RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

RMFAO 2016 Genre Challenge > August: Contemporary + Historical

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3521 comments Mod
Opening the August thread so we can begin planning.

Also (mainly!) so we can have the definitions! (I'm sorry, Heena, I don't know where you find them.) I have a pretty good idea about Historical, but not a clue about Contemporary.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 2222 comments Mod
I, too, have questions concerning Contemporary. How old can the book be and still be considered Contemporary? For example, can a book published in the 1980s be considered Contemporary?

And can you combine another genre with a Contemporary book, such as mystery, thriller, or romance? It's hard to find contemporary books that don't include some of these genres.

message 3: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments To the best of my knowledge...
Contemporary consists of a modern storyline where the characters (teenagers,mostly) belong to the latest 5 yrs or so. It usually has a cute romance with few issues which the characters must deal with.

Few recommendations,if you're new to the genre:-
Rainbow Rowell's
-Eleanor and Park
-Fangirl

Emery Lord
-When we collided

Morgan Matson
-Second chance summer

Sophie Kinsella (Hilarious reads too!)
-Finding Audrey
-I've got your number
-The Undomestic goddess

Colleen Hoover's (Very intense)
-Hopeless duo logy
-Ugly love
-Never never trilogy

message 4: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments And for historical....
I cannot hype these books enough!!
Plssss read it,it's gorgeous and beautiful!!

Judith Mcnaught's
-Whitney,my love
-Paradise
-Almost heaven
-Perfect
-A Kingdom of dreams,etc

message 5: by Dagny (new)

Sundara wrote: "To the best of my knowledge...
Contemporary consists of a modern storyline
Sophie Kinsella (Hilarious reads too!)"

Thanks, Sundara. I've noticed some of the Kinsella books. I have one sort of on my calendar for September Humor.

message 6: by Dagny (new)

Sundara wrote: "And for historical....
I cannot hype these books enough!!
Plssss read it,it's gorgeous and beautiful!!

Judith Mcnaught's
-Whitney,my love
-Paradise
-Almost heaven
-Perfect
-A Kingdom of dreams,etc"

I haven't read anything by McNaught in quite a while. I've got a lot of series mysteries set in the past which I plan on for historicals. You know me, I'll sneak those mysteries in whenever possible!

message 7: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Yeah of course you will jump into mysteries:P
You've read Mcnaught before?

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Sundara,
You convinced me to try a book by Judith McNaught. I will read Almost Heaven Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught

message 9: by Dagny (new)

Sundara wrote: "Yeah of course you will jump into mysteries:P
You've read Mcnaught before?"

I think maybe, but a long time ago, back in the 90s. And only one or two.

message 10: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments @Cheryl
You'll thank me:P My suggestion would be to start with Almost heaven/Until you/Whitney,my love!!:D

@Dag
That's nice. And I think you'll enjoy JM more!!

Anddddd
I myself was planning to re-read one of her books soon!

How about a buddy read??
You can select the book!

message 11: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments @Cheryl
You are also invited:)

message 12: by Dagny (new)

Sundara wrote: "How about a buddy read??
You can select the book!"

I'll have to pass on the Judith McNaught buddy read for now, Sundara. I don't really have the time. You and Cheryl go ahead. Actually I think Cheryl is already reading Almost Heaven.

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "I'll have to pass on the Judith McNaught buddy read for now, Sundara. I don't really have the time. You and Cheryl go ahead. Actu..."

Sundara,
I'm interested in an Almost Heaven buddy read. I can wait until a discussion thread is set up, and then continue my reading. I am only at page 64 of 517 right now.

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

I'm sorry, Sundara, but Almost Heaven is just not my kind of book. I won't be doing the buddy read after all.

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

I just gound Heena's definition of Contemporary from last year's genre challenge:

"Hey everyone! Here's a quick definition of Contemporary fiction:

Contemporary fiction is the work of fiction that's written after the WWII without any elements of fantasy.

Note: The period after the WWII is generally referred to as the Contemporary Period or the Modern Times. "

message 16: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Okay Cheryl,no issues!

message 17: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments @Dag that's okay :)

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

OK, I will try a different book. For Contemporary fiction, I will read

New Uses for Old Boyfriends New Uses for Old Boyfriends (Black Dog Bay, #2) by Beth Kendrick
I am reading this for a different group's challenge, where you must read a book that has clothing without a body wearing it on the book's cover. (Hard to find those books!)

message 19: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I just gound Heena's definition of Contemporary from last year's genre challenge:

"Hey everyone! Here's a quick definition of Contemporary fiction:

Contemporary fiction is the work of fiction tha..."

Genius, Cheryl! Thanks. (Duh, why didn't I think of looking back, lol.)

message 20: by Dagny (new)

I have one of Beaton's Hamish Macbeth books on hold which I should get next month Death of a Nurse
It should work then for Contemporary.

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "I have one of Beaton's Hamish Macbeth books on hold which I should get next month Death of a Nurse
It should work then for Contemporary."

I say go for it!

message 22: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I say go for it!"

Right - another mystery! Although this series, after 30 books and 30+ years is starting to look like it's run its course. The last few just didn't satisfy me like the earlier ones. I can't not read them though, lol.

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl wrote: "OK, I will try a different book. For Contemporary fiction, I will read

New Uses for Old Boyfriends New Uses for Old Boyfriends (Black Dog Bay, #2) by Beth Kendrick ."

I lucked out. This book is hilarious!

message 24: by Dagny (new)

I've now decided on a book which should work for Contempory:
Sorrow's Anthem

I have plenty from which to choose for Historical. This one for sure since it's a group read at the French Literature group:
In the Shadows of Paris: A Victor Legris Mystery
It is also part of the 20 Books of Summer Challenge as are:
Royal Blood The Edge of Dreams A River in the Sky
The last is also part of the Finishing the Series Challenge

message 25: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2220 comments Mod
Hi, everyone. Sorry for being so late to the party. Thanks a ton, Dagny, for setting up the thread. Also, thanks to Cheryl, for sharing the definition of Contemporary Fiction.

I dug a little deeper for the definition of Contemporary Fiction and found something a little more definite. So here are the definitions for this month's genres:

Contemporary Fiction: Contemporary fiction is the work of fiction that's written after the WWII without any elements of fantasy. (Note: The period after the WWII is generally referred to as the Contemporary Period or the Modern Times.)
Books in the contemporary fiction genre are made up of stories that could happen to real people in real settings. The books do not fall under other categories or genres. They usually take place in the same time period the reader is living (the present), with things that are currently, or could be happening, in the same time period. The contemporary genre also contains informal and conversational dialogue, and sometimes even regional dialects.

Historical Fiction: Historical fiction presents a story set in the past, often during a significant time period. In historical fiction, the time period is an important part of the setting and often of the story itself.
Historical fiction may include fictional characters, well-known historical figures or a mixture of the two. Authors of historical fiction usually pay close attention to the details of their stories (settings, clothing, dialogue, etc.) to ensure that they fit the time periods in which the narratives take place.
In some historical fiction, famous events appear from points of view not recorded in history, showing historical figures dealing with actual events while depicting them in a way that is not recorded in history. Other times, the historical event or time period complements a story's narrative, forming a framework and background for the characters' lives. Sometimes, historical fiction can be for the most part true, but the names of people and places have been in some way altered. (As this is fiction, artistic license is permitted in regard to presentation and subject matter, so long as it does not deviate in significant ways from established history. If events should deviate significantly, the story may then fall into the genre of alternate history, which is known for speculating on what could have happened if a significant historical event had gone differently. On a similar note, events occurring in historical fiction must adhere to the laws of physics. Stories that extend into the magical or fantastic are often considered historical fantasy.)

Happy reading, everyone! <3

message 26: by Heena (new)

My to-read list for this month:

CONTEMPORARY:
⦿ The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend
⦿ The Summer That Melted Everything: A Novel
⦿ The Things We Keep

HISTORICAL:
⦿ Mercer Street - Started :-)
⦿ Indiana Belle

message 27: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "And can you combine another genre with a Contemporary book, such as mystery, thriller, or romance? "

Absolutely! We always include cross-genres or overlapping genres for this challenge. It makes the challenge more fun! :-)

message 28: by Heena (last edited Aug 01, 2016 12:38AM) (new)

If you guys want some really awesome recommendation for a relatively new Contemporary Fiction then I'd say go for -
The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald
more than 5 people recommended this book to me in the last couple of months and it has some really great reviews. I'm sure at least it'll worth reading.
I'll be starting it on the 15th August. Let me know if anyone wants to read or re-read it with me for Buddy Read. It's been a while since I did a buddy read. I really miss it!

message 29: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "If you guys want some really awesome recommendation for a relatively new Contemporary Fiction then I'd say go for -
The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald
more than 5 people re..."

This one caught my eye from your list above even before I read this post, Heena. Don't wait on me for a Buddy Read though. I just check my library and it's on hold with three people ahead of me, so I might not even get it before the end of the month.

message 30: by Heena (last edited Aug 01, 2016 11:16PM) (new)

Dagny wrote: "This one caught my eye from your list above even before I read this post, Heena. Don't wait on me for a Buddy Read though. I just check my library and it's on hold with three people ahead of me, so I might not even get it before the end of the month. ."

I had a feeling you might be interested in this one, Dagny. Let me know if you have the time to read it with me. :D

PS: Please check you inbox.

message 31: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "Dagny wrote: "This one caught my eye from your list above even before I read this post, Heena. Don't wait on me for a Buddy Read though. I just check my library and it's on hold with three people a..."

Thanks, Heena, but no luck. Sent you an email.

I placed a hold on The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend, but there are people ahead of me, so who knows when I'll get it.

message 32: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "Thanks, Heena, but no luck. Sent you an email.

I placed a hold on The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend, but there are people ahead of me, so who knows when I'll get it. "

Sent you a reply. Let me know when you have it (the book) :)

message 33: by Heena (new)

Book Rambling - I'm reading Mercer Street by John A. Heldt and this is my 4th book by him. This one is also a time-travel book in which characters travel to the past and live the future history.
I'm not into Historical Fiction by any stretch, but Mr. Heldt's writing and stories are so beautiful and old-school that I love drowning myself in them. In spite of his books being lengthy for my taste, I read them fairly quickly as I completely loose myself into them.
I've read books by more than 150 independent authors in the last 2 years for my blog, but Mr. John Heldt is not just another indie author, he is so much better than more than 80% of the authors today. His writing is captivating (and this is a term I rarely use.)

If anyone here every wants to read a really engaging and a character driven Historical Fiction with a twist of time-travel, then his books will be perfect. I'm reading my 4th and I'm already looking forward to reading the 5th one after that.

Sorry for the rambling, but I love his books so much that I had to share! <3

message 34: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "Dagny wrote: "I placed a hold on The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend, but there are people ahead of me, so who knows when I'll get it. "

Sent you a reply. Let me know when you have it (the book) :) "

Will do! Looking forward to it. Anyone else interested?

message 35: by Dagny (new)

Read this one for Contemporary. Good enough, but nothing special.
1. Sorrow's Anthem

On to the Historicals - mysteries all!

message 36: by Cheryl (new)

After much searching, I finally found a historical book:
A Beautiful Blue Death A Beautiful Blue Death (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #1) by Charles Finch
It is the first book in a series and is a Victorian mystery. (Dagny's love for mysteries must be rubbing off on me, lol.)

message 37: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "After much searching, I finally found a historical book:
A Beautiful Blue Death A Beautiful Blue Death (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #1) by Charles Finch
It is the first book in a series and is a Victorian myste..."

Sounds good, Cheryl! You may introduce me to a new series.

message 38: by Dagny (new)

2. Historical A River in the Sky
The 19th and last in the Amelia Peabody series. So sad that I've come to the end of the series.

message 39: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "After much searching, I finally found a historical book:
It is the first book in a series and is a ..."

Finished it. My review can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 40: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl wrote: "OK, I will try a different book. For Contemporary fiction, I will read

New Uses for Old Boyfriends New Uses for Old Boyfriends (Black Dog Bay, #2) by Beth Kendrick
I am reading this for a differ..."

Forgot to post that I finished it. My review can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 41: by Cheryl (new)

My second historical fiction: Appaloosa Appaloosa (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #1) by Robert B. Parker It's a Western set in the 1800s U.S. (It was also made into a film in 2008).

message 42: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "OK, I will try a different book. For Contemporary fiction, I will read

I am reading th..."

Looks like a humorous book. Did you read the first in the series?

message 43: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "Did you read the first in the series?"

No, but I will. I read this one for a challenge at another group. You had to read a book whose cover showed clothing without a body wearing it. This fit those requirements, and it fit for the Contemporary challenge here.

message 44: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Dagny wrote: "Did you read the first in the series?"

No, but I will. I read this one for a challenge at another group. You had to read a book whose cover showed clothing without a body wearing it...."

Oh, yes. I remember now that you mentioned that.

message 45: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl wrote: "My second historical fiction: Appaloosa Appaloosa (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #1) by Robert B. Parker It's a Western set in the 1800s U.S. (It was also made into a film in 2008)."

Finished it. A great book! My review can be fond here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 46: by Heena (last edited Aug 09, 2016 10:13AM) (new)

I'm done with my first Historical Fiction for the month:
Mercer Street (American Journey, #2) by John A. Heldt
It was an excellent read!

Already started with The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth

message 47: by Cheryl (new)

For my second Contemporary fiction, I will read Cure for the Common Breakup Cure for the Common Breakup (Black Dog Bay, #1) by Beth Kendrick It is the first book in the Black Dog Bay series. (I previously posted that I read the second book in that series.)

message 48: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl wrote: "For my second Contemporary fiction, I will read Cure for the Common Breakup Cure for the Common Breakup (Black Dog Bay, #1) by Beth Kendrick It is the first book in the Black Dog Bay series."

Finished it. My review can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 49: by Cheryl (new)

For my third Historical fiction, I will read Marrying Mozart Marrying Mozart by Stephanie Cowell

message 50: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "For my second Contemporary fiction, I will read Cure for the Common Breakup Cure for the Common Breakup (Black Dog Bay, #1) by Beth Kendrick It is the first book in the Black Dog Bay..."

I was wondering if these would work for Humor in September. Sounds like the second one, New Uses for Old Boyfriends, might. The title fits, lol.

« previous 1