Play Book Tag discussion

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
July 2016: Biography Memoir > Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling -- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
4 stars

I do not watch The Office. I do not watch The Mindy Project. But, this book was available at the library so I picked it up and was pleasantly surprised.

I loved that Mindy and I often have some of the same thoughts. She likes being girly, she works too much and likes being in control, she cries when old men are valets and have to run in the hot sun to get her car. I enjoy reading about successful women who kick ass in male-dominated fields, and Mindy certainly fits that bill. Also, she is seen as "chubby" by Hollywood, a descriptor that makes my blood boil, but she comes across as very confident in her looks and unwilling to take crap from others. I loved that.

What I didn't like so much is that sometimes she came across as really unprofessional, especially when she was unwilling to compromise as a junior writer on The Office. There was a good life lesson there and it seems like she learned something from it, but there were several examples of that. But, growing pains when you are young and working to find your stride in the professional world.

Overall, a quick and entertaining listen and I would totally pick up her second memoir as well.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I liked this book when I read it, but Why Not Me? seemed a rehash of the first book, just a different tv show. It was just okay for me.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I started Why Not Me? and hated it. I have heard this is much better, and your review gives me hope that maybe it's worth reading!