What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Always
This topic is about Always
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. 70s adult romance - man searches for past life love - engraved watch - ends with soul mates reunited. [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 10 comments Hi - I remember reading an adult paperback romance in the 70s (would have been published in the 70s) that I only remember vaguely. It's about two lovers - soulmates - who somehow through the plot are split up... Through death or some accident? The woman's name might have been Claire, but am not sure about this. At the end of the book, the man finds her during a movie awards ceremony... If my memory is right, she is a French actress that he sees accepting an award and he knows right away that she is the one he has been searching for.

I thought I remembered it being a Danielle Steel novel but I've looked over all her titles and haven't found anything from the period that fits the description.

message 2: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 10 comments One detail that I *think* I remember is that in the past life, she gave him a watch that was engraved - I think it had both their names on it and "with all my love forever"...or something like that. I think the man in his current life has the watch or is drawn to it. Hopefully I'm not confusing this with some other book!

message 3: by Steffi (new)

Steffi (steffyebes) | 6 comments This sounds similar to Somewhere In Time. I haven't read the novel but the movie with Christopher Reeve is quite similar.

message 4: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 10 comments Hi Steffi - it's definitely not Somewhere in Time, but the book I'm remembering has elements reminiscent of Somewhere in Time and The Promise.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40168 comments Mod
Tiffany, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 6: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 10 comments Hi Lobstergirl - never found it... :-( Still trying to find it!

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36036 comments Mod
A long shot - Promise Me Forever by Jacqueline Marten?

Tiffany, if there are flashbacks to previous lives, what are the time periods and locations?

What is his job in the present time?

message 8: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 10 comments Hi Kris - thanks for the suggestion but that’s not it. :-( I seem to recall the present day (70s-ish) hero worked in the movie industry... screenwriter maybe? And that’s why he was at the Academy Awards (or some fictional version of those awards) at the end of the book. I think he went to the bar during the awards for a drink, someone he knew introduced him to a French actress (Nathalie? Dominique?) also at the bar - and as soon as he looked in her eyes he knew he had found her.

The better part of the book involves his obsession with trying to find her... This is hazy, but I think he comes across some significant item in a vintage or antique store that belonged to either him or her in the previous life. Maybe this was what triggered the past life memory?? In any case, I am pretty positive the previous life was still in the 20th century and not earlier. Can’t remember what his job was in that life, but recall that she did something in a creative field - artist or musician maybe...?

message 9: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 10 comments Oh - and forgot to mention the storyline was based in the US.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Always by Trevor Meldal-Johnsen?

Google search - site:www.goodreads.com "romance" "fantasy" reincarnated "actress"

message 11: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 10 comments Kris - Always is it!!! THANK YOU so much for solving this mystery... you rock! 🤩🤩🤩

message 12: by Kris (last edited Apr 27, 2020 08:07AM) (new)

Great. Glad we could help, Tiffany. Thanks for the update.