view.

The dynamics between the characters are disturbing at times but keeping my interest. Not a page turner though...

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments Take your time, Annerlee. I will check and see if you have any new comments as you go along. I know what you mean about loaning your e-reader. I loaned my Nook tablet to my granddaughter and I am dying to get it back! She had her own Nook, but never used it, so I loaned it to my daughter and she had loaned it to her neighbor, the last time I asked. Arggghh.

message 45: by Annerlee (last edited Aug 31, 2016 07:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annerlee | 2713 comments I got my Kindle back (YAY!!) and finished this yesterday. I found the last half easier to follow (although I must admit I skipped some Maori and convoluted paragraphs with a shrug of my shoulders... whatever...) With regards to your spoiler comments, I've written down a few thoughts

Kerewin: (view spoiler)

The boy (view spoiler)

Joe (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20686 comments Wow, Annerlee, thanks so much for your comments on mine at the ending. I didn't completely miss the boat. My canoe got swamped but you helped me bailed it out. :)

Okay - that makes sense about where the Maori Hall was. Oh - I could not understand who was describing the scene in the spiral (view spoiler).

Re Simon (view spoiler)

Re Joe (view spoiler)

If Rusalka ever gets through this one - I am dying to hear what she has to say. Kristie made some comments on my review. I guess she really liked the book.

message 47: by Annerlee (last edited Aug 31, 2016 04:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annerlee | 2713 comments I agree Cherie - it would be good to hear from Rusalka and Kristie to get some other viewpoints.
I'm pretty sure I've missed out on loads of details. (having skipped over paragraphs)

I like yr canoe metaphore - it fits well!