Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Natural Way of Things - Charlotte Wood - ★★★★

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (last edited Jul 25, 2016 03:54AM) (new)

Susie | 4488 comments The Natural Way of Things won the 2016 Indie Book of the Year, the Indie Fiction Book of the Year, and the Stella Prize prizes, was shortlisted for the Victorian Premier’s Literary Award, and longlisted for the Miles Franklin.

I listened to the novel in audio and the voice actor did a marvellous job. Her voice perfectly matched the stripped back, at times brutal, and unique narrative. I appreciated hearing an audio book that was set in Australia and read by an Australian.

Two women awake from a drugged sleep to find themselves captive at an abandoned property in the middle of the desert. The novel is character driven rather than plot driven, so don't expect a racey thriller. It is essentially the story of an unlikely friendship unfurling in the face of their captivity, and explores misogyny and power.

I thoroughly enjoyed Wood's offering, however would not recommend it to everyone. I found the writing to be beautiful, and the themes explored to be interesting and important. A very unique novel.

message 2: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I truly appreciate your review. I've had my eye on this book for some time - didn't realize it had been released yet in the US (June 28).

The story line has always sounded interesting to me but appreciate the further information in your review telling me that it is character driven more than plot driven - character driven is generally a plus for me.

Unfortunately, my library doesn't offer it in audio.

message 3: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments For those playing Shelfagories, it qualifies for an independent publisher - Europa.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I got the audio on Audible. I was surprised they had it. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. A friend read it and hated it! We are discussing it at my book club this Friday and I'm expecting varied responses.