The Sword and Laser discussion

The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)
This topic is about The Last Wish
2016 Reads > TLW: The Last Wish is the August 2016 book!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by terpkristin (last edited Jul 26, 2016 02:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

terpkristin | 4211 comments Looking forward to reading a Witcher book! And the Kindle edition is Whispersync for Voice enabled. I wonder how easy the audio will be to listen to; if the names are Polish, it might be tough. If you get the Kindle edition for U$6.99, you can add the Audible narration for U$10.49.

Kristina | 588 comments Oh that's a fun one! I love the games some much, I've read a couple of the books already. Can't wait!

Jessica (apsalar) | 43 comments It is a wonderful read. Also added a lot of depth to the game, knowing more about the characters background. Having the witcher soundtracks in the background also adds to the reading experience!

message 4: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Jul 26, 2016 07:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3656 comments Mod
I can't wait to see how Veronica pronounces his first name ;-)
I think we are all going to struggle with that one.
It looks like it is pronounced Anjay Sapkovski

Here is a Polish pronunciation of his name. Andrzej Sapkowski

I've been meaning to play the game. The 3rd one at least. This might get me into it.

Darren Tassie Dave wrote: "I can't wait to see how Veronica pronounces his first name ;-)
I think we are all going to struggle with that one.
It looks like it is pronounced Anjay Sapkovski

Here is a Polish pronunciation of ..."

Both those dudes were clearly saying Andre.

Kristina | 588 comments Apsalar wrote: "It is a wonderful read. Also added a lot of depth to the game, knowing more about the characters background. Having the witcher soundtracks in the background also adds to the reading experience!"

I loved picking up on things that I remembered from quests I did.

Sean | 355 comments Darren wrote: "Both those dudes were clearly saying Andre."

Okay, here's how BehindtheName.com says it's pronounced:

"AHND-zhay"

Which is how they're both pronouncing it. Yes, the "zh" sound kind of gets mushed together with the "d" sound, and they're so similar you might not be hearing the second one.

Ivi_kiwi | 87 comments The book hasbeen on my to read list. So, looking forward to reading it.

message 9: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments I've been wanting to read this ever since Jesse Cox started his The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Let's Play, over a year ago.

Tassie Dave wrote: "I can't wait to see how Veronica pronounces his first name ;-)"

Me too!

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 516 comments Never heard of the book or the related game. It seems to be really positively reviewed though, so lets give it a go!

Michelle (emolivarez) | 12 comments OH! I am excited for this read! I've had the book on my shelf for a while and have yet to read it!

Matthew (matthewdl) | 352 comments Wonderful! The only problem I forsee is balancing my time between the book and the game. August could be a very reclusive month...

Emily (emilyabear) | 44 comments I read the Last Wish and Sword of Destiny recently and am on Blood of Elves now. I'm really excited for the pick this month, especially since I don't have to worry about actually reading it.

Also really glad Veronica went with the Last Wish instead of going straight into the saga. Blood of Elves is great so far, but I definitely would have had a lot of questions without the two books of short stories.

Scott | 312 comments This is the first time we've read a book I've already read! It was a great read and I really enjoyed it, maybe more so than the game

message 15: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3656 comments Mod
Darren wrote: "Both those dudes were clearly saying Andre."

My hearing has been stuffed by working around heavy machinery in the mining industry for 30 years ;-)

It still sounds like Anjay to me. Though I can sort of hear the "AHND-zhay" that Sean mentions.
I will stick with my lazy Aussie-fication of his name or just call him Andy ;-)

message 16: by Darren (last edited Jul 27, 2016 05:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Darren Sean wrote: "Darren wrote: "Both those dudes were clearly saying Andre."

Okay, here's how BehindtheName.com says it's pronounced:

"AHND-zhay"

Which is how they're both pronouncing it. Yes, the "zh" sound kin..."

No matter what behind the name says, if you're not hearing the liquid (r) in both of those pronunciations, you're not listening. It's very clear in both.

The only real issue is that the first is saying AndrAE and the second more AndrEE

message 17: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean | 355 comments Darren wrote: "No matter what behind the name says, if you're not hearing the liquid (r) in both of those pronunciations, you're not listening. It's very clear in both."

I can understand how you could hear that, but I've listened to both several times, and it is there. You're combining the [d] and [ʒ] into one sound. Here's another example that's a bit slower:

https://translate.google.com/#pl/fr/a...

It's exactly the same.

message 19: by Minsta (new)

Minsta | 106 comments Tom wrote: "http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-liv..."

Muy Bueno! :D

message 20: by Darren (last edited Jul 28, 2016 04:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Darren Sean wrote: "Darren wrote: "No matter what behind the name says, if you're not hearing the liquid (r) in both of those pronunciations, you're not listening. It's very clear in both."

I can understand how you c..."

Not the same, actually. I also can't believe you're prioritizing google translate over actual speakers.

https://translate.google.com/#pl/en/h...

message 21: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 848 comments I also hear an r.

message 22: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean | 355 comments You both need to clean out your ears, then.

How about the author's Wikipedia page?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrzej...

"Andrzej Sapkowski (Polish pronunciation: [ˈandʐɛj sapˈkɔvskʲi])"

And from the Polish IPA page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IP...

"ʐ" English approximation: vision, azure

message 23: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 848 comments I've just played with pronunciations. It seems to me that if you move from the d to the rz with lips near-closed you get there with a hint of an r. I'm happy to move on from this discussion, however.

So far (middle of second story, not counting the framing story) I'm liking it. Someday I may even find the video game!

Darren Sean wrote: "You both need to clean out your ears, then.

How about the author's Wikipedia page?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrzej...

"Andrzej Sapkowski (Polish pronunciation: [ˈandʐɛj sapˈkɔvskʲi]..."

Google translate to wikipedia....

No one's arguing the sound of the fricative, nor its enunciation. Nor is anyone arguing on the correct way to pronounce Andrzej. If you wash out your eyes, and re-read my post, it's that both of the people in the link TD provided above were saying, roughly, Andre.

message 25: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean | 355 comments And I'm telling you're mishearing it in both cases.

Darren Sean wrote: "And I'm telling you're mishearing it in both cases."

And you're wrong.

message 27: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Jul 28, 2016 06:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6912 comments Mod
OK. Let's take a break from arguing over a name. It's derailing the thread.

terpkristin | 4211 comments Back on topic, my life seems to be circling around The Witcher lately. I've never played any of the games, despite them being the style of game I traditionally dig.

First, this was announced as the August pick.

Then, two different coworkers asked me if I've ever played the games. When I said that I haven't, one said that I absolutely needed to do it.

Tonight, my mom somehow heard about the series in the context of "it's a fantasy game from a Polish company." I'm half-Polish, as both of my grandparents on my mom's side were Polish (my family came to the US just before World War II). I have no idea how SHE heard about it, but there it is.

Clearly this is a sign. If I dig the book (and I fully expect to), I'm definitely going to pick up Witcher 3.

message 29: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Can yoi start with Witcher 3? I'm largely Polish too, and I've been curious about the series before learning it was by a Polish author.

I don't know when I'd find time to play though.

message 30: by Emily (last edited Jul 28, 2016 10:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emily (emilyabear) | 44 comments Rob wrote: "Can yoi start with Witcher 3? I'm largely Polish too, and I've been curious about the series before learning it was by a Polish author.

I don't know when I'd find time to play though."

The third game is the only one I've played and I enjoyed it well enough. I didn't even know there were books until I was well into the game.

Daryl | 92 comments I just finished the final game, Witcher 3, and it wrecked me. The series of games is such an amazing emotional ride. I was terribly sad to finish but have now been reading the books to my great enjoyment!

message 32: by Darren (last edited Jul 29, 2016 05:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Darren Rob wrote: "Can yoi start with Witcher 3? I'm largely Polish too, and I've been curious about the series before learning it was by a Polish author.

I don't know when I'd find time to play though."

Yes. In fact, you should. It's such a better game than 2, with all its button mashing Quick Time Events.

message 33: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean | 355 comments @Rob: I can't speak to the gameplay, but I do think you'll get more out of the experience if you at least read a plot synopsis or watch/read an LP of the first two games.

Playing any of the games will also totally spoil the books, but there's nothing to do for that.

message 34: by Lara (new) - added it

Lara | 24 comments I picked this book up a number of years ago, not realizing it was related to a video game. I read nearly all of it before becoming sidetracked. I'm glad to have the incentive to restart it.

message 35: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thanks Darren & Sean.

message 36: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 355 comments This does not appear to be available in Canada as an eBook on Kobo or Kindle. Does anyone know where it would be available, or if it's under a different title here?

message 37: by Phil (new) - rated it 3 stars

Phil | 1171 comments Caitlin Duck wrote: "This does not appear to be available in Canada as an eBook on Kobo or Kindle. Does anyone know where it would be available, or if it's under a different title here?"

I couldn't find it either Caitlin. I ended up just getting the paper version. It's weird because the later books are available in e-form.

message 38: by AndrewP (last edited Jul 31, 2016 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2533 comments Rob wrote: "OK. Let's take a break from arguing over a name. It's derailing the thread."

Yup, it's beginning to sound like the authors name is more interesting than the book :)

Shaunesay | 13 comments I'm in, the library had a kindle copy available, so I'm all ready to go. :)

message 40: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4212 comments ^Me too. It's a fast read. I started this morning and am already 1/3 done.

message 41: by Devin (new)

Devin | 2 comments I'm glad Veronica and Tom chose this one. I've been waiting to start reading a book with the group, and since I've got The Witcher 1 & 2 on Steam and XBox respectively, and I've heard nothing but glowing reviews of Witcher 3, this sounded like an ideal first S&L book for me. I've only just started playing the first Witcher game - after holding off for a long time because I was skeeved out by the game's reported "sex trading card" mechanic, I was assured things got better as the games progressed, and I was able to get it on a Steam sale for super-cheap.

I enjoy gritty fantasy along the vein of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, so even though I've been turned off by Geralt's seeming "growly unshaven lone wolf badass" template, at least the world seems interesting to me. I'm hoping that the book can make me more invested in Geralt as a character, or at the very least, familiarize me with the world he inhabits in an entertaining way.

I'm also encouraged to hear that the books were written before the games, since I've long been wary of game-based fiction. Part of me has wanted to indulge in such books, but one or two bad experiences and my inner snob have steered me away from surrendering to that secret desire...

Charles Cadenhead (thatcharliedude) | 190 comments I love how the hardcover is $406 on Amazon. lol!

message 43: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean | 355 comments Well, it is ten years old, and was imported from the UK. I got the paperback version when it first came out in English, and had to pay maybe double the cover price to have it shipped over.

Also, IMO, the medallion on the paperback version looks way better than the hardback version.

message 44: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4212 comments Hoodie Sean! You seem to love this series. Care to hold forth for a while? I didn't love it but I am curious to know what makes you enjoy this series so much.

Charles Cadenhead (thatcharliedude) | 190 comments Sean wrote: "Well, it is ten years old, and was imported from the UK. I got the paperback version when it first came out in English, and had to pay maybe double the cover price to have it shipped over.

Also, I..."

The paperback verison is like 10 bucks and the kindle one is $7. Just thought it was funny.

message 46: by Sean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean | 355 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Hoodie Sean! You seem to love this series. Care to hold forth for a while? I didn't love it but I am curious to know what makes you enjoy this series so much."

Well, I've only read the short story collections and the first novel (which came out about 10 years ago, before the second short story collection, which makes absolutely no damn sense).

As to what I like about this series, well, this was probably one of the first dark fantasy works I'd ever read. I like that both the books and the games tend to eschew the traditional good/bad, black-and-white morality in favor of more realistic complex morality. And remember, this stuff was published in the 90s, years before grmidark fantasy really exploded.

Charles wrote: "The paperback version is like 10 bucks and the kindle one is $7. Just thought it was funny."

Yes, but both of those versions are still in print. I will admit, though, that $400 is a bit much for a book that's only about 10 years old, regardless of its quality and other attributes.

message 47: by Ryne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryne | 68 comments I love Last Wish the most of the three Witcher novels I've read (Sword of Destiny and Blood of Elves being the other two.

Stephanie (cozyuptocrime) | 5 comments I'm enjoying this one so far (a little more than halfway through), and the audiobook narration is great. I've never played the games, but the book inspired me to play The Witcher III and now I'm obsessed and wish I could call in sick to work to keep playing :(

message 49: by Iain (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1500 comments Hmm, not much discussion of the actual books. This is probably because they are short action orientated books with a limited repeating cast.

Geralt is pretty limited as a character. Far to serious to have fun with his job.

If you like this sort of story a better example would be the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books (Swords and Deviltry).

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments Iain wrote: "If you like this sort of story a better example would be the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books (Swords and Deviltry). "

The Elric of Melniboné stories are good too. Elric is an, um, I'll call him an "obvious inspiration" for Geralt.

« previous 1