The Filipino Group discussion

The History of Love
This topic is about The History of Love
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [F2F Book Discussions] F2F56 | The History of Love by Nicole Krauss | Theme: Poignant Writer, Passionate Lover

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria Ella (last edited Jul 27, 2016 11:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Hello~

I am Ella, and for August 2016, I will be discussing a book that has read by many members of TFG; but for some reason, it hasn't given a chance to do an online and offline (face-to-face) discussion, even though most of us rated it with 3 or 4 stars. I am also encouraging the online lurkers / newbies / returnees to participate in the same, so a re-read of the novel is a must.

Do not be deceived by its title, for it is never a romantic shiz. It is a book about loss, of travel, and of reunion.

The book is tough to find, really. You can hunt a physical copy in the Book Sale branches, or order via Amazon and Book Depository. Fully Booked in Manila and Cebu branches have copies of Paperback, but as at the moment, it is a sold-out sensation. AGAIN.

For a soft-copy of the book (view spoiler)

For an audio-book (view spoiler)

Holler over the discussion, we encourage everyone!
For a start, pop quiz:

If you have read the book, what is the scene you still remember in The History of Love? And if you haven't, what do you think about The History of Love after reading its blurb?

Happy Reading! ☺

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments Troll...

Monique (attymonique) | 2127 comments Pop quiz:

(view spoiler)

P.S. What everyone said. >.<

message 4: by Angus (last edited Jul 25, 2016 10:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments The scene I still remember: (view spoiler) I think I need the audiobook, I don't remember the details despite my stellar rating.

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments The scene that I can still remember is (view spoiler) Like everyone, I think I also need a reread for the discussion.

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments What I still remember:
(view spoiler)

Meliza (mecawish) | 720 comments I'm one of the few TFG members who haven't read the book yet. :) My expectations are high since a lot of you rated it 5 stars. Also because it's included in the TFG ReaderCon Reco List 2013. Oh, and it's under The Laslas Fanatics category (the books that could make you wallow in despair). So, yeah, I expect a heartbreaking story.

message 8: by Gay (new) - added it

Gay | 58 comments What is the scene you still remember in The History of Love?
(view spoiler)

message 9: by Tin (last edited Jul 26, 2016 05:20AM) (new) - added it

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments Pop quiz:(view spoiler)

message 10: by Maria Ella (last edited Jul 26, 2016 06:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Tin wrote: "Ay, hinde pala ito 'romantic shiz'? Pfft. Na disappoint ako. Hahahahaha.
At in both books, pareho pa adolescent yung protagonist."

Ahhh, hi Tin! ☺
One is correct, for the book may talk about the love, but not the kind of love we see in the books of Jojo Moyes and David Nicholls.

And, I am not sure if this might contain less of the telenovela, because once you read its excerpt in a quiet place, you see vivid images of the character speaking to you.

Listen to the quiet, and listen to them speaking to you.
The vibe is more of Marilynne Robinson's Gilead, so good luck and happy reading! ☺

Ingrid (gridni) | 601 comments Same scene with Angus, Aaron, and Louize

Also, troll

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments [Some fillers to mind the Gap]

Did you know that an excerpt (or the first chapter) appeared in The New Yorker last 2004? Click this link and refresh your memory.

And recently, I have learned that AFTER YEARS of WAITING, the movie is in post-production na~
Here is what I found.
British actor (and an audiobook vocal) Derek Jacobi will play the role of Leo Gursky. I hope the movie will be good. ☺

(view spoiler)

Listen to the quiet, and listen to Leo talking to you.

Veronica | 734 comments Pop quiz:

(view spoiler)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments All,

Links for the soft copy and the audio book are now updated ON THE FIRST POST

Thank you! :)

message 15: by Maria Ella (last edited Jul 30, 2016 11:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Reading Plan:

Hello all!

It is encouraged to read at your own pace, but for the purposes of the discussion, you can use the below guide so that you can participate in the discussion questions. Free posting rule is allowed, provided you cover the critical parts in spoiler tags, (view spoiler) and provided, you consider the other readers of their slower pace.

The book has at least three voices, represented by the icons located on the upper right on each other.
Heart for Leo
Compass for Alma
Book for Zvi

August 1 - 5: Heart-Compass-Book; starting with The Last Words on Earth

August 6 - 10: Heart-Compass-Book; starting with A Joy Forever

August 11 - 15: Heart-Compass-Book-Heart-Compass-Book; the longest and most engrossing bits of the book; starting with Until the Writing Hand Hurts and ends with the chapter The Last Page

August 16 - 19: Compass-Ship-Heart-Ship-END - The Final parts of the Novel

Posting of Discussion Questions might be at a random day, depending on my availability as a Moderator. I hope I can see you guys also throwing questions, and I will try to answer as much as I can.

For now, here is another pop quiz:

If you have read the first part of the book, before the Chapter 1, Nicole Krauss has dedicated the book to her grandparents, saying -
For my grandparents, who taught me the opposite of disappearing
And then affixing their passport photos.

To you, what is your impression to this dedication? Do you think it has connection to the theme of the book?

Monique (attymonique) | 2127 comments Pop Quiz #2:

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Tin (new) - added it

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments Pop Quiz 2:(view spoiler)

message 18: by KaZaam (last edited Aug 05, 2016 02:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

KaZaam | 151 comments Pop Quiz 1: (view spoiler)

Pop Quiz 2: (view spoiler)

Veronica | 734 comments Pop Quiz #2

(view spoiler)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Pop Quiz #2
(view spoiler)

message 21: by Maria Ella (last edited Aug 07, 2016 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

How is your reading so far? I see that this weekend is a rainy one, and a perfect night to go on reading the book while listening to the audio-book (view spoiler)

Hi Kathy and Tin! I am glad you appreciate Leo's comic antics. Listening to him is also a test of patience (view spoiler)

Anyway, some discussion questions -
1. Uncle Julian tells Alma,
Wittgenstein once wrote that when the eye sees something beautiful, the hand wants to draw it.
What is your take in Leo's process to write his book?

2. May curious question ako -
If you refer to the page 25 of the Norton TP version of the book, the last paragraph (view spoiler)

3. May nagpapatanong! Pop quiz #3
What is your take on this? (view spoiler)
Again, please open once you have read this part - page 38, Norton TP, Item 7 (view spoiler)

So yun lang, hope you can enlighten me and the rest of the lurkers for this discussion. ☺

Maricar Dizon (maricardizon) | 8 comments It has been so long since I read this book. All i remember now was that I cried every few pages so it took me so long to finish it. haha. I will re-read it. The History Of Love is one of my most favorite book. :)

Anyway, if you're looking for a copy, I found mine sa booksale cubao. :)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Hi Maricar, please do. I also have some questions that need clarification.

And if you are available on August 20th, do attend our face to face book discussion in BGC, Taguig. Hope you participate both online and offline. :)

Monique (attymonique) | 2127 comments Discussion Questions

(view spoiler)

Veronica | 734 comments Discussion Questions

(view spoiler)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments Discussion questions:

I'm 65% into the audiobook, might finish it today.

(view spoiler)

KaZaam | 151 comments (view spoiler)

Bennard | 730 comments Pop Quiz #1:

(view spoiler)

Pop Quiz #2:

(view spoiler)

Pop Quiz #3:

(view spoiler)

I've done re-reading the part where I asked the telenovela moment, and I am a bit sad because it was not what I imagined the first time. Rereading some bits of the book wanes the feels~ lol.

And uuhhh (view spoiler)

Since I am going away for the long vacation~ (view spoiler) I might have little time to post some questions about the other parts.

Just keep on reading as per schedule. I will try my best to post the questions soonest.

Labyu all and see you,
Ella

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Pop Quiz # 2
(view spoiler)

Pop Quiz # 3
(view spoiler)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Hello guys!

I was too busy with the travel and work, I only have these few moments to jot my questions down - so Long Test lol
For those who are attending the Face-to-face discussion, see you. Hope I am fully prepared to throw the questions, but mostly, I wanted to see you and keep in touch. :)

Ok, for those who are done with reading, YAY! Congratulations. Laslas or lukewarm feels, it doesn't matter. I am happy that you have read (or re-read) the book. For those who are still reading - kaya nyo yan mga besh! AJA! GO FIGHT LANG ANG MOTTO IN LIFE.

Questions:

1. What role does validation play in the many acts of writing in The History of Love? For example, Isaac having many awards, while Leo remained like a mysterious writer. Do the awards help you as a reader to appreciate a book?

2. Why is it so important to Alma that Bird act normal? How normal is Alma?

3. What do you think on Bird's sentiments of wanting to be a lamed vovnik, is this paranoia or his mechanism of coping with loss?

4. Do you have any suggestions for an alternate ending? Or does the last page gave the sense of ending you wanted to have/to happen?

So there - other questions will be asked on the F2F. See you! :D

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.