Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Children of the Dragon: Selected Tales from Vietnam
This topic is about Children of the Dragon
Children of the Dragon, by Sherry Garland

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J (last edited Jul 24, 2016 11:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

J Austill | 664 comments "Legend has it that more than four thousand years ago a mighty dragon prince named Lac Long Quan married a fairy princess named Au Co. From these parents the Vietnamese people were born.
With power, humor, and grace, Sherry Garland shares six of her favorite folktales of Vietnam. Passed down through the ages, these colorful stories depict the rich history, tribal customs, explanations of natural phenomena, and values so important to the Vietnamese people. Award-winning illustrator Trina Schart Hyman brings these magically entertaining and vividly detailed stories to life in an introduction to the folktales of Vietnam that is nothing less than masterful."

I read this book for the Week 30: A fairytale from a culture other than your own prompt.

This was quite solid, if also a very quick read. The art was well done and there were discussions of the cultural aspect of each tale after wards. I wouldn't mind finding out that it were part of a larger series where the other books were from other cultures.

Interestingly, the titular tale is not in the book. This worked well for me,as I have read a few variants of that one already. I also wish that they had left in the accent marks for any untranslated words (like names).

My daughter was still a bit young young for me to read these to her, but in a couple years I will check it out from the library again (or buy a copy).

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2854 comments It's so interesting to discover tales from other cultures, I definitely want to read that!