Obsessed with True Crime discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 13655 comments DUMMY, a 1979 made-for-TV movie about the Donald Lang case, did a pretty good job of capturing all the mind-blowing issues handled in the true-life court proceedings against Lang, who was quite possibly a serial killer but who could not possibly participate in his own defense, even to the extent of telling the police his version of events. I can't recommend the book this is based on too strongly -- Dummy by Ernest Tidyman -- but the movie is a fine place to start.

message 2: by Shelley (last edited Jul 26, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments

1979 Press Photo Actor Levar Burton And Donald Lang In The Cook County Jail

Wonder what the story is behind this picture.

message 3: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 13655 comments Well, I'm astounded you found a photo of Lang. I've never found one before! Burton did play him in the movie so I guess someone arranged a meeting...

message 4: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments I always like seeing their faces. I may be trying to find a way to spot "badness" in people but I already know you can't. Wishful thinking.

message 5: by Fishface (last edited Jul 26, 2016 03:28PM) (new)

Fishface | 13655 comments I want to know what search terms you used to find that photo!!! I totally added it to my Pinterest file. Thing is with Lang, he may have no idea that what he did was wrong. And he may not have done anything. Nowadays you could use DNA or something else more sophisticated, but this guy may have been totally ripped off.

message 6: by Shelley (last edited Jul 26, 2016 04:37PM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments I put in "Donald Lang dummy" and searched google images. Then I just started clicking on images and checking them. Just "Donald Lang" brought up too many false positives so I added the book name.

message 7: by Shelley (last edited Jul 26, 2016 06:09PM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments I just finished reading this article on Donald. What a case! The article was written by one of the investigators and he claims it's the only definitive account of what happened after the trial. The link is for part 2 of the article but 1 is there to read as well.

https://jimpadar.wordpress.com/2012/0...

message 8: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 13655 comments I jus saw this for the first time in well over 20 years. I remember it as being good, but it's really, really good. For a made-for-TV movie it's actually astoundingly good.

message 9: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3415 comments Mod
Found this on YouTube in 6 parts, after I watched parts 2-6 part 1 popped up. I read the article and am now looking for the book, sadly I can't find it.

message 10: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 13655 comments There are 76 used copies at Amazon going for -- brace yourself -- ONE CENT apiece. Or you could pony up for a more expensive one. They have plenty of those, too.

message 11: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Fishface wrote: "There are 76 used copies at Amazon going for -- brace yourself -- ONE CENT apiece. Or you could pony up for a more expensive one. They have plenty of those, too."

OK i found it, I was searching with the wrong author name. And I ordered it. You lady are an enabler.

message 12: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Fishface wrote: "There are 76 used copies at Amazon going for -- brace yourself -- ONE CENT apiece. Or you could pony up for a more expensive one. They have plenty of those, too."

The DVD is also available on Amazon for around $15

message 13: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 13655 comments Bel wrote: "
OK i found it, I was searching with the wrong author name. And I ordered it. You lady are an enabler."

MU-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!