The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

On the Road
This topic is about On the Road
Book Discussions > On the Road

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (last edited Jul 25, 2016 08:55AM) (new)

L (lauraactually) | 236 comments Mod
For On the Road, Marion will be leading the discussion and has broken it into 4 sections for us!

Finish Part 1 by August 7
Finish Part 2 by August 14,
Finish Part 3 by August 21
Finish Parts 4/5 by August 28

The discussion questions will be posted by Marion near the end of each week.

Until the discussion begins, feel free to discuss thoughts, expectations, etc. for the book!

message 2: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion Thanks Laura! I've never read this book so this will be interesting :)

message 3: by L (new)

I'm looking forward to this one as well. I got it last night and read the first 2 chapters, so far it's pretty good. I'll be curious to see how this one turns out, might want to watch the movie afterwards.

Vicky (vickyslibrary) I just ordered the penguin classics edition. Can't wait to start!

Iana | 1 comments I am super excited about reading it. It's a shame that all the libraries are closed now so I will have to read the ebook version. Also this sounds as an amazing book to read when traveling?

message 6: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion The only discussion questions I could find that are broken down by parts of the book are study/essay questions for classroom work. So this will be an open discussion instead. Hope everyone is enjoying the book so far! It's very different than my usual genre of choice so I'm glad it's a group read to keep me motivated.

message 7: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion Hi everyone, what are your thoughts so far of On the Road?

message 8: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion OtR is so outside my usual genre of reading that I'm having a hard time enjoying it. Thankfully, it will count for the RG Fall/Autumn Challenge (book not.actually read by Rory) and as a Classics Challenge.

message 9: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion Boo, I just saw that it's listed in the Nick & Nora/Sid & Nancy (2.5) episode so Rory probably read it.

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Hayes | 68 comments Is this the book she talks to Jess about?? I remember her talking about a book that was part of the Beat generation :)

message 11: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion Samantha, I'm not sure, and I don't have Netflix to double check it. Unless proven wrong, I'm going to go with your memory and count it as Not Read by Rory in Pilot and Nick/Nora/Sid/Nancy episodes ;)

Are you reading it for this discussion?

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Hayes | 68 comments Marion yeah I'm I'm reading it at the moment and enjoying it :) I was just curious :)

message 13: by Alia (new) - rated it 1 star

Alia | 14 comments It manages to be misogynist and poetic at the same time.

Marylou is supposed to be fifteen, so that's creepy.

Roadtrips are supposed to be fun, and they are.

And, dear Kerouac, it's not appropriate to demand attention from random women.

message 14: by Abril (new) - added it

Abril Salituri (abrilsalituri) | 2 comments The book Jess and Rory talk about is Howl. Is that episode when Jess is invited to have dinner with Lorelai and the rest.

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Hayes | 68 comments Abvil The book I'm on about is when they're together but thanks anyway :)

message 16: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Hayes | 68 comments *Abril sorry

message 17: by Abril (new) - added it

Abril Salituri (abrilsalituri) | 2 comments Oh sorry i dont know if it is this one!

message 18: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion So does anyone know if Rory actually read OtR?

Samantha, I'm glad you're enjoying the book. So far, Alia's post hits the nail on the head for me.

I like road trips, but that's the only similarity I see so far between myself and Sal.

message 19: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Hayes | 68 comments I must admit I'm still on the part. I'm sure I won't like his treatment of women if it's bad

message 20: by Alia (new) - rated it 1 star

Alia | 14 comments Marion wrote: "So does anyone know if Rory actually read OtR?"

According to a person named Amanda who may be even more into this show than we are, Jess takes this book with him the first time he goes out in ep 5, season 2.

Beat poets are supposed to be Jess's thing, but Rory owns the Ginsberg he "borrows" the first time he's at their house, so she may have read Kerouac as well. She sometimes reads music books you'd have expected to see Lane with.

message 21: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion I'm a terrible discussion leader. Instead of reading OtR tonight to be caught up on my own timeline, I downloaded and started Coffee at Luke's by Jennifer Cruse. It's a collection of essays by GG fans about all things GG.

message 22: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion *Jennifer Crusie and Leah Wilson

message 23: by L (new)

Marion wrote: "*Jennifer Crusie and Leah Wilson"

Ah, where did you find that?!

message 24: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion Laura, I was looking at Lauren Graham's book in my library's e-collection, and Coffee at Luke's was a recommendation, haha.

message 25: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion How's the book coming along for everyone? It's painful for me to read so I'm very behind :(

message 26: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion *On the Road.

I finished Coffee at Luke's in 2 nights.

Jéssica Alencar (jessicalncr) | 11 comments I'm still reading part 1 and I started it Aug 21 so... But I'm not liking it so far. I don't see a story being told here, it's more like a diary (and not an interesting one)

message 28: by Daniela (new) - added it

Daniela Salinas | 1 comments I've found it hard to get past the starting chapters. I'm going to give it a harder try because it is bumming me out that it is a classic book and quite recommended so I have to finish it.

message 29: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion Thanks. It seems the members of this group just aren't into Beatnik writing!

message 30: by Desirae (new)

Desirae | 20 comments I tried to get the book from my library, but instead got a dissection of the story, didn't want to ruin the book for me and ended up saying "I'll get it later..." Sept. is almost upon me. I'll try to pick it up for next month. :-(

Jéssica Alencar (jessicalncr) | 11 comments I think the only character I'm really enjoying on this book is Carlo Marx... And I finally reached part 2! I'm 4 pages away from part 3. It gets less boring, people, I promise (but the way he treats women only gets worse)

message 32: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion Thanks for your input, Jessica. I think the only way I'll finish this is as an audio book. I'm on my library's waitlist for the audiobook.
Desirae, want to attempt it as an unofficial buddy read?

Sorry Laura, I was a terrible discussion leader. I'll promise to do better next time I volunteer!

message 33: by Desirae (new)

Desirae | 20 comments Marion wrote: "Thanks for your input, Jessica. I think the only way I'll finish this is as an audio book. I'm on my library's waitlist for the audiobook.
..."

Yea! I would be up for that, We could continue the disscussion into next month, we are, I think only reading one book for Sept. Mdme. Bovary seems like it will be an easy read (I jumped into it already). If I don't read The Road within the month it may never be read :-)
I think you did fine with the group btw, you were honest and told people it was hard for you to read, that's a great point for us, we all read different things and at different quickness. I thought it was a great point. :-)

message 34: by L (new)

Marion wrote: "Thanks for your input, Jessica. I think the only way I'll finish this is as an audio book. I'm on my library's waitlist for the audiobook.
..."

Haha! That's okay. I find it hard to get through some of them too. I won't finish this one either, but was thinking about doing it as an audio book too.

message 35: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion Thanks ladies. I'll give it another go!

message 36: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion I'm officially giving up on this book. I've listened for an hour to the audiobook. I like the narrator's style, but I'm just not caring enough about the characters to want to keep listening. Womp womp.

My hat's off to all of you who persevered!

message 37: by Desirae (new)

Desirae | 20 comments Marion wrote: "I'm officially giving up on this book. I've listened for an hour to the audiobook. I like the narrator's style, but I'm just not caring enough about the characters to want to keep listening. Womp w..."

Ok well, at least you gave it a good go! :-)

message 38: by Wendy (new) - rated it 1 star

Wendy Downs Laura wrote: "Marion wrote: "Thanks for your input, Jessica. I think the only way I'll finish this is as an audio book. I'm on my library's waitlist for the audiobook.
Desirae, want to attempt it as an unoffici..."

So glad I wasn't the only one who didn't finish this book! I'm trying so hard to be in the discussion group but the books are just not my cup of tea!

Jéssica Alencar (jessicalncr) | 11 comments Wendy wrote: "Laura wrote: "Marion wrote: "Thanks for your input, Jessica. I think the only way I'll finish this is as an audio book. I'm on my library's waitlist for the audiobook.
Desirae, want to attempt it ..."

I have no idea how I finished this book because I seriously hated every moment of it??? Stay strong, girls, good books are coming! :) Btw I'm reading The Virgin Suicides bc in my country its suicide prevention awareness month!

message 40: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zoemmaude) | 46 comments I'm only just reading this now, trying to catch-up with the books the group already has read before I properly joined in, and I have this edition:

On the Road The Original Scroll by Jack Kerouac

61 pages in I'm on the second of three forewords by different writers and the actual text doesn't begin until p109. Wondering what I've got myself in for.

message 41: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 317 comments Mod
I actually finished the book. Just not in the month it was assigned. It did take me awhile to read it.
I think the relationship between Sal and Dean is what I focused on. In the beginning they were both young and Sal was a bit obsessed with Dean. He wanted him to like him so he did everything he wanted or ever asked of him. As the story goes on Sal grows away from Dean as he grows up and realizes at the end that Dean is just a selfish ass-hat.
I like some of the characters and Im going to watch the 2012 movie as soon as it comes from the library.

The language ,the way it was written, makes it seem like Dean is bi-polar. He hangs with Sal in his manic phase. In his depressive phase he stays at home with whomever his current wife is and broods. But, he works and saves money for all the times they are out on the road or more commonly alcohol.

To all those who couldn't get through it-I struggled with it too.