2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > August - Your New Book Friend

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kadijah Michelle (last edited Jul 26, 2016 05:00AM) (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Signs You’ve Found Your New Book Friend:
Duration August 1, 2016 - August 31, 2016

Using a list I found on Buzzfeed, I have created a challenge that will help you connect with new friends in the 2016 Reading Challenge Group based on the books you read in each category! The plan is to see who will be compatible, or even read the same books to meet each challenge.
*Beware* Friend requests should be a side effect of participating in this challenge!

1. Good friends speak a special dialect that is only understood between themselves...so do book lovers! We all have that special genre that creates that special speech pattern that only other lovers of that genre can understand. Choose a book from your favorite genre and see who else in the group loves that genre too.

2. Good friends can call each other at anytime of the day or the night...just the same way a good book is. Re-read one of your favorite books that is always on your shelf ready to read and see who loves the same book.

3. Good friends love all your statuses and will give you the highest approval ratings...just the as we do with our favorite books. Find a book that is highly rated by other members of the group (See our Recommended by 2016 Reading Challengers Listopia).

4. Good friends share the same guilty pleasures...just like there are some books you can't help reading. Find a book you are reading just for the fun of it, and not because it is a great literary masterpiece, and see who shares your guilty pleasure.

5. Good friends will know each other’s wardrobes libraries inside and out...just like they will know each other's libraries. To find a book for this task, you must ask someone from this group to recommend a book to you that they own.

6. Good friends are also friends with all the other people close in your life...just the same way we do when we love a book, we read everything written by the same author. Read a book written by a favorite author and see who else loves that same author.

7. Good friends can discuss any topic freely including money, sex, religion, and family...just the same way a book can be written on any subject. Read a non-fiction on any subject that interests you and see who also shares your same interest.

8. Finally, good friends share wonderful memories...just like when we read a truly wonderful book. Read any book you have been longing to read and recommend it to another member of the group so that you can create a lasting memory together.

message 2: by Kadijah Michelle (last edited Sep 03, 2016 04:18AM) (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments I will be leading this challenge.

Participants
Anna 5/5 Completed!
Ariel 4/3 Completed!
Bridget 1/2
Cassandra 0/5
Charity 4/4 Completed!
Christa 8/8 Completed!
Claire 1/5
Daniela 2/2 Completed!
Erika 0/4
Gabriella 0/3
Heather 8/8 Completed!
Jo 3/5
Kadijah Michelle 1/3
Kelly 1/4
Lindsay 7/3 Completed!
Maria 0/3
Megan 5/5 Completed!
Monique 3/3 Completed!
Nicole 2/2 Completed!
Rachael 5/5 Completed!
Rachel 3/3 Completed!
Sam F 3/3 Completed!
Sherry 5/5 Completed!
Steph & Manda 3/4
Stephanie (R-A) 5/5 Completed!
Susan C 2/2 Completed!
Tiffany 3/4
Vernice 0/4
Winter 4/8

Well done everyone!

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments I think I will go for 3.

message 4: by Rachael (last edited Aug 24, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3353 comments I'm going to try to read 5 books for this challenge.

COMPLETED: 5/5

1. A book from your favourite genre (fantasy): Throne of Jade read 16 August, ****

2. Re-read one of your favourite books that is always on your shelf ready to read: Temeraire read 9 August, *****

3. Find a book that is highly rated by other members of the group (when I checked, this book was ranked at number 18 on our listopia): The Ocean at the End of the Lane read 4 August, *** plus review

4. Find a book you are reading just for the fun of it, and not because it is a great literary masterpiece, and see who shares your guilty pleasure.

5. To find a book for this task, you must ask someone from this group to recommend a book to you that they own.

6. Read a book written by a favourite author (Naomi Novik): Black Powder War read 24 August, ****

7. Read a non-fiction on any subject that interests you and see who also shares your same interest.

8. Read any book you have been longing to read: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child read 1 August, ***** plus review

message 5: by Sam F (last edited Aug 14, 2016 07:35AM) (new)

Sam F | 1093 comments 1. Good friends speak a special dialect that is only understood between themselves...so do book lovers! We all have that special genre that creates that special speech pattern that only other lovers of that genre can understand. Choose a book from your favorite genre and see who else in the group loves that genre too. Non-fiction - Travel Memoir - Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson

2. Re-read one of your favorite books that is always on your shelf ready to read and see who loves the same book. - Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris

4. Good friends share the same guilty pleasures...just like there are some books you can't help reading. Find a book you are reading just for the fun of it, and not because it is a great literary masterpiece, and see who shares your guilty pleasure. Horror - The Demonologist by Andrew Pyper

6. Good friends are also friends with all the other people close in your life...just the same way we do when we love a book, we read everything written by the same author. Read a book written by a favorite author and see who else loves that same author. My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout

message 6: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 400 comments I'll try 3 too.

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariah90602) | 1872 comments I will also try for 3 :)

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 161 comments I'm a bit confused about how this challenge works on a technical level in terms of crossing items off. Do we just look around for others who have read the same books, or ask in the thread?

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 21, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Completed 3/3

1. Good friends speak a special dialect that is only understood between themselves...so do book lovers! We all have that special genre that creates that special speech pattern that only other lovers of that genre can understand. Choose a book from your favorite genre and see who else in the group loves that genre too : Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

3. Good friends love all your statuses and will give you the highest approval ratings...just the as we do with our favorite books. Find a book that is highly rated by other members of the group (See our Recommended by 2016 Reading Challengers Listopia): The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

6. Good friends are also friends with all the other people close in your life...just the same way we do when we love a book, we read everything written by the same author. Read a book written by a favorite author and see who else loves that same author: Bluebeard's Egg by Magraret Atwood

7. Good friends can discuss any topic freely including money, sex, religion, and family...just the same way a book can be written on any subject. Read a non-fiction on any subject that interests you and see who also shares your same interest: The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food, and Love by Kristin kimball. The reason I read this novel is because I was looking for inspiration and knowledge on how to build a CSA (since I want to start one within the next two years, assuming everything goes according to plans)

message 10: by Cassandra (last edited Jul 26, 2016 04:12PM) (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I'll go in for 5!

Rachael, the "see who else agrees" parts are mostly for fun! As long as the book meets the first part of the prompt, you'll be good to count it. :)

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 161 comments In that case, I will aim for 3.

message 12: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4678 comments All 8 :)

message 13: by Charity (last edited Aug 31, 2016 08:45PM) (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 1465 comments I will try for 4.

4/4

1. Good friends speak a special dialect that is only understood between themselves...so do book lovers! We all have that special genre that creates that special speech pattern that only other lovers of that genre can understand. Choose a book from your favorite genre and see who else in the group loves that genre too. Skeleton Crew 8/26/16

2. Good friends can call each other at anytime of the day or the night...just the same way a good book is. Re-read one of your favorite books that is always on your shelf ready to read and see who loves the same book. To Kill a Mockingbird8/3/16

3. Good friends love all your statuses and will give you the highest approval ratings...just the as we do with our favorite books. Find a book that is highly rated by other members of the group (See our Recommended by 2016 Reading Challengers Listopia).

4. Good friends share the same guilty pleasures...just like there are some books you can't help reading. Find a book you are reading just for the fun of it, and not because it is a great literary masterpiece, and see who shares your guilty pleasure. Go Set a Watchman 8/6/16

5. Good friends will know each other’s wardrobes libraries inside and out...just like they will know each other's libraries. To find a book for this task, you must ask someone from this group to recommend a book to you that they own.

6. Good friends are also friends with all the other people close in your life...just the same way we do when we love a book, we read everything written by the same author. Read a book written by a favorite author and see who else loves that same author. The Vampire Lestat 8/20/16

7. Good friends can discuss any topic freely including money, sex, religion, and family...just the same way a book can be written on any subject. Read a non-fiction on any subject that interests you and see who also shares your same interest.

8. Finally, good friends share wonderful memories...just like when we read a truly wonderful book. Read any book you have been longing to read and recommend it to another member of the group so that you can create a lasting memory together.

message 14: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 29, 2016 09:05AM) (new)

Stephanie  | 976 comments I am going in for 5:

1. Book that is a Guilty Pleasure: The Diviners (Finished 8/6/2016)
2. Book that is Highly Rated: Lord of the Flies
3. Book that is my favorite genre (Sci-Fi)- Jurassic Park
4. Book I've Wanted to Read-Middlesex
5. Non-Fiction Book- Joan of Arc: A Life Transfigured

Total Read: 5/5- Finished!

message 15: by Kadijah Michelle (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Cassandra wrote: "I'll go in for 5!

Rachael, the "see who else agrees" parts are mostly for fun! As long as the book meets the first part of the prompt, you'll be good to count it. :)"

Great explanation Cassandra! By the way, do you want to set the example and read No god but God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam for #7 together?

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (prater0115) | 17 comments We're going for 4!

message 17: by Megan, Challenges (last edited Aug 27, 2016 01:02PM) (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6837 comments I'll join in for five!

Signs You’ve Found Your New Book Friend:

1. Choose a book from your favorite genre and see who else in the group loves that genre too. - Between Love and Honor by Alexandra LaPierre - completed

2. Re-read one of your favorite books that is always on your shelf ready to read and see who loves the same book.

3. Find a book that is highly rated by other members of the group (See our Recommended by 2016 Reading Challengers Listopia).

4. Find a book you are reading just for the fun of it, and not because it is a great literary masterpiece, and see who shares your guilty pleasure. - A Beauty So Rare by Tamera Alexander - completed

5. To find a book for this task, you must ask someone from this group to recommend a book to you that they own.

6. Read a book written by a favorite author and see who else loves that same author. - At the Edge of the Orchard by Tracy Chevalier - completed

7. Read a non-fiction on any subject that interests you and see who also shares your same interest. - A Deadly Wandering: A Tale of Tragedy and Redemption in the Age of Attention by Matt Richtel - completed

8. Read any book you have been longing to read and recommend it to another member of the group so that you can create a lasting memory together. - Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - completed

5/5 - challenge completed!

message 18: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4678 comments Question Kadijah. Can I use a book a friend in the group has rated highly but not voted for in Listopia?

message 19: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Yes, Kadijah! I would love to do that.

Winter - that's fine. The Listopia can be used for inspiration, but it's not required.

message 20: by Ariel (last edited Aug 21, 2016 10:39AM) (new)

Ariel  (lamot_amant) | 728 comments I'd like to join with a goal of 3, please.

[4 of 3 Read]

1. Choose a book from your favorite genre and see who else in the group loves that genre too.

• Read: Stiletto by Daniel O'Malley
• New Book Friends: [Who else loves science fiction/fantasy?]

2. Re-read one of your favorite books that is always on your shelf ready to read and see who loves the same book.

3. Find a book that is highly rated by other members of the group (See our Recommended by 2016 Reading Challengers Listopia).

• Read: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell; review

4. Find a book you are reading just for the fun of it, and not because it is a great literary masterpiece, and see who shares your guilty pleasure.

• Read: The Last One by Alexandra Oliva; review
• New Book Friend: Dystopian novels are a big guilty pleasure for me. Add in an apocalypse and I'm there.

6. Read a book written by a favorite author and see who else loves that same author.

• Read: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two by J.K. Rowling
• New Book Friends: [Who else loves J.K. Rowling?]

7. Read a non-fiction on any subject that interests you and see who also shares your same interest.

8. Read any book you have been longing to read and recommend it to another member of the group so that you can create a lasting memory together.

message 21: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikarae) | 708 comments This is fun! I'll try for 4 please :)

message 22: by Heather (last edited Aug 23, 2016 10:43PM) (new)

Heather (bigaitchc) I'm in, I will go for all 8 :)

1. Choose a book from your favourite genre and see who else in the group loves that genre too. - The Hunter

2. Re-read one of your favourite books that is always on your shelf ready to read and see who loves the same book. - Kane and Abel

3. Find a book that is highly rated by other members of the group (See our Recommended by 2016 Reading Challengers Listopia). - The Fault in Our Stars

4. Find a book you are reading just for the fun of it, and not because it is a great literary masterpiece, and see who shares your guilty pleasure. - The Crucifix Killer

5. To find a book for this task, you must ask someone from this group to recommend a book to you that they own. Black & Blue

6. Read a book written by a favourite author and see who else loves that same author. - My Husband's Wife

7. Read a non-fiction on any subject that interests you and see who also shares your same interest. The Journey in Between

8. Read any book you have been longing to read and recommend it to another member of the group so that you can create a lasting memory together. Fractured

8/8

message 23: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (lilsherry) | 699 comments I'm in for 5!!!!

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 18, 2016 03:29AM) (new)

***COMPLETE***

1. Choose a book from your favorite genre and see who else in the group loves that genre too.
Historical Fiction - Spark of Life: A Novel of Resistance by Erich Maria Remarque ★★☆☆☆ Read from August 16 to 18, 2016

3. Find a book that is highly rated by other members of the group.
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak ★★★★★ Read from August 07 to 11, 2016

Empire of the Ants by Bernard Werber ★★★★★ Read from August 04 to 07, 2016

6. Read a book written by a favorite author and see who else loves that same author.
Lady Susan by Jane Austen ★★★☆☆ Read from August 02 to 03, 2016

8. Read any book you have been longing to read and recommend it to another member of the group so that you can create a lasting memory together.
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens ★★★★☆ Read from July 30 to August 04, 2016

5/5

message 25: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Rosas | 96 comments I will try 2 book's

message 26: by Lindsay (last edited Aug 15, 2016 02:55AM) (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments I will try for 3 please.

Using a list I found on Buzzfeed, I have created a challenge that will help you connect with new friends in the 2016 Reading Challenge Group based on the books you read in each category! The plan is to see who will be compatible, or even read the same books to meet each challenge.
*Beware* Friend requests should be a side effect of participating in this challenge!

1. Good friends speak a special dialect that is only understood between themselves...so do book lovers! We all have that special genre that creates that special speech pattern that only other lovers of that genre can understand. Choose a book from your favorite genre and see who else in the group loves that genre too. Rivers of London

2. Good friends can call each other at anytime of the day or the night...just the same way a good book is. Re-read one of your favorite books that is always on your shelf ready to read and see who loves the same book. The Secret Island

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

4. Good friends share the same guilty pleasures...just like there are some books you can't help reading. Find a book you are reading just for the fun of it, and not because it is a great literary masterpiece, and see who shares your guilty pleasure.
The Dog Who Dared to Dream

5. Good friends will know each other’s wardrobes libraries inside and out...just like they will know each other's libraries. To find a book for this task, you must ask someone from this group to recommend a book to you that they own. A Study in Scarlet

6. Good friends are also friends with all the other people close in your life...just the same way we do when we love a book, we read everything written by the same author. Read a book written by a favorite author and see who else loves that same author. Agatha Raisin: Dishing the Dirt

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child *****

7/3

message 27: by Kelly (last edited Aug 01, 2016 02:20PM) (new)

Kelly (kellysrambles) | 1000 comments Sign me up for 4 please! :)

Signs You've Found Your New Book Friend
Duration: August 1st - August 31st 2016

A challenge that will help you connect with new friends in the 2016 Reading Challenge Group based on the books you read in each category! The plan is to see who will be compatible, or even read the same books to meet each challenge.

1. Choose a book from your favourite genre and see who else in the group loves that genre too.

2. Re-read one of your favourite books that is always on your shelf ready to read and see who loves the same book.

4. Find a book you are reading just for the fun of it, and not because it is a great literary masterpiece.

6. Read a book written by a favourite author and see who else loves that same author. - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, Jack Thorne ✔

8. Read any book you have been longing to read.

Completed: 1/4

message 28: by Nicole (last edited Jul 31, 2016 04:26PM) (new)

Nicole Woods (nicole_woods65) | 924 comments Interesting Challenge. I'll try for 2!

message 29: by Kadijah Michelle (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Winter wrote: "Question Kadijah. Can I use a book a friend in the group has rated highly but not voted for in Listopia?"

Sure Winter!

By the way, I'm not going to be checking up on you all. We for the most part go on the honor system around here.

message 30: by Heather (new)

Heather (bigaitchc) And so my August challenge is off to a great start, read The Fault in Our Stars from the Listopia - just loved it.

1/8

message 31: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3353 comments Updated message 4. 1/5

Read any book you have been longing to read: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
I would recommend this to anyone who likes Harry Potter (that's everyone, right? :P)

message 32: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellysrambles) | 1000 comments Updated #27.

6. Read a book written by a favourite author and see who else loves that same author. - Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, Jack Thorne ✔

1/4 complete!

message 33: by Lindsay (new)

message 34: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6837 comments Completed #6 (favorite author) - At the Edge of the Orchard by Tracy Chevalier. I appreciate Chevalier's writing, always have, but her characters are hit or miss for me. If I hadn't started reading this book at the airport, it would have taken me awhile to get into the story. Worth reading. 3.5 stars

Anyone else a Chevalier fan?

1/5

message 35: by Heather (new)

Heather (bigaitchc) Second book done, for favourite author read My Husband's Wife by Amanda Prowse.

2/8

message 36: by Heather (new)

Heather (bigaitchc) Could someone recommend a book for me to read as per number 5 criteria, I like family drama, psychological thrillers, police v criminal or true crime :)
Thank you

message 37: by Rachael (last edited Aug 03, 2016 09:14AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3353 comments Heather wrote: "Could someone recommend a book for me to read as per number 5 criteria, I like family drama, psychological thrillers, police v criminal or true crime :)
Thank you"

Hi Heather,
James Patterson is quite good at writing police vs criminal thrillers so I would recommend one of his books. How about Black & Blue? It is one of his Bookshots which are less than 200 pages long and costs about $2/£1.50. Plus, this was published this year so if you are doing the 2016 Goodreads Choice Awards Challenge, it will count there too.
:)

message 38: by Christa (last edited Aug 15, 2016 05:46AM) (new)

Christa (lessthn3) | 298 comments Sign me up for 8! Could someone recommend a book for #5? I love young adult fantasy best of all, though any sci-fi/fantasy would suffice. :) I've read quite a bit so please try for something not already on my read shelf!

8/8

1. Choose a book from your favourite genre and see who else in the group loves that genre too.
The Beauty of Darkness

2. Re-read one of your favourite books that is always on your shelf ready to read and see who loves the same book.
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

3. Find a book that is highly rated by other members of the group.
Beauty Queens

4. Find a book you are reading just for the fun of it, and not because it is a great literary masterpiece.
Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

6. Read a book written by a favourite author and see who else loves that same author.
The Archived

Fat Girl Walking: Sex, Food, Love, and Being Comfortable in Your Skin...Every Inch of It

8. Read any book you have been longing to read.
The Star-Touched Queen

Completed 8/14/2016

message 39: by Eric (new)

Eric Klein | 13 comments Thy Neighbor's wife by Gay Talese

JustThatBookishBabe (justthatbookishgirl) I'm in for 4.

1. Choose a book from your favorite genre and see who else in the group loves it.

2. Find a book highly rated by other members.

3. Find a book you are reading just for the fun of it, and not because it's a great literary masterpiece, and who shares your guilty pleasure.

4. Read a book you've been longing to read and recommend it to another member of the group so that you can create a lasting memory together.

message 41: by Heather (new)

Heather (bigaitchc) Rachael wrote: "Heather wrote: "Could someone recommend a book for me to read as per number 5 criteria, I like family drama, psychological thrillers, police v criminal or true crime :)
Thank you"

Hi Heather,
Jame..."

Thank you :)

message 42: by Jo (last edited Aug 18, 2016 07:05PM) (new)

Jo March I'm going for five:

1. Thinking Dead: What the Zombie Apocalypse Means (This combines two favorite genres--media criticism and all things zombie apocalypse-related.)--finished
2. Vivian Apple at the End of the World
4. Mordacious--finished
7. Affairs of Honor: National Politics in the New Republic
8. The Lynching: The Epic Courtroom Battle That Brought Down the Klan

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Update to message #24.

Lady Susan by Jane Austen ★★★☆☆ Read from August 02 to 03, 2016

1/5

message 44: by Vernice (last edited Aug 04, 2016 01:13AM) (new)

Vernice (fictionfantastic) | 254 comments This sounds like fun! I'll join with 4 books:

1. Choose a book from your favorite genre and see who else in the group loves that genre too - The Magicians (Fantasy Adventure)

2. Re-read one of your favorite books that is always on your shelf ready to read and see who loves the same book -

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Update to message #24.

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens ★★★★☆ Read from July 30 to August 04, 2016

2/5

message 46: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3353 comments Updated Message 4. 2/5
For option 3, I chose a book from the group's listopia: The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would so I gave it 3 stars.

message 47: by Claire (last edited Aug 22, 2016 08:35AM) (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 278 comments 1. Choose a book from your favourite genre and see who else in the group loves that genre too.

Favourite genre - YA

The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan

1/5

message 48: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Woods (nicole_woods65) | 924 comments *Update*

1. Good friends speak a special dialect that is only understood between themselves...so do book lovers! We all have that special genre that creates that special speech pattern that only other lovers of that genre can understand. Choose a book from your favorite genre and see who else in the group loves that genre too.= Disappearance of the Butterfly by Takashi Tsujii (Poetry- one of my favourite genres.)

Goal Met So Far: 1/2

message 49: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1327 comments Update msg 26

2/3

The Dog Who Dared to Dream by Sun-mi Hwang

message 50: by JustThatBookishBabe (last edited Aug 05, 2016 05:22PM) (new)

JustThatBookishBabe (justthatbookishgirl) Update to message 40

4 Read a book you have been longing to read and recommend it to another member of the group so that you can create a lasting memory. ✔️
Asylum
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

« previous 1 3