Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Genre conundrum

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colin (new)

Colin Bohl (colinbohl) | 10 comments I have exhausted the Epic fantasies set in a 1500's -esque world with swords and bows and things of that sort. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations of books that are of a larger "epic" scale perhaps, with more modern warfare such as guns and things of that sort. I would love some feedback. Looking for something fresh and fun. Thanks all!

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jul 25, 2016 08:16PM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Colin wrote: "I have exhausted the Epic fantasies set in a 1500's -esque world with swords and bows and things of that sort. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations of books that are of a larger "epic" ..."

The Shadow Campaigns, beginning with The Thousand Names, is an example of fantasy with modern warfare. However, it's not on a large "epic" scale - the magic is a motivating factor for many characters, but it is not a part of their daily lives in the sense that magic is not used regularly and the fantasy aspects of the series take long to unveil themselves. Fantastic military fantasy though. We have a buddy read going for this series.

One military fantasy with a more epic scale (though only a trilogy), is the Powder Mage trilogy beginning with Promise of Blood. There are characters who regularly use different kinds of magic and it is also guns and cannons and such.

Both of the series are 5* for me so far (I'm in the middle of Shadow Campaigns).

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments There are a lot of books considered sci-fi that are more modern. And I think a lot of sci Fi books are now more fantasy than science, unlike the older sci Fi books. The dune series and the expanse series are supposed to be epic.

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Jenna's suggestions are great. Here's a few that are a bit different.

The Aeronaut's Windlass steampunk involving dirigibles and a sci-fi-ish method of operation, talking cats, fun read. There are military battles with the air craft and they use laser cannons and guns. Only this book is completed in the series.

The Lies of Locke Lamora although the weaponry is a bit 15th century-ish the series is awesome and is more about thievery and as the series expands it takes to the water.

Steelheart set in the modern era it's probably more sci-fi but really enjoyable and couples new modern weapons with magic.

message 5: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Have you tried the Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley? Very very different, but quite large scale

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Margret wrote: "Have you tried the Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley? Very very different, but quite large scale"

That's on my to-read. You liked it a lot?

message 7: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
I liked it, The author didn't coddle the reader so that must be said, very good world building and unique relationships between characters. I think rated it 3 stars but mostly cause I was confused a bit with the story.... Too many things going on maybe? But I read the last 300 pages on my night shifts at work and finished it during my "Feel like I'm going to die" hour of shift #3.... So perhaps that's the biggest reason for my confusion. It's one of those love it or hate it books