Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Their Fractured Light (Starbound, #3)
This topic is about Their Fractured Light
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived: Series Reads > Their Fractured Light (Starbound #3) by Amie Kaufman [Start Date: August 08, 2016]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments
Their Fractured Light Starbound #3, by Amie Kaufman

A year ago, Flynn Cormac and Jubilee Chase made the now infamous Avon Broadcast, calling on the galaxy to witness for their planet, and protect them from destruction. Some say Flynn’s a madman, others whisper about conspiracies. Nobody knows the truth. A year before that, Tarver Merendsen and Lilac LaRoux were rescued from a terrible shipwreck—now, they live a public life in front of the cameras, and a secret life away from the world’s gaze.

Now, in the center of the universe on the planet of Corinth, all four are about to collide with two new players, who will bring the fight against LaRoux Industries to a head. Gideon Marchant is an eighteen-year-old computer hacker—a whiz kid and an urban warrior. He’ll climb, abseil and worm his way past the best security measures to pull off onsite hacks that others don’t dare touch.

Sofia Quinn has a killer smile, and by the time you’re done noticing it, she’s got you offering up your wallet, your car, and anything else she desires. She holds LaRoux Industries responsible for the mysterious death of her father and is out for revenge at any cost.

When a LaRoux Industries security breach interrupts Gideon and Sofia’s separate attempts to infiltrate their headquarters, they’re forced to work together to escape. Each of them has their own reason for wanting to take down LaRoux Industries, and neither trusts the other. But working together might be the best chance they have to expose the secrets LRI is so desperate to hide.

✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤ ✣ ✤

Please feel free to join us. As always expect spoilers .

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm in.

Lara | 2335 comments I'm in too. When are we likely to start? Earlier in the month will work better for me in August.

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Start Date: August 08, 2016 ?

Lara | 2335 comments I completely missed it above! Yes, that will be great. Though I have to go get the book from the library now.

message 7: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "I completely missed it above! Yes, that will be great. Though I have to go get the book from the library now."

Good point! me too :P

Lara | 2335 comments I got my book today, so I'm all set :)

message 9: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Me too :)

message 10: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments I'm getting ready to start this tonight.

message 11: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm getting ready to start too

message 12: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Aug 07, 2016 04:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments chapter 1

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "chapter 1"

Yes, but she was trying to distract them. She didn't know what else the boy had up his sleeve, and he could have potentially used her for his own getaway.

And, the very end of the chapter is creepy!

message 14: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "And, the very end of the chapter is creepy!
"

It was creepy.

I'm on chapter 5. I'm alternating between listening , reading and watching Olympics :D

message 15: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments I just started and will be alternating between reading, listening to a different book, and doing laundry. I may stream the Olympics for a while to. I keep forgetting they're on and normally I'm a big fan.

message 16: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm watching Brazil vs Iraq football , swimming (lots of Australians ) and there is a volleyball match coming up in 20 minutes :D LOL and I'm at work

message 17: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Nice that you can watch at work! I'm mostly taking this week off and hope to get a lot of reading done. But, I think I may turn on the games alongside the books for a good part of the time as well.

message 18: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Chapter 6

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "Chapter 6

[spoilers removed]"

So true. Or maybe she put it on before getting dressed? That doesn't really make sense to me.

And Chapter 8
(view spoiler)

BTW, I thought that Sofia would have had (view spoiler)

message 20: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Chapter 6

Chapter 8

(view spoiler)

message 21: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Chapter 9
I don't like Sophia much so far. do you?

message 22: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Actually, I kind of do like her. But, she is a practiced con artist with a single goal of revenge.

Chapter 15 (view spoiler)

One thing I'm noticing about this book is how fast it is moving. Each chapter has some event that moves them forward.

message 23: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Plus, I think Sofia is losing her distance from her con--it's starting to look like her true self.

message 24: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Chapter 21: I knew that would happen.

message 25: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "Actually, I kind of do like her. But, she is a practiced con artist with a single goal of revenge.

Chapter 15 [spoilers removed]

One thing I'm noticing about this book is how fast it is moving. ..."

About your spoiler yes I felt I missed something. It seemed a bit confusing how it all went down.
Logically they would have cleaned up the apartment and taken all her personal belongings.
I've started to like Sophia more and I like how fast and action packed the book is . I'm really enjoying this one.

message 26: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Huh
Chapter 16(view spoiler)

message 27: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments How old is Gideon?

message 28: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "Huh
Chapter 16

Oh yeah. And he has no clue, but it's obvious to us.

message 29: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "How old is Gideon?"

They don't really say, but he's seems to be about Sofia's age. He's introduced as a young man who doesn't look like a typical office worker due to his longer hair.

Sofia was only about 16 in the previous book, wasn't she? And this one is 1-2 years later?

message 30: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments I finished last night. When I looked at the book I thought it would take me longer as it is 425 pages or so and has smaller print. However, it was still a quick read. Just so much action.

At the end it gets (view spoiler), which I found less well done than other books. I think the authors overdid the exposition in that section.

I noticed early on when reading that there is one chapter near the end that is on grey paper in my hardcover book. That one is from Lilac's perspective, so I was wondering what it would be about. By the time I got there I was not surprised, though.

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) I have had such a hard time for what ever reasons?? I finally received both books #2 and #3 so I'm starting to read and finish trilogy don't want to read spoilers Just starting #2 so I'll be behind everyone rats!!

message 32: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Vicki wrote: "I have had such a hard time for what ever reasons?? I finally received both books #2 and #3 so I'm starting to read and finish trilogy don't want to read spoilers Just starting #2 so I'll be behind..."

I'm glad you finally got them. They are pretty quick reads, so don't worry about catching up.

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) Lara wrote: "Vicki wrote: "I have had such a hard time for what ever reasons?? I finally received both books #2 and #3 so I'm starting to read and finish trilogy don't want to read spoilers Just starting #2 so ..."
I am on page 177 of 390 and i'm kinda bummed on how it's going so far to many people getting killed on all sides. Not so many in book #1 well all the people on Icarus but you weren't so involved with them. This one you know them it's also frustrating that Lilac's father is behind this oh rats I'm rambling again Good book

message 34: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments The second book is much darker than the first. the situations are more complex and the situations bring strong emotions with them. It is definitely a good book though.

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) Lara wrote: "The second book is much darker than the first. the situations are more complex and the situations bring strong emotions with them. It is definitely a good book though."

Boy that is so true. Hope #3 is not so dark and there is a happy ever after

message 36: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments Book 3 is definitely less dark, though it has a lot of action and the plot is constantly moving. There are a few scenes that are difficult, but far fewer than in book 2.

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) Ok her I go just starting this book. Not reading any spoilers
Hoping for satisfactory ending.

message 38: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm still listening. I didn't listen at all yesterday. It was a public holiday here and we went shopping the whole day :D
I have a bout 3 hours left.

message 39: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "How old is Gideon?"

They don't really say, but he's seems to be about Sofia's age. He's introduced as a young man who doesn't look like a typical office worker due to his longer hai..."

Once he said that nobody had called him Giddy in 4 years and he had known Mae since he'd been 12. But he can't be 16! I'll go with 18-19 yo !!
Do we know what happened to his parents?

message 40: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "Lara wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "How old is Gideon?"

They don't really say, but he's seems to be about Sofia's age. He's introduced as a young man who doesn't look like a typical office worker due to h..."

He didn't leave his parents right away, so he was a bit older at that point. His parents divorced--his father couldn't take what happened and his mother ran a business and couldn't afford to alienate LaRoux. I agree that he was probably 18 or 19. I find it interesting how independent teens are in this universe. The fact that they are in the military when so young is strange to me.

message 41: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "I'm still listening. I didn't listen at all yesterday. It was a public holiday here and we went shopping the whole day :D
I have a bout 3 hours left."

Have they gotten to the Daedalus yet? You have some real craziness ahead.

message 42: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Lara wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "How old is Gideon?"

They don't really say, but he's seems to be about Sofia's age. He's introduced as a young man who doesn't look like a typical office ..."

This is a quote from the book :"I was down in the slums by the time I was twelve". I just listen to it a minute ago. So he might actually be 16!

It is intesting! They keep telling people they are engaged and it seems so normal to see a teenager engaged to another teenager! If I hear a 17 year old is engaged nowdays, I'd definitley be surprised. but it seem normal in this universe.

message 43: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments The age issue is really weird to me. Sofia wasn't allowed to live on her own because of her age, yet she could have been in the military. Or are they trying to look older than they are?

As for Gideon, it's not clear to me how much time has passed since his brother was killed. Or since he left home.

message 44: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "The age issue is really weird to me. Sofia wasn't allowed to live on her own because of her age, yet she could have been in the military. Or are they trying to look older than they are?

As for Gid..."

Did you notice that Lilac called Tarver "my husband" in her speech?

message 45: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "I finished last night. When I looked at the book I thought it would take me longer as it is 425 pages or so and has smaller print. However, it was still a quick read. Just so much action.

At the e..."

I agree.
BTW the whispers were trying to choose what to do about humans all this time like it was their first time choosing. But IMO it was their second time. They had already decided to change something and had started observing humans and interfering with their lives. That had been their first time choosing.

message 46: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Vicki wrote: "Lara wrote: "Vicki wrote: "I have had such a hard time for what ever reasons?? I finally received both books #2 and #3 so I'm starting to read and finish trilogy don't want to read spoilers Just st..."

Yes it was surprising how many characters that we already knew died in the second book.(view spoiler)

message 47: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lara wrote: "Book 3 is definitely less dark, though it has a lot of action and the plot is constantly moving. There are a few scenes that are difficult, but far fewer than in book 2."

I really enjoyed this one. The plot was moving forward all the time and plenty of action. Not one boring minute in it!

message 48: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Vicki wrote: "Ok her I go just starting this book. Not reading any spoilers
Hoping for satisfactory ending."

It was for me :)

message 49: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "Did you notice that Lilac called Tarver "my husband" in her speech?"

No! That is interesting. I'm wondering about some of the editing for this book as it seemed that there were some little discontinuities here and there.

message 50: by Lara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lara | 2335 comments ShoSho wrote: "They had already decided to change something and had started observing humans and interfering with their lives. That had been their first time choosing."

Good point. They had already exposed themselves to the differences that humans brought to their existence, so even if they wanted to shut that door, they would already have been changed in some way by the knowledge.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Their Fractured Light (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Amie Kaufman (other topics)