Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

A Hodge Podge Folder > Book Sales

Comments Showing 1-50 of 821 (821 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jul 25, 2016 02:15AM) (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Half a King book one of the shattered sea trilogy is on sale for Kindle to $2.99 from $11.99.

Half the World which is book two in the series is on for $5.99 from $11.99

Genghis: Birth of an Empire which is historical fiction not fantasy but something I've been wanting to read is on sale for $2.99 from $11.99. There's 5 completed books in this series which gets great reviews.

Book two of this series Genghis: Lords of the Bow is also on sale for $5.99 from $11.99.

I'd be up for doing the Shattered Sea as a group read later this year.

message 2: by Eli (new)

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments Scott wrote: "Genghis: Birth of an Empire which is historical fiction not fantasy but something I've been wanting to read is on sale for $2.99 from $11.99. There's 5 completed books in this series which gets great reviews. "

I have read those and really really loved them! I did accidentally read the fourth book first (I didn't know it was a series), but it made little difference. The story of Genghis' rise to power is just pure awesomeness.

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Eli wrote: "I have read those and really really loved them!."

Sweet, great to know.

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

The Rook is on sale for Kindle on a one day sale for $2.99 from $9.99. I read this in May. It's the first book in a series where book two just came out in June. A very good urban fantasy book that's sort of James Bond meets Harry Dresden meets Gone Girl rolled into one. I gave it 4*'s. If the author had thought it out it could have been an epic 5* with a few different choices. It started out amazing and then there were a few WTF moments where IMO it came off as a parody. Nonetheless I'd recommend it and some of the group I read it with liked book two better.

Jenna, Grace, Scott (not me), and Tammie all gave it 4*.

Margret and Kaora each 3*.

message 5: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Thanks Scott! I added it to the want to read pile... This pile is becoming longer and longer (it grows far quicker than my ability to read books unfortunately!)

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Millard | 30 comments I don't know if this counts as a "book sale", but I'm looking to send good condition, hardcover copies of The Thousand Names and The Shadow Throne to a good home for cheap or available to swap!

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Daniel wrote: "I don't know if this counts as a "book sale", but I'm looking to send good condition, hardcover copies of The Thousand Names and The Shadow Throne to a good home for..."

That definitely counts. I do Kindle for nearly everything so I have little to trade plus I've read them but the idea itself is excellent.

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Millard | 30 comments I'm a hardcopy junkie, be it books or CDs. Really, I'd rather swap them, but I do get the sense that many here are digital readers as well.

message 9: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

A Crucible of Souls for $1.99 fro m$8.99. The author is self published which I simply have to support and book three is coming out in September.

message 10: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Scott wrote: "A Crucible of Souls for $1.99 fro m$8.99. The author is self published which I simply have to support and book three is coming out in September."

Yet another book that I own and have not read. I would be up for a buddy read at some point.

message 11: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Jenna wrote: "Yet another book that I own and have not read. I would be up for a buddy read at some point. ."

I might swap this out as my "H" book in the A-Z since I now own it and do it this month if you're interested.

message 12: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Yet another book that I own and have not read. I would be up for a buddy read at some point. ."

I might swap this out as my "H" book in the A-Z since I now own it and do it this mont..."

I could do it this month - after finishing Midnight Tides perhaps?

message 13: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Jenna wrote: "I could do it this month - after finishing Midnight Tides perhaps? ."

Works for me.

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

First two young books in the Young Elite series are on sale for $1.99 reduced from $9.99

The Young Elites
The Rose Society

Because the 3rd and final comes out in October.
The Midnight Star

message 15: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

The Crown Tower
Theft of Swords
Menagerie

All three are on sale at Audible for $3.95. Tim Gerard Reynolds does all the Riyeria books and is one of the top narrators. Crown Tower is a group read kicking off Oct 1st. Menagerie I'm doing as part of an A to Z challenge and I'll do it later in Sept to get rid of the pesky letter V. If anybody has an interesting in a group listen let me know.

message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

The Passage on sale for Kindle $1.99 from $11.99 on a one day sale. I'd be interested in this for a potential standalone that possibly leads to the rest of the series.

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

The Lions of Al-Rassan which is an October buddy read has a price drop for Kindle for $6.99 from $7.99. It's unclear if this drop will remain or go back up. I've waited thinking a small drop like this would just remain and it has only been temporary so I bought it thinking it won't go down lower before our read. Both Night of Knives and Guns of the Dawn had temporary drops that I didn't take advantage of in the past.

message 18: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1080 comments http://ebookclub.tor.com/

Tor is offering the first book of Malazan for free this month (ebook)

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1766 comments Good deal, Olivia. I was just coming here to put that up. I really like this free ebook of the month thing Tor started doing.

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Sep 02, 2016 09:03AM) (new)

GOTM is such an awesome book.

Anybody ever use http://www.thriftbooks.com/ for used books?

Trying to defer some costs I got the following all in hardcover for $16.91 USD including shipping which would have run me $50.96 for Kindle or more for new paperback. I love my Kindle and get some great deals but I might use this when I can.

The Alloy of Law
The Warrior Prophet
The Thousandfold Thought
Best Served Cold
The Afghan Campaign

message 21: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Olivia wrote: "http://ebookclub.tor.com/

Tor is offering the first book of Malazan for free this month (ebook)"

I'm loving the free Tor e-book of the month and I already have GotM in paperback, but everyone who doesn't have a copy should take advantage of this!

Scott wrote: "GOTM is such an awesome book.

Anybody ever use http://www.thriftbooks.com/ for used books?

Trying to defer some costs I got the following all in hardcover for $16.91 USD including shipping whic..."

That is a sweet deal! I'm going to check out the site.

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1766 comments Here's a freebie this group might be interested in, from Audible: http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fant...

At the Sign of the Crow and Moon

message 23: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Thanks Chris. Always love the freebies.

message 24: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Entire Raven's Shadow series on sale on audible for $5.95

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I liked but didn't love the narrator for Raven's Shadow. His voice tended to lull me to sleep at times.

message 26: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

I only did Queen of Fire audio but tend to agree with you

message 27: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I did the first two and then quit the series because even people who loved the first two books at best only liked book three.

message 28: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "I did the first two and then quit the series because even people who loved the first two books at best only liked book three."

Yeah, the third one was definitely a disappointment.

message 29: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

And considering you were lukewarm on Tower Lord (which I loved) no point in continuing

message 30: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Margret wrote: "And considering you were lukewarm on Tower Lord (which I loved) no point in continuing"

Exactly. I still loved Tower Lord, though not as much as Blood Song. But if you didn't really like Tower Lord, there is no reason for you to read Queen of Fire. I was quite sad when I read Queen of Fire because Blood Song is one of my favourites.

message 31: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

They were well written but as I've said before about the books I like grim-dark and they were grim-grim. They didn't have the camaraderie and caustic humor I love in spite of dark situations.

message 32: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

The Fifth Season is on sale for $2.99 on Kindle. This book has gotten rave reviews from everybody on my buddy list. I'd do a group read on it and go right into the second book if it's as good as advertised. There's even a few people who consistently give 2's and 3's to books I love who have given this 4's and 5's.

message 33: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "The Fifth Season is on sale for $2.99 on Kindle. This book has gotten rave reviews from everybody on my buddy list. I'd do a group read on it and go right into the second book if it..."

I would also love to read this book as well.

message 34: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Huge sale on audible, I got A Crucible of Souls, the Emperors Blades, and about 5 other books on my wish list for $5

message 35: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Margret wrote: "Huge sale on audible, I got A Crucible of Souls, the Emperors Blades, and about 5 other books on my wish list for $5"

Simon Vance does The Unhewn Throne series. He is excellent.

message 36: by Tammie (last edited Sep 19, 2016 11:07AM) (new)

Tammie | 4253 comments If anyone plans on reading The Emperor's Blades and likes to listen to audio books, the audible version is on sale today for $4.95 if you are a member. The Hobbit is also on there for the same price. https://www.audible.com/mt/WWS2016?pa...

message 37: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4253 comments Margret wrote: "Huge sale on audible, I got A Crucible of Souls, the Emperors Blades, and about 5 other books on my wish list for $5"

Haha we both posted about it at the same time, funny!

message 38: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1766 comments They've got some good ones on there. Fuzzy Nation was fantastic on audio. So was Fool's Errand.

Tammie, they have the third Expanse on there too.

message 39: by Chris (new)

message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1766 comments The Death of Dulgath is on sale today and tomorrow (in US) for $0.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Dulgath-...

Also on Nook and other formats.

message 41: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Illuminae $1.99 from $10.99 and The Mirror Empire $1.99 from $6.99 both on Kindle.

message 42: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Range of Ghosts Elizabeth Bear is this month's TOR free read. Be sure to download your copy.

message 43: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

The Red Knight book one of three in the Traitor Son Cycle $2.99 from $9.99.

The Tyrant's Law book three and a group read in the Dagger and Coin series $7.99 from $9.99. Book two which most of us just started is on sale for the same deal if you haven't started it.

message 44: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments In case anyone didn't know. There are a lot of books on amazon that if you buy or ever have bought the physical version of the book you can get the kindle ebook for 2.99 or less.

message 45: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4253 comments Audible has nearly all their sci-fi and fantasy books 50% off through Ocober 10.

message 46: by John (new)

John Compton | 163 comments Sabriel by Nix (Nookbook) at Barnes & Noble for $1.99

message 47: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4253 comments Theft of Swords is 2.99 on Kindle today.

message 48: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding today on Kindle $1.99 from $9.99. This is book one of four in the tales of Ketty Jay series. I'd do this as a group series next year in a similar fashion to Dagger and Coin. One book a month until we are done.

Retribution Falls (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #1) by Chris Wooding

message 49: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Hope and Red by Jon Skovron is on-sale for kindle $2.99 from $9.99 in the US. Not sure about other countries.

message 50: by Chris (last edited Oct 24, 2016 06:33PM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1766 comments Beyond Redemption is on sale for $1.99 on B&N, Amazon, Ibooks, and Google in the US.

So is Horns

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17