The Vonnegut Reading Group discussion

Help! Is this a Vonnegut book?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nina (new)

Nina | 1 comments Hello fellow readers. I have a problem. A memory problem.
I can't stop thinking about what I believe is a story within a novel. I believe it is contained in Vonnegut book because I was reading many of his works at the time. Bear with me, I'm not sure if I will make sense.
The story I'm referring to is more of an idea: I remember reading something about Earth dying out. People were scarce and to move onto another planet or "heaven" or a better condition, you had to die. But in this scenario, people weren't waiting around. They were dying by suicide. It spoke of families dwindling down slowly. I believe it also spoke of people sitting in their garages with the cars on.
I recall a character having conflict with this. Wanting to go and be with everyone, but not wanting to leave Earth.

Is this story/idea familiar to anyone? Is it Vonnegut? Bradbury? It's been eating away at me and no search has turned up anything.

Help help help
Thanks
Nina

message 2: by Kent (new)

Kent | 1 comments I am a huge Vonnegut fan, but I don't believe this is one of his stories. It's not the plot from any of his main novels anyways, though it does sound like something he would write or something like it. It could be a short story by him that I don't recall. I haven't read those in a while. Sorry I can't answer your question, but maybe that will narrow it down a little.

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 6 comments I also don't recall a Vonnegut story like this, and sounds a little too dark to be Bradbury. But this does sound like content Arthur C. Clark would write. Have you read anything by him by chance?

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 2 comments Do you mean 2BR02B?

There was an idea somewhere in a novel about volunteer suicides in factories which may have had purple or orange rooves I believe - a Kilgore Trout story even? I can't remember which novel though, perhaps Sirens or Galapagos potentially.

message 5: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Fuqua (csfuqua) | 3 comments Nina wrote: "Hello fellow readers. I have a problem. A memory problem.
I can't stop thinking about what I believe is a story within a novel. I believe it is contained in Vonnegut book because I was reading many..."

Vonnegut employed "purple-roofed Ethical Suicidal Parlors" in the short story "Welcome to the Monkey House" and the novel "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater." These parlors are designed for "ethical" suicide where a customer receives a free meal at the adjoining Howard Johnson's prior suicide. Suicide is considered patriotic in its goal to control over-population.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 2 comments Bingo, well played

message 7: by Pavel R. (new)

Pavel R. Ocampo (lssiel) | 2 comments Did you find the novel? I would like to read it!

message 8: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Fuqua (csfuqua) | 3 comments Ls wrote: "Did you find the novel? I would like to read it!"

Please refer to message 5: the short story "Welcome to the Monkey House" and the novel "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater."

message 9: by Pavel R. (new)

Pavel R. Ocampo (lssiel) | 2 comments C.S. wrote: "Ls wrote: "Did you find the novel? I would like to read it!"

Please refer to message 5: the short story "Welcome to the Monkey House" and the novel "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.""

Thanks a lot! Sorry for not referring, I'm new here! Greetings!

message 10: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Fuqua (csfuqua) | 3 comments Ls wrote: "C.S. wrote: "Ls wrote: "Did you find the novel? I would like to read it!"

Please refer to message 5: the short story "Welcome to the Monkey House" and the novel "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.""

T..."

I apologize for sounding curt. Didn't mean to. "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater" is one of my favorites, full of Vonnegut grace and wit. I hope you enjoy it. Take care--