Hobb-A-Long Read-A-Long discussion

The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2)
This topic is about The Mad Ship
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 - ARCHIVED > The Mad Ship -Prologue - Chapter 4

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abner (last edited Jul 26, 2016 05:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abner | 90 comments I'm convinced now that the serpents where dragons, real dragons, not the carved Elderlings. It confused me a little and if it was explained clearly I missed. I always like how Hobb in one way or another starts her sequels with a summary of what happened in the last book, doesn't feel boring to me. Something that bathers me a bit is that Brashen promised Ephron that he will try to help Althea but he never told this to Althea nor offered help at all, he just got lucky and the went his way, to be fair Althea has a stubborn character but I feel he could have done a better job at convincing her now they are not even together.
The conversation between Jani and Reyn, what the actual F?? It was so intriguing, Where to this portals lead and why they must destroy them, she said is like the dwelling places of the Elderlings and forcing to give up their secrets, I think that she knows a lot more than she tells Reyn. I think that mine the ancient cities in search for treasures that they can trade with Bingtown, including wizardwood logs. We already know that wizardwood was alive and has it's own personality once it quickens and that is the basis for the fight they have. Also he can see the ghosts going around in the City just like Fitz did which means that the basis of their magic must be the Skill. It is clear now that they have some kind of mutation or deformation (explained as pebbled skin and dangling growths) that makes them look different because the "burden of the Cursed Shores" but Reyn's is not that extreme.
All in all I hope this book starts ramping up, since the first was more of a layout for the characters and their possible directions but since some people have said this is their favorite of the trilogy I'm eager to keep on reading!!

Sarah | 52 comments I am so excited to get to know more about the Rain Wild Traders and I really want to know what this destroyed city is about.
Now we know that the liveships have something to do with dragons and the serpents as well, at least I still thing so. Even though the wizardwood seems different than the Stones the Elderling-dragons are made from the dragons again seem "trapped" in some nonanimated material which I find really interesting.

Why does Brashen have to go down the self-loathing path it's so annoying.

Wintrow and Kennit's relationship seems to be interesting and promising I think they might even end up being unlikely friends. At least I hope so.
The beginnings of this series are definitely way faster and better than the ones of the Farseer trilogy. I already can't put the book aside:)

Abner | 90 comments Sarah wrote: "I am so excited to get to know more about the Rain Wild Traders and I really want to know what this destroyed city is about.
Now we know that the liveships have something to do with dragons and th..."

I think the same, the top mysteries here are #1 the Rain Wild traders and their "doom" #2 the relation between serpents, dragons and wizardwood.

From my understanding, the one that remembers is Vivacia, but she is a ship and Maulkin was expecting something different for their last chance at awakening.

message 4: by John (last edited Jul 29, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

John | 219 comments Abner wrote: "I'm convinced now that the serpents where dragons, real dragons, not the carved Elderlings. It confused me a little and if it was explained clearly I missed. I always like how Hobb in one way or an..."

The conversation Brashen had with Ephron occurred before the events of Ship of Magic took place, and they both naturally supposed that Althea and Brashen would still be serving as crew on the Vivacia in the future, so that Brashen would be in a position to help her if needed. Once that arrangement was ended by Kyle, the obligation involving this promise to help her was lessened somewhat, and it was only blind luck that Brashen and Althea ended up on the Reaper together, where he could keep an eye on "Athel", his "cousin's boy".

Althea is too hard-headed and independently minded to gladly welcome an open offer of help in most instances, and would likely interpret a gesture like that from Brashen as passive-aggressively implying that Althea can't perform competently by herself.

Another big reason they don't stay together at the end of Ship of Magic is because Althea's top priority is getting the liveship back from Kyle, and Brashen's "help" in the form of a romantic relationship, wouldn't fit in her plans until that gets resolved.

message 5: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Sarah wrote: "I am so excited to get to know more about the Rain Wild Traders and I really want to know what this destroyed city is about.
Now we know that the liveships have something to do with dragons and th..."

Speaking of Brashen's demeanor: Robin Hobb wrote these books in the late '90s when her perception of a man in his mid-twenties like Brashen( who is twenty-five at the beginning of Mad Ship) might well have been of his being like a member of Generation X, and not as a Millennial as we might see a person of the same age today.

Gen-X constituents had( at least in the public perception) a notorious reputation as being moody, angst-ridden, self-loathing and self-pitying, that we would not so generally associate as a defining characteristic of a Millennial in 2016.

Althea, Wintrow and Malta, being several years younger than Brashen, might have been seen by Hobb as part of the emerging Millennials, who would not as naturally ( apart from Kyle's sadistic influence) share a predilection for self-hatred and self-destructive behavior as their Gen-X- like counterpart. Maybe this explains why Brashen acts like he does.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Welham So the Wizardwood 'logs' were casings that held dragons? Not coffins but cribs Reynolds said. So when they opened the first 'log' they must have noticed but continued regardless. I am intrigued to know more about the Rain Wilds and what happened to the dragons.
Chapter 4 ends with kennit not drawing another breath but he can't be dead surely?
Wintrow continues to be the most interesting and developed character but I do enjoy Ettas contributions :)

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Welham *Reyn not Reynolds (sorry phone autocorrect)

message 8: by John (last edited Aug 15, 2016 06:01PM) (new)

John | 219 comments Amy wrote: "So the Wizardwood 'logs' were casings that held dragons? Not coffins but cribs Reynolds said. So when they opened the first 'log' they must have noticed but continued regardless. I am intrigued to ..."

Wizardwood doesn't exactly sound like a renewable resource, does it? That may put a finite limit on the number of liveships that can be made; and if all they are doing is salvaging ruins for magic related items, maybe they are going to run out of inventory, perhaps permanently!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.