Challenge Corner discussion

The Seamstress
This topic is about The Seamstress
Let's Buddy! - Historical > The Seamstress by Frances de Pontes Peebles->Starting August 8th 2016

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments As seamstresses, the young sisters Emília and Luzia dos Santos know how to cut, how to mend, and how to conceal. These are useful skills in the lawless backcountry of Brazil, where ruthless land barons called "colonels" feud with bands of outlaw cangaceiros, trapping innocent residents in the cross fire.

Emília, whose knowledge of the world comes from fashion magazines and romance novels, dreams of falling in love with a gentleman and escaping to a big city.

Luzia also longs to escape their little town, where residents view her with suspicion and pity. Scarred by a childhood accident that left her with a deformed arm, the quick-tempered Luzia finds her escape in sewing and in secret prayers to the saints she believes once saved her life.

But when Luzia is abducted by a group of cangaceiros led by the infamous Hawk, the sisters' quiet lives diverge in ways they never imagined. Emília stumbles into marriage with Degas Coelho, the son of a doctor whose wealth is rivaled only by his political power.

She moves to the sprawling seaside city of Recife, where the glamour of her new life is soon overshadowed by heartache and loneliness. Luzia, forced to trek through scrubland and endure a nomadic existence, proves her determination to survive and begins to see the cangaceiros as comrades, not criminals.

In Recife, Emília must hide any connection to her increasingly notorious sister. As she learns to navigate the treacherous waters of Brazilian high society, Emília sees the country split apart after a bitter presidential election. Political feuds extend to the countryside, where Luzia and the Hawk are forced to make unexpected alliances and endure betrayals that threaten to break the cangaceiros apart. But Luzia will overcome time and distance to entrust her sister with a great secret—one Emília vows to keep. And when Luzia's life is threatened, Emília will risk everything to save her.

An enthralling novel of love and courage, loyalty and adventure, that brings to life a faraway time and place, The Seamstress is impeccably drawn, rich in depth and vision, and heralds the arrival of a supremely talented new writer.

Dawnie and Bookbuyer will be reading starting August 8th.

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments This sounds really interesting.

Dawnie Jackie wrote: "This sounds really interesting."

It really is interesting, Jackie! Its also beautifully written and one of the best siblings love each other no matter what kind of stories i read ... ever i think :)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9905 comments I'll be starting this later today. :)

Dawnie Do you want to do a specific number of lags or chapters or just read and share when we stop each day/ coupled of days/ week ? :)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9905 comments Dawnie wrote: "Do you want to do a specific number of lags or chapters or just read and share when we stop each day/ coupled of days/ week ? :)"

I'm usually more of a just read type person. :)

Dawnie Then let's do that :)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9905 comments I was finally able to start this. I had it on my read list every day for the last four days but I couldn't get to it sadly. Now I've at least started and it seems good. I'm a bit leery about the time period as I dislike books set in the 20th century but it doesn't seem to be an issue so far. :)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9905 comments Finally got don the prologue at least. It seems like it's going to be a slow read for me. I'm already a bit confused. :/

Things I like so far (view spoiler)

Dawnie If you let me know what confused you I might be able to help?
But I always thought that everything get nicely explained at one point during the book, and the prologue makes a lot more sense later on in the book, when we got the actual story of the sisters and how they ended up where they ended up ;)
So just hang in there, I guess ?

I finished the prologue as well and am starting with the first chapter.

I really like all the information we get of the Brazilian culture and land, since I know nothing about it so I always love when a book explains the differences not inky to other countries but also how there is a different between land and city.

I also find the writing style very nice, but I can see why it might take a while tormead, since it is not one of those books that you can just fly through.

I do hope you are enjoying it even if it is not a fast read :)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9905 comments Dawnie wrote: "If you let me know what confused you I might be able to help?
But I always thought that everything get nicely explained at one point during the book, and the prologue makes a lot more sense later ..."

It seems nice. I also like the little bits of culture throw in. Like the peddlers and explanation of how the little boy was adopted. I'm going to be reading chapter one today and probably chapter two as well. :)

Dawnie Sounds great :)

And I am happy to hear that you're also someone that enjoys those cultural aspects, I think then you will enjoy this book since there quite a few moments like that throughout this book :)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9905 comments Dawnie wrote: "Sounds great :)

And I am happy to hear that you're also someone that enjoys those cultural aspects, I think then you will enjoy this book since there quite a few moments like that throughout this ..."

Awesome! :D

message 15: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Aug 17, 2016 09:03PM) (new) - added it

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9905 comments I tried again today to get some pages done but it's a very slow read for me. :(

Dawnie I think I'll be able to get back to the book either tomorrow or on the weekend, didn't get much reading done the last couple of days, sadly.

Take your time, we don't need to break a record ;)