LDS Ladies Book Club discussion

Book Clubs - general/business > Themed book club

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SamZ (new)

SamZ (samwisezbrown) Hi ladies! I am posting here in the hopes of getting some feedback:
Firstly, with back to school and the 9 birthdays and 4 anniversaries in my immediate family that happen in August, we will be taking a break for the themed monthly reads. The classic reads will still be happening, though, so head on over and check those out!
That said, I am wondering about how many of you are reading the books? We usually have a few nominations and then around 25-30 votes, but mostly only the moderators are commenting (and one or two others). I am wondering if you guys are finding time to read but not posting, just not interested in the themed reads chosen, or just not participating. I would love to continue this group but I would really like to see some discussions going on as well. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

message 2: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) Sam wrote: "Hi ladies! I am posting here in the hopes of getting some feedback:
Firstly, with back to school and the 9 birthdays and 4 anniversaries in my immediate family that happen in August, we will be tak..."

Hi Sam, thanks for posting this. I was wondering the same. For similar reason I have reduced the Classic Read to 2 books for August and hope people let us know what they are thinking.

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 43 comments Mod
I personally am overwhlemed by too many choices. Not sure if that is what others are feeling too. I want to read every book, but that just isn't going to happen. Plus Summer is just crazy

message 4: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Lybbert | 72 comments I really love this group. I like all the suggestions and try to read as many as I can. I had started Cinder in June, but then because of holds on the book at my library I had to take it back, but last week I was able to get it out again and will finish it soon. So I don't always have a chance to post to the discussion when the book is the current read. I think it is good to take a break from a theme in August and I will try to catch up on the readings. I am also still reading Fablehaven and Entwined, plus of course Red Scarf Girl and The Scarlet Pimpernel. And I actually still have The Lake House and Little Dorrit on the go.

I like how the themes have introduced me to books I wouldn't normally read. I enjoyed The Cinderella Murder and now I am reading the next book in the series All Dressed in White.

It may be for the group as a whole some adjustments need to be made, but I am happy with the way things have been going. I am sure summer has just made things harder for participation, and in September more people will be around to participate.

Thanks to all the moderators for your great work!

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 43 comments Mod
I do want to add that I love all the book choices that I've had the chance to read. it's introduced me to new authors and books that I might not have read otherwise. if only I had time to read all the books I'd like to!

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) Debbie wrote: "I personally am overwhlemed by too many choices. Not sure if that is what others are feeling too. I want to read every book, but that just isn't going to happen. Plus Summer is just crazy"

I think this is a common theme for us LDS ladies; we want to do every good thing. I have come to learn that as long as we are actively engaged in a good cause we can rest easy. So picking one out of the many is I think the moderators idea. Or at least it is mine. I am trying to offer choices and never except anyone to read them all. Our intention I believe is to offer good choices and to leave the final decision to our fellow members for what fits best with them and their family. However, I have decided to reduce my 'offerings' to 2 per month and hope this helps :)

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 43 comments Mod
Tracey wrote: "Debbie wrote: "I personally am overwhlemed by too many choices. Not sure if that is what others are feeling too. I want to read every book, but that just isn't going to happen. Plus Summer is just ..."

LOL I'm not good at the choosing I want to read all good books! That's why I have over 3000 books on my TO READ shelf! I'm a book addict!

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) Debbie wrote: "Tracey wrote: "Debbie wrote: "I personally am overwhlemed by too many choices. Not sure if that is what others are feeling too. I want to read every book, but that just isn't going to happen. Plus ..."

I hope it helps that I will be limiting the Classic choices to 2 :)

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 43 comments Mod
2 is better. thanks for all you do!