Drop Everything And Read discussion

Recommendations > Looking for a book

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe Quinn | 4 comments I'm looking for a book, but I'm not sure of who wrote it, or the title. I know a bit of the synopsis, so I'll tell that, and whoever can let me know the book, I'd appreciate it.
Amanda's trying to make it home from, I believe, Chicago to New York for Christmas to see his children. He and his ex-wife are estranged I believe. I believe he is a businessman, I know he has a laptop, or maybe he procures it from somewhere. He has made promises before to see his children, but never followed through. Needless to say his wife is rather anxious. I want to say one of the children's names are Josh.
Meanwhile, back in Chicago, his flight is canceled due to an impending "snowstorm. " he tries to Rent-A-Car, and gets one, but is unable to go in that car due to how long it would take to get to his destination. So he follows a group of people who take a sedan, I believe. They seem to make it a few hours out of Chicago. Then, they find a man stumbling around in the snow, looking for his daughter. They find her; but she is dead I believe. Later on, they discovered that she has no head, and in place for her head is a mound of "snow. "Events unfold, people are trying to survive this "deadly snowstorm." they tried to make it to a place where they can call for help to let people know that they're stranded in this. This "snow," kills people, so sh's best not to get caught in it, needless to say. People end up dying along the way, however the main character of the story does survive.
I believe I have given as much of the synopsis as I am able to give. Does anybody know what this book is called? I know it is by a male Author, I don't know if it's available in audio form, I Believe I read it in Kindle format.

REMEMBER UKRAINE NOW ReadingReindeer (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 4 comments Possibly The Snow, by Ronald Malfi? I know I've read something that sounds very similar to the description here.

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe Quinn | 4 comments That'd be the one! Thanks!

REMEMBER UKRAINE NOW ReadingReindeer (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 4 comments You're so welcome--glad I could help!

message 5: by Joe (new)

Joe Quinn | 4 comments Got another one for you. There's a couple, I believe they're christians, (the first part of the book begins at church with the pastor preaching anyway,) and she wants a baby, but her husband doesn't. He's emphatic on it too. So, She'll do anything in her power to have a baby with him. Seems like a pretty steamy book. It's by a female author, and was posted on ACX for narration on or about June 29? I wanna say the characters are named Amy and/or rich or Richard, but don't quote me on that. Any ideas? Thanks again!

message 6: by Joe (new)

Joe Quinn | 4 comments It is available on Amazon also if that helps.

message 7: by Cat (new)

Cat (catthepageturner) Hi everyone! I'm looking for a children's book that's told through letter. The letters are between the young boy that lives in the house alone and the ghosts that happen to haunt his house. It's very short and I think the title is an address of some kind but I cant be sure. I'm sorry I cant give any more information (I read this when I was 9, I'm 16 now) but I would really like to reread this charming story. Any help is appreciated :)

message 8: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

Hallie (inkyhallie) | 5470 comments Mod
Here is a thread for cases like this. Please use this in the future.

message 9: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

Alyssa wrote: "HELP ME! I need more words im my face! Any ideas?"

What exactly do you mean?

message 10: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

Well, what sort of books do you like?

message 11: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

What kind of mystery? Do you like Agatha Christie?

message 12: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (last edited Oct 12, 2016 08:43AM) (new)

message 13: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

If you want to try some of her books, then I'd suggest The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Five Little Pigs, And Then There Were None, The A.B.C. Murders and Towards Zero.

message 14: by Drew (new)

Drew Stinson (thegirldrew) | 39 comments Fangirl

message 15: by Gal (new)

Gal Alyssa, have you read any books by Jojo Moyes? She's great with romance, my favorite (and plenty of others, I think!) is Me Before You.

message 16: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

I'd also recommend The Wrath & the Dawn

message 17: by Victor (new)

Victor Ajibade (electroflames) | 49 comments How do you read other genres when you're hooked on a particular one? I'm a huge fan of fantasy, but I'd like to broaden my horizon, but that is difficult... I even have a long list of fantasy books to read

message 18: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

Victor wrote: "How do you read other genres when you're hooked on a particular one? I'm a huge fan of fantasy, but I'd like to broaden my horizon, but that is difficult... I even have a long list of fantasy books..."

Try reading a book of a different genre which is partially fantasy. Then move away from your comfort zone.

message 19: by Victor (new)

Victor Ajibade (electroflames) | 49 comments Hm, I'll try that, thanks!

message 20: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (aifos) Hey guys, I'm looking for a YA romance series with a HEA and no love triangles.

message 21: by D20 (new)

D20 | 162 comments Victor wrote: "How do you read other genres when you're hooked on a particular one? I'm a huge fan of fantasy, but I'd like to broaden my horizon, but that is difficult... I even have a long list of fantasy books..."

You know what's similar to Fantasy but different? Mild Horror and Historical Fiction. Maybe peruse these genres for something interesting?

message 22: by LeShelle (new)

LeShelle D20 wrote: "Victor wrote: "How do you read other genres when you're hooked on a particular one? I'm a huge fan of fantasy, but I'd like to broaden my horizon, but that is difficult... I even have a long list o..."

Try Harry Turtledove. He writes alternate history and have several series. We shelve him in our Sci Fi/Fantasy room in the used bookstore I work at.
In the Balance is the first in his series of alternate history around World War.
Opening Atlantis is another good one by him, more stand alone.

message 23: by Morgan (new)

Morgan White (morgan_w) | 37 comments Looking for another good book or series to check out. Currently reading salt to sea so u can get a feel of what I like to read