Classics for Beginners discussion

Breakfast at Tiffany's and Three Stories
Buddy Reads > Breakfast at Tiffany's

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina | 449 comments This is the official buddy read for Breakfast at Tiffany's. We'll start reading first week of August. Feel free to share your thoughts and ideas.

message 2: by Arlene (new) - added it

Arlene Oh my gosh I love that book. It will be interesting to see what others think about the book especially if they have also watched the movie.

Heather L  (wordtrix) Read the book a few years ago, and have seen the movie many times.

message 4: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina | 449 comments I have read the book some years ago and honestly, it did not impress me that time. I felt like I just did not get what it really is about. But also decided that I needed to reread it to give it another try. So, this is the time! :-)
I haven't seen the movie yet. Will reread the book next week and then watch the movie. Looking forward to it!

message 5: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina | 449 comments I finished the book, how are you guys doing?
I really enjoyed it a lot more than the last time I read it. It fits into a row of books I've been reading recently: The Best of Everything, The Dud Avocado and to a lower extent also The Group They all also made me a bit sad about the situation of these young girls in the 50s and 60s, somehow trying to shape their lives and limited by so many factors, a main one in my opinion though the fact that they are women. Maybe that's not really the essence of these books but this is somewhat what sticked with me. All these girls have a glamorous outside but inside they seem te be very lonely and their lives are empty. They keep pretending and it's even hard to say what it is they are pretending. Almost as if they try to live a life they have heard about.

Maybe I see it al more gloomy than the authors intended it, at least Elaine Dundy and Capote Truman. The Group and The Best of Everything are gloomy for sure. That might also be the difference between those four books. The latter two show the lives of different girls in New York that all seem to have great potential but all of them struggle with realizing their potential because of the limitations society sets up for them as women. Whereas the first two books portray a girl in a big city trying to find her place there and somehow getting lost in the high society, rich men, lots of drinks etc. Though, they do seem to enjoy it. Those tow books don't really have a negative ending, they describe a phase in the girls' lives and when the book ends the story goes on.

Hmm, I feel I still need to think this over a bit more.

message 6: by Nina (new) - added it

Nina | 449 comments Arlene wrote: "Oh my gosh I love that book. It will be interesting to see what others think about the book especially if they have also watched the movie."

What is it that makes you like it so much, Arlene?

Phil J | 73 comments Finished it this morning. I was really underwhelmed. I saw the movie about eight years ago, and was underwhelmed by that as well. I really liked In Cold Blood, so I was hoping for more from the novella.

I think this is a true cult read in that either you get it or you don't. There's some kind of cultural connection that people make with this book that I'm totally missing. Maybe if I was a Sex and the City fan?

message 8: by Arlene (new) - added it

Arlene Hi Nina,
I liked the way it was written, I enjoyed the story more than the movie. The book to me made so much more sense than the movie ever did and I loved the ending (I won't write any spoilers).

Phil J | 73 comments Finished the backup stories. I loved the Christmas one and didn't care for the rest of the book. I think I was the wrong audience. I would encourage everyone to check out In Cold Blood if they haven't already. It's very different.

Here's my review.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I just started listening to the audiobook of this narrated by TV's Dexter.

I am about 25% of the way in. It has beautiful language and is keeping my attention, but I am reserving my judgement for now.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I finished! It's a wonderful character study, a microcosm of a different time and place. But I wish there had been more plot.

message 12: by Phil (new) - rated it 2 stars

Phil J | 73 comments I just finished Looking for Alaska. It reminded me a lot of Tiffany's. I thought it was actually better than Tiffany's in several ways. Has anyone else read both books?

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I've read both and wouldn't compare them. Also, LFA is more of a coming of age novel and actually has a plot.