Play Book Tag discussion

Unlikely Companions: The Adventures of an Exotic Animal Doctor (or, What Friends Feathered, Furred, and Scaled Have Taught Me about Life and Love)
This topic is about Unlikely Companions
July 2016: Biography Memoir > Unlikely Companions: Adventures of an Exotic Animal Vet - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Megalion | 484 comments A very good memoir that delivers exactly as promised. A week in the life of an exotic animal vet.

Books about animals especially ones that are pets are always a minefield. How many tissues will be needed to get through the book?

I thought Dr. Hess and her co-writer did a marvelous job of telling the stories of the animals that passed away with respect yet in an impartial enough context that I was able to read through the sad parts without reeling too much from empathic pain.

A particular week was chosen as the focus of the book as Dr. Hess ends up taking lead on investigating why across the country, newly acquired sugar glider pets were dying in rapid succession.

Not only is the book full of interesting and often funny anecdotes about patients and their humans, there's a full on mystery to be solved.

Do keep in mind, if you're looking for an in depth look at exotic animal medical care and all its nuances, this book isn't trying to do that. It's a look at a week of life for a vet, both professional and personal. Pieces of her personal life backstory, plus bits about the field of exotic animal medical field. Showing how far they've come and how hard it's been every step of the way.

Highly recommended for animal lovers.

Thank you to the publisher for the advance copy of this book in exchange for this honest review.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6671 comments Sounds good to me . . .I loved All Creatures Great and Small; do you think that is a good indicator that I might enjoy this one as well?

message 3: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8919 comments Ahhhhh, just what I need. More vet stories...

Megalion | 484 comments Yes. She actually refers to Herriott a couple times. Especially because she's on call 24/7 and gets called out in middle of the night.

It was a fast read too in my opinion. Definitely not all sugar gliders though the mystery epidemic is central to the week.