Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > 2016 4th Quarter Long Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Jul 25, 2016 08:56PM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9707 comments Mod
Nominations for the 4th Quarter Long Reads
October - December 2016

Eligible books must be a minimum of 600 pages in length. We are going to read this book over three months, so choose accordingly.

Long Read Nominations must meet the same requirements as books being nominated for our New School and Old School monthly reads. Nominations must be published prior to the year 2000.

Only the past Long Read Books listed below are NOT eligible:
Long Reads Bookshelf

War and Peace, 1st & 2nd Quarter 2014
Anna Karenina, 3rd Quarter 2014
Les Misérables, 4th Quarter 2014
The Count of Monte Cristo, 1st Quarter 2015
Gone with the Wind, 2nd Quarter 2015
Don Quixote, 3rd Quarter 2015
The Stand, 4th Quarter 2015
Middlemarch, 1st Quarter 2016
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, 2nd Quarter 2016
Bleak House by Charles Dickens, 3rd Quarter 2016

Only one nomination OR one second per member. Only books that are seconded will advance to the poll. Feel free to discuss the worthiness of a nominated book. Is it a classic? Is it worth discussion? Please avoid Spoilers in these discussions.

Nominations are open from August 1st till the 14th. Polls will be open on the 16th and run until the end of the month.

message 3: by Brina (new)

Brina I nominate And Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven Santmyer

message 4: by Dianne (new)

Dianne I'll second And Ladies

message 5: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 325 comments I second The Lord of the Rings.

message 6: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Thank you Natalie!!! ;-)

message 7: by Brina (new)

Brina Thanks Dianne :)

message 8: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 831 comments I want to nominate The Arabian Nights https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8... - 765 pages

message 9: by Nargus (new)

Nargus | 567 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "I nominate The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien."

I second this too :)

message 10: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Thank you Nargus - lets hope we prevail!!! ;-)

Michaela (Journey into Books) I second Lord of the Rings.

message 12: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Thank you Michaela973!!! ;-)

message 13: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments I second The Arabian Nights by Anonymous 1049 pages and published in 800.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I nominate Sacajawea by Anna Lee Waldo. This is roughly 1400 pages and it looks really fascinating!

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3328 comments I'll nominate The Wanderer: or, Female Difficulties since some of us plan to do a buddy read anyway and I hate to miss a good group read.

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4093 comments Great idea, Sue! I'll second The Wanderer: or, Female Difficulties.

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3328 comments Kathleen wrote: "Great idea, Sue! I'll second The Wanderer: or, Female Difficulties."

Thank you Kathleen! : ) This group is killing me. So many good things to read, so little time.

message 18: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Sue wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Great idea, Sue! I'll second The Wanderer: or, Female Difficulties."

Thank you Kathleen! : ) This group is killing me. So many good things to read, so little time."

Great idea Sue and Kathleen! This could help immensely with scheduling it in. ;-)

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 587 comments Matt wrote: "I want to nominate
The Arabian Nights
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8... - 765 pages"

Loretta wrote: "I second The Arabian Nights by Anonymous 1049 pages and published in 800."

I'll add another second for The Arabian Nights.

message 20: by Brina (new)

Brina Sacajewa sounds fascinating but I already nominated And Ladies. Will be up for buddy read of either.

message 21: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Sarah wrote: "Matt wrote: "I want to nominate
The Arabian Nights
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8... - 765 pages"

Loretta wrote: "I second The Arabian Nights by [author:A..."

That's great Sarah! :)

message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 318 comments Autumn is the perfect time to read The Lord of the Rings! And I definitely need a re-read, so I'll gladly join you if this wins. Since I already know the book I don't think it is appropriate to second this but it seems to be doing incredibly well already ;-)

message 23: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

We have some really nice nominations so far.

message 24: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 831 comments Thanks Loretta and Sarah for seconding Arabian Nights!

message 25: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Matt wrote: "Thanks Loretta and Sarah for seconding Arabian Nights!"

My pleasure Matt! :)

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 587 comments Matt wrote: "Thanks Loretta and Sarah for seconding Arabian Nights!"

You're welcome, Matt!
I read it ages ago and would enjoy a reread where I got to discuss it with people.

message 27: by Phil (new)

message 28: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments I nominate The Complete Short Stories by Ernest Hemingway.

We could take on a Hemingway short story here and there in the short story category, but I thought it would be interesting to examine how they compare to each other all together.

message 29: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Sarah Anne wrote: "I nominate Sacajawea by Anna Lee Waldo. This is roughly 1400 pages and it looks really fascinating!"

I will second this one! Yet another book I own but have never found time to read.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Thanks Christine! I really want to read it.

message 31: by Alissa (new)

message 32: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonpill) | 122 comments I nominate U.S.A. by John Dos Passos, 1184 pages.

message 33: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments Phil wrote: "Ulysses"

I can't believe I'm about to do this, but I'll second. :D

message 34: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Phil wrote: "Ulysses by James Joyce"

This would make for a great quarter read as the group is now reading The Odyssey by Homer for our Old School Classic August Read. It could be a fabulous discussion -- just saying....

message 35: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments Paula wrote: "Phil wrote: "Ulysses"

I can't believe I'm about to do this, but I'll second. :D"

You've got more guts than me! I want to take it on sometime, but I'm very intimidated by it. Kathy makes a great point, maybe this is the right time for us to tackle it.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I told a friend that I would try Ulysses in ten years :)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I tried to read Ulysses about a decade ago and got approximately 200 pages into it before I realized that I had no idea what in the world was going on. I can't believe I made it that far. I don't know if I'd be willing to try it again. Perhaps...

message 38: by Warner (new)

Warner West | 45 comments I tried Ulysses last summer and got only about a hundred pages in before I gave up. I tried it again in March and used The New Bloomsday Book. Read the full book through and loved it.

message 39: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Aug 08, 2016 04:23PM) (new)

I think reading it with the group would make it doable & much more fun.

Warner, nice to know that you ended up loving it.

message 40: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Kathy wrote: "Phil wrote: "Ulysses by James Joyce"

This would make for a great quarter read as the group is now reading The Odyssey by Homer for our Old Scho..."

It's interesting for me, as I read Ulysses earlier this year and now I'm reading The Odyssey I can really see all of the connections, although I suppose I've done it the wrong way around! Reading as a group definitely makes it easier.

message 41: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Shaver | 172 comments Sacajawea was a great book. Read that one in two nights in elementary school. The teacher wouldn't count it as read because she thought I lied when I said I finished it so fast.

message 42: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Hayley wrote: "Sacajawea was a great book. Read that one in two nights in elementary school. The teacher wouldn't count it as read because she thought I lied when I said I finished it so fast."

LOL
That is actually a sad story about education

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Wow, crappy teacher but astonishing feat. :) It's on my challenge and I've been eyeing it warily. I feel much better now.

message 44: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I want to keep LotR for next year. Maybe there will be another Fantasy bingo square...
So I nominate The Three Musketeers.

message 45: by Anetq (last edited Aug 04, 2016 03:51PM) (new)

Anetq | 329 comments As always trying to get some non-anglo reading in (and I've read LTR multiple times), so I nominate The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann. 706 pages, from 1924.

message 46: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Aug 08, 2016 04:22PM) (new)

With just a week left for nominations, here is what we have so far:

Bat-Cat: The Lord of the Rings, Seconded: Nathalie, Nargus, Michaela973
Brina: And Ladies of the Club, Seconded: Dianne
Matt: The Arabian Nights, Seconded: Loretta, Sarah, Alissa
Sarah Anne: Sacajawea, Seconded: Christine
Sue: The Wanderer: or, Female Difficulties, Seconded: Kathleen
Phil: Ulysses, Seconded: Paula
Nathan: The Complete Short Stories
Jon: U.S.A.
Phil: The Three Musketeers, Seconded: Sam
Anetq: The Magic Mountain, Seconded: Susan
Emerson: A Dance to the Music of Time: 1st Movement

message 47: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 318 comments I second The Three Musketeers.

message 48: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Thank you, Sam!

message 49: by Susan O (new)

Susan O (sozmore) I'll second The Magic Mountain. Sounds interesting.

message 50: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 348 comments I'd like to nominate A Dance to the Music of Time: 1st Movement, thank you!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.