Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Bingo Challenge > Angela's Bingo Challenge ***COMPLETED***

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Jun 11, 2017 02:57PM) (new)

Angela | 3585 comments Mod
I'm going to go for a line first and see how I go from there.

Start date: July 25th 2016 until 16th June 2017

Fantasy Buddy Reads Bingo Challenge

X . X . X . X . X

X . X . X . X . X

X . X . X . X . X

X . X . X . X . X

X . X . X . X . X

1. A buddy read with someone in the group The King's Blood Completed 19th October
2. A debut novel Gardens of the Moon Completed 31st October
3. A book under 300 pages And Then There Were None Completed 23rd August
4. A book you own and haven’t read yet A King's Ransom Completed 6th September
5. A book with a blue cover Silent in the Sanctuary Completed 12th February
6. A book in a series you have already started Grave Peril Completed 1st September
7. A book with an anti-hero The Lies of Locke Lamora Completed 14th August
8. A book recommended by someone on Goodreads The Seeker Completed 9th June.
9. A Young Adult book The Demon King Completed 11th March
10. A book by an author you have not read before The Dragon's Path Completed 6th September
11. A book with a one-word title Stardust Completed 8th November
12. A book you can read in one day Blood Follows Completed 13th March
13. FREE SPACE - Read further in a series. Deadhouse Gates

14. A book featuring an unlikely friendship Chains of the Heretic
15. A book over 800 pages Memories of Ice Completed 18th May
16. A book published before 1970 The Mysterious Affair at Styles Completed September 2016
17. A book on your to-read list for more than one year Silent in the Grave
18. A book with a person on the cover Summer Knight Completed 24th October
19. A book from a (sub)genre you don’t usually read Iron Lake - contemporary mystery Completed 7th February
20. A book by an author under 25 at the time it was published P.S. I Love You Completed April 13th
21. A book with a dragon in it Discount Armageddon Completed 22nd January

22. A book published this year Death and Relaxation Completed 17th August
23. A standalone book Why Not Me? Completed 6th September
24. The last book in a series The Last Mortal Bond Completed 21st September
25. A book of your choice Dead Beat Completed 18th January

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Good luck!

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Good luck. I have to finish my A to Z challenge before I do any others. I'm almost at 16 letters done and don't see getting done before the end of the year.

message 4: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "Good luck. I have to finish my A to Z challenge before I do any others. I'm almost at 16 letters done and don't see getting done before the end of the year."

Exactly why I'm doing this challenge - I'm never going to get my A-Z done.

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Jenna wrote: "Exactly why I'm doing this challenge - I'm never going to get my A-Z done."

If I wasn't as far along I think I'd do the same as you.

I plan to sneak in a couple books in August to get to 18. Both of the planned books are only in the 350- ish range for pages so not that bad.

8 books over the last two months with my already comical schedule will be tough but really I have until 4-20-17 to complete it in a year so I should be ok.

message 6: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Jul 26, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

As you saw Scott on the A-Z I'm struggling so have now decided to add books which aren't fantasy. You are doing so well on the challenge Scott.

I guess it would have been easier to finish the A-Z if I stuck to the fantasy genre, but I do like to mix it up with other genres.

message 7: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "As you saw Scott on the A-Z I'm struggling so have now decided to add books which aren't fantasy. You are doing so well on the challenge Scott.

I guess it would have been easier to finish the A-Z..."

The main problem is reading the first in a series and then you end up reading the same letter over and over.

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Jenna wrote: "The main problem is reading the first in a series and then you end up reading the same letter over and over. ..."

Ya I've read 8 Erikson books alone since I started it. I have 7 or 8 S's as well.

message 9: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "The main problem is reading the first in a series and then you end up reading the same letter over and over. ..."

Ya I've read 8 Erikson books alone since I started it. I have 7 or 8..."

Yeah, Erikson and then for "S" I have Sanderson (x5), Sullivan (x4) and Saylards (x1).

message 10: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Jul 26, 2016 03:11PM) (new)

Agreed Jenna and Scott. That is an issue as well. Especially the letter S. So many books / series starting with that letter. Salyards x 2, Staveley x 2, Stevens x 2

message 11: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments This is such an interesting challenge - good luck Angela!

message 12: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Aug 14, 2016 03:00PM) (new)

Yay I've read my first book for the challenge.

1. A buddy read with someone in the group.

The Lies of Locke Lamora

message 13: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "Yay I've read my first book for the challenge.

1. A buddy read with someone in the group.

The Lies of Locke Lamora"

Woohoo!

message 14: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Go Angela! :-)

message 15: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Well done Angela!!

message 16: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Thanks guys.

message 17: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Book 2 down.

22. A book published this year.

Death and Relaxation Rated 3/5.

message 18: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Nice Angela!!

message 19: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

3/25

3. A book under 300 pages.

And Then There Were None 5/5 Absolutely brilliant and has all the elements I love in a good mystery. Essentially I had no idea who the murderer was.

message 20: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Glad you enjoyed it. And another one down, woohoo :-)

message 21: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Two in the same row now! Go Angela!

message 22: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Very well done, Angela! I am soooo happy to see you making progress!

message 23: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Thanks guys. It's a lot of fun!

message 24: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Sep 01, 2016 04:07PM) (new)

4/25

6. A book in a series you have already started.

Grave Peril 4/5. I had a blast reading Harry Dresden and really looking forward to carrying on with the series.

message 25: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Congrats, Angela. Nice you're having fun with this series. I stopped after the second one but I was a little sorry for it, because I did think Harry to be an interesting and fun character.

message 26: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Dani I am finding the Dresden Files more entertaining than I had thought I would. I really like having a male lead in an urban fantasy book as so many of them have female leads.

message 27: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "Dani I am finding the Dresden Files more entertaining than I had thought I would. I really like having a male lead in an urban fantasy book as so many of them have female leads."

I want to read the series, but I don't think I'll start until I finish some of the series that I'm already part of the way through.

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1767 comments I love the Dresden Files.

message 29: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Urban fantasy isn't usually a genre I read in, so I guess that didn't help. But Harry is great so who knows, I may read another book in the series down the line, if only for my bingo challenge :-).

Strange that most urban fantasy leads are female. I wonder why that is.

message 30: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

5/25

10. A book by an author you have not read before.

The Dragon's Path 4/5. A great read. I'm looking forward to continuing with the series.

message 31: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Dani urban fantasy does tend to be largely targeted at women. Perhaps it's in part that most urban fantasy will also have a romantic storyline in it, that is usually central to the plot? 9 x out of 10 there will be an alpha male in the story who the main character ends up with. At least that's how it's largely been in the ones I've read.

message 32: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

6 /25

24. The last book in a series

The Last Mortal Bond 4 /5. I thought The Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne a great trilogy.

message 33: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Angela I usually am not a big fan of romance heavy storylines in novels (but of course there are exceptions) and usually prefer a male lead over a female's. I have been thinking about reading more urban fantasy at some point and for instance try Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series, given its huge popularity.
Is that a good place to start do you think or can you recommend something else that might be more up my alley?

message 34: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Ilona Andrews is very popular. I only read the first 4 Kate Daniels and did enjoy them. A lot of my GR friends do rave about the series. If you want a make POV I love Devon Monk's Broken Magic series. It's not that well know, but an intriguing read. The Hollows by Kim Harrison is also very good. It is female POV.

message 35: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Just to add Broken Magic is only 2 books and 1 novella not a massive time commitment.

Charlie Madigan is excellent by Kelly Gay. Female POV. But an older character for UF as she is in her 30's and I found her a bit more realistic then a lot of UF leads. Though the author lost her publishing deal do only 4 books to date. Book 4 does end on a note though that is satisfying as a reader.

Thanks for asking for a recommendation. I hoe out of the couple I have mentioned you might she something you like.

message 36: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Ah a spelling mistake in my first reply Dani it should say male POV.

message 37: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Thanks for your thoughts Angela. It's much appreciated.

I'm certainly going to check out some of the titles you mentioned. Especially Broken Magic sounds intriguing and I like the fact that it's not a huge time commitment.

message 38: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

7/25

18. A book with a person on the cover.

Summer Knight 4/5. I'm really starting to enjoy The Dresden Files. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

message 39: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Well done Angela! You are making so much progress here!

message 40: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Good work, Angela. I'm seriously thinking of giving Harry another chance, although it's unlikely to be anytime soon cause 2017 is pretty much fully booked already.

message 41: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Thanks Aristea and Dani.

Dani you are so organised.

message 42: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Haha, how so?

message 43: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Oct 03, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Haha it makes me smile when you say 2017 is already pretty full for books you plan to read Dani. :-)

message 44: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments erm.. yes what can I say, I'm a total nerdy list maker haha.
But planning it all ahead doesn't guarantee not changing my mind about the reading list at least a couple of times as time progresses.. ;-)

message 45: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

9/25

4. A book you own and haven’t read yet.

A King's Ransom 5/5 Absolutely brilliant historical fiction about the Plantagenets. Penman is fantastic.

23. A standalone book

Why Not Me? 2/5 What a struggle, but I needed a book for another challenge I was doing as it was a pretty short book. It was by Mindy Kaling who stars in The Mindy Project. I guess I just expected it to be funny.

message 46: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Well done Angela, you're doing so well.

message 47: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Dani I think I've done the easy ones first.

message 48: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Haha, well you're probably gonna regret that.

message 49: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Very true. ;)

message 50: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

10/25 and I've nearly got my first line.

2. A debut novel.

Gardens of the Moon 5/5. I'm very keen to carry on with the series.

« previous 1 3