What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA novel that takes place in the middle east ; girl was trying to travel with this group but females were not allowed so she pretended to be a boy. And I remember this scene where shes explaining periods

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kalyn (new)

Kalyn M | 2 comments There is this one book that I feel like I have been looking forever for. I want to say I read it between 2009-2013. It sort of reminds me of a version of mulan. The main character is female and It takes place someone where in the middle east. I think the main character family died besides her brother? Or they may have been alive they were just poor. I think the family lived or hid in the rocky hills. The girl was trying to travel with this group but females were not allowed so she pretended to be a boy. And I remember this scene where shes explaining periods and what happened in her country (she spoke that traditionally women would go into these sheds while they had their period until they were done because they were viewed as dirty?) And she was freaking out because she didnt know what to do when she had hers on the road because she was supposed to be a boy. She also liked this boy that was part of the group they were traveling with.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36082 comments Mod
A guess - Broken Moon by Kim Antieau?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Jul 30, 2016 05:51PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 40254 comments Mod
Parvana's Journey?

Parvana buries her father, disguises herself as a boy, and sets out across war-torn Afghanistan to find the surviving members of her family.

MC is 13. It's middle-grades.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36082 comments Mod
Kalyn, are you still looking for this book? Is it any of the books mentioned above?

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica Moomin Halliday | 38 comments It's probably not this, but just in case: Samira and Samir by Siba Shakib?https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40254 comments Mod
Kris wrote: "Kalyn, are you still looking for this book? Is it any of the books mentioned above?"

No response in 3 years. Moving to Abandoned.

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21056 comments I know this is abandoned, but it could be Alphabet of Dreams.

The MC is disguised as a boy and gets her period while traveling with a group of men. She has to hide it, of course, so they don't realize that she's female.