The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

Howl and Other Poems
This topic is about Howl and Other Poems

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (new) - added it

L (lauraactually) | 236 comments Mod
This will be the discussion thread for "Howl", one of the books being read for August. The discussion will be kept in this thread, instead of having multiple threads for the book. Discussion will begin August 1st. Feel free to discuss expectations, past thoughts, what you know, what you hope to know, if you're read this book before, etc.!

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Hayes | 68 comments I read this in college but didn't really appreciate it so I can't wait to read it again! :)

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Hayes | 68 comments I really enjoyed Howl :) It was the only poem I read in the collection but was interesting

Desirae | 20 comments I didn't love it, nor did I hate it. To me it was ok. I assume some of it is lost on me as a whole just because of the time period it was written in. The adventure of roaming across America, and certain things now a days are not exactly as shocking as it was back then. i.e. homosexuality, sleeping around, and smoking pot. Maybe I just need to read more poetry. I did however like "A Supermarket in California." and "In the Baggage Room at Greyhound." Those two actually felt more "real" to me. :-)

message 5: by L (new) - added it

L (lauraactually) | 236 comments Mod
I am indifferent to it. I feel like I don't understand it like others did maybe... it made zero sense to me.

Izzy (punkrockgirlpa) | 21 comments this is one of my absolute favorites from the Rory challenge so far...i loved it so much i bought an extra TWO COPIES!!! one to mark up, and one to lend! I also bought the graphic novel version as well which is ehhhhh. Fell in love with Allen Ginsburg! now if only i felt the same way about Jack Kerouac :(

Colleen (miniguinea73) | 0 comments Just finished this the other day. It was quick and I found it online as a free access PDF. I liked some of the poems but didn't love it. I am not a fan of the beatniks. I'm glad I read it though. I loved Sunflower Sutra.