Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Bingo Challenge > Jenna's Bingo Challenge ***COMPLETED***

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jun 10, 2017 02:35AM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
I've decided to go for the full board - we'll see how long that takes. Start date: 24-07-2016.
End date: 10-06-2017.

Fantasy Buddy Reads Bingo Challenge

X . X . X . X . X

X . X . X . X . X

X . X . X . X . X

X . X . X . X . X

X . X . X . X . X

1. A buddy read with someone in the group - The Price of Valour 27-07-2016
2. A debut novel - Night of Knives 08-09-2016
3. A book under 300 pages - Crack'd Pot Trail 30-10-2016
4. A book you own and haven’t read yet - All the Light We Cannot See 10-06-2017
5. A book with a blue cover - A Crucible of Souls 13-08-2016
6. A book in a series you have already started - Veil of the Deserters 28-08-2016
7. A book with an anti-hero - The Blade Itself 17-08-2016
8. A book recommended by someone on Goodreads - The Lions of Al-Rassan 10-03-2017
9. A Young Adult book - Fall of the Dragon Prince 21-02-2017
10. A book by an author you have not read before - The Dragon's Path 05-09-2016
11. A book with a one word title - Stonewielder 17-01-2017
12. A book you can read in one day - Full Moon Rising 27-01-2017
13. FREE SPACE
14. A book featuring an unlikely friendship - Heir of Novron 01-08-2016
15. A book over 800 pages - Midnight Tides 11-08-2016
16. A book published before 1970 - 1984 19-01-2017
17. A book on your to-read list for more than one year -The Waking Fire 09-06-2017
18. A book with a person on the cover - Reaper's Gale 29-10-2016
19. A book from a (sub)genre you don’t usually read - Stormdancer 06-09-2016
20. A book by an author under 25 at the time it was published - The Story of My Life 10-06-2017
21. A book with a dragon in it - The Bonehunters 20-09-2016
22. A book published this year - The Guns of Empire 14-12-2016
23. A standalone book - Neverwhere 15-10-2016
24. The last book in a series - Chains of the Heretic 09-01-2017
25. A book of your choice - The Night Circus 18-10-2016

message 2: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Good luck, Jenna.
I am considering joining the Bingo fun as well. Just one question though (at the risk of sounding dumb). What's the #13 Free Space about?

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "Good luck, Jenna.
I am considering joining the Bingo fun as well. Just one question though (at the risk of sounding dumb). What's the #13 Free Space about?"

Well, normally bingo has one free space so I added it in.

(Mostly I just couldn't come up with any more ideas)

message 4: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Haha, okay. I''ll come up with something for that space. This list is going to take me ages anyway, so one more can't hurt.

message 5: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "Haha, okay. I''ll come up with something for that space. This list is going to take me ages anyway, so one more can't hurt."

For the free space, you don't have to read anything - it's like a reading vacation. It's a pretty cool idea that you have to make one up for that one too. Whatever you want to do. :)

message 6: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Good luck Jenna!

message 7: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Aristea wrote: "Good luck Jenna!"

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jul 28, 2016 11:35AM) (new)

It's only fitting that the first book to add to my challenge was a buddy read with the group! The Price of Valour
5* review

Buddy read with Scott and Dan.

message 9: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I'm pretty sure Hadrian and Royce's relationship is the epitome of an unlikely friendship - they just had to take my #14 spot. Heir of Novron
5* review

Buddy read with Jarek.

message 10: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Hey, everyone! I'm looking for recommendations for my #8 spot. I'll be picking one that is recommended to me through the Goodreads recommendation tool: CLICK HERE.

If we are friends, my request should come up on the list. If we are not friends, feel free to add me if you have something you want to recommend (or if you just want to be friends).

message 11: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Thanks to the couple people who did recommend me a book - I will decide which one I will read for my challenge when I tackle some more books on my monstrous buddy read list. I'm also pretty sure I'll read all of the recommendations because they look like super fun books. If you would still like to add to my list, the link is in the above post and I welcome all suggestions.

message 12: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Hi Jenna, a bit off topic (I hope that's okay) but could you tell how you do that; making a link that reads like the text of your choosing (I mean like the link that reads "click here" in one of your previous posts)? I've tried and tried that but failed miserably every time (yes, I feel stupid).

message 13: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Aug 05, 2016 12:16AM) (new)

Dani wrote: "Hi Jenna, a bit off topic (I hope that's okay) but could you tell how you do that; making a link that reads like the text of your choosing (I mean like the link that reads "click here" in one of yo..."

Haha, off-topic is always okay. :)
If you see your comment box, on the top right there are two options: "add book/author" and "(some html is ok)". If you click "some html is ok" it will show you how you can do a number of different things. For creating a link, choose: link: < a href="http://www.goodreads.com">my link text< /a >
(I put in some extra spaces so it will show up, but you can copy and paste the code from the "some html is ok.") Then, put the link of whatever you want in the quotation marks and where it says "my link text," you can write what you want.

message 14: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Thanks for the elaborate explanation Jenna. You'd say I should be able to succeed at it now :-)

message 15: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "Thanks for the elaborate explanation Jenna. You'd say I should be able to succeed at it now :-)"

I'm sure you will be able to do it now. :)

message 16: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Ah Dani, I needed the same technical support - yes, I felt dumb as well - and Jenna also came to the rescue!!

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Beyond Redemption for #8 or for something I haven't suggested before to you

The Aeronaut's Windlass

or one of my current reads which has been very good 70% through

An Ember in the Ashes

message 18: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Aristea wrote: "Ah Dani, I needed the same technical support - yes, I felt dumb as well - and Jenna also came to the rescue!!"

Jenna is definitely the group member of the month ;-)

message 19: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments So which recommendation are you going to read, Jenna?

message 20: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "Aristea wrote: "Ah Dani, I needed the same technical support - yes, I felt dumb as well - and Jenna also came to the rescue!!"

Jenna is definitely the group member of the month ;-)"

YES! <3

Dani wrote: "So which recommendation are you going to read, Jenna?"

I think I might read The Lions of Al-Rassan, recommended by Chris. All of the recommendations were good and I want to get to them all, but I had two main reasons for reading this book. 1. Guy Gavriel Kay has been an author I've always said I need to read but have never gotten around to it. 2. It's a stand-alone and I have way too many series on the go.

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1766 comments You forgot:

3. Because Chris is the best!

message 22: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Chris wrote: "You forgot:

3. Because Chris is the best!"

Of course :)

message 23: by Dani (last edited Aug 05, 2016 02:36AM) (new)

Dani | 577 comments That book sounds good. I wanted to add it to my tbr pile but it was already on there... :-/
Guess that proves I really do need to stop adding books to my tbr shelf...

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1766 comments Jenna ;)

Dani, I'd recommend that book to anyone that likes fantasy and/or historical fiction. While it's completely in a fantasy setting, it is based quite a bit on Medieval Spain and El Cid in particular. It doesn't at all feel like a history lesson, but he does take a lot from our history to set up his wordbuilding.

message 25: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Thanks a lot, Chris. Historical fiction and fantasy are my two favorite genres so that sounds promising enough. And the fact that it's a standalone is a major plus too!

message 26: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Aug 13, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

At 940 pages, Midnight Tides takes my #15 spot. Another 5* review

Buddy read with Scott.

message 27: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Another book finished, good for you. And nice that you gave Midnight Tides 5 stars. It makes me look forward to starting this series in Oct. all the more.

Btw, not that it matters much, but I can already see that you all will be working on your Bingo Challenge 2019, while I'm still on finishing this one..

message 28: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

For my #5 spot, A Crucible of Souls - 4*. review

Buddy read with many in the group. :)

message 29: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Go Jenna :-)

message 30: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "Go Jenna :-)"

Haha, this one was an easy read so it didn't take too long :)

message 31: by Dani (last edited Aug 13, 2016 02:51PM) (new)

Dani | 577 comments I myself finally had some reading time yesterday and today which I spent on my first challenge book (The Blade Itself), so I'm pleased.

Would you recommend this series? I've been on the fence about adding it to my tbr list (after all, it's not like I really need it..)
Never mind, Jenna, I just read your review and I'm not gonna add it for now I think.

message 32: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "I myself finally had some reading time yesterday and today which I spent on my first challenge book (The Blade Itself), so I'm pleased.

Would you recommend this series? I've been on the fence abou..."

How are you liking The Blade Itself? I'm having a hard time getting into it so I keep putting it down.

message 33: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Sep 26, 2016 05:58PM) (new)

#7 - The Blade Itself 2* for a book with an anti-hero.
#6 - Veil of the Deserters 4* for a book in a series I've already started. Sadly was not a buddy read, but so far it's a fun series so I would recommend trying Scourge of the Betrayer.

message 34: by Dani (last edited Aug 28, 2016 06:49AM) (new)

Dani | 577 comments Congrats, Jenna. Tazmanian devil you :-)

Scourge of the Betrayer is definitely on my radar; hopefully I will get to read it next year.. but the wishlist for next year is pretty long so I'll have to wait and see.

Meanwhile I (finally) finished The Blade Itself a moment ago. I liked it a great deal and will continue with Before They Are Hanged as one of my September reads.
I will put some comments on the appropriate thread today.

message 35: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "Congrats, Jenna. Tazmanian devil you :-)

Scourge of the Betrayer is definitely on my radar; hopefully I will get to read it next year.. but the wishlist for next year is pretty long so I'll have t..."

Nice! I know, everytime someone recommends me a book now, I feel bad because I know I won't be able to get to it for at least 6 months.

message 36: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3585 comments Mod
Glad to see you enjoyed Veil Jenna. Let me know at some point if you are free to read the last one. I know your buddy read schedule is tight. Maybe December? I don't know if I can hold out until next year to read the final book. Jeff is so great. I write for a book blog with a group of friends and he tweeted my post about his series!

message 37: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "Glad to see you enjoyed Veil Jenna. Let me know at some point if you are free to read the last one. I know your buddy read schedule is tight. Maybe December? I don't know if I can hold out until ne..."

December will probably be good! And yes, Jeff is very friendly with his fans. :)

message 38: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Awesome. I'll tentatively put it on my tracker and touch base with you in November on if you can do a buddy read in December.

message 39: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "Awesome. I'll tentatively put it on my tracker and touch base with you in November on if you can do a buddy read in December."

I can make a discussion folder :)

message 40: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Sep 06, 2016 08:54PM) (new)

#10 - The Dragon's Path 4* - an author I have not read before. Buddy read with a lot of you great folks in the group.

#12 - Stormdancer 3* - a book from a sub-genre I don't normally read - Steampunk.

message 41: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

You are doing so well Jenna and well on your way to having your first two lines.

message 42: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "You are doing so well Jenna and well on your way to having your first two lines."

Thanks! Soon I'm going to have to be more purposeful about which books I read so I can fill in some of the spaces.

message 43: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jan 17, 2017 06:09AM) (new)

#2 - a debut novel, back in 2004 - Night of Knives 4*. Buddy read with Scott.

message 44: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

#21 - a book with a dragon in it - The Bonehunters 5*. Buddy read with Scott.

message 45: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1766 comments Jenna wrote: "#21 - a book with a dragon in it - The Bonehunters 5*. Buddy read with Scott."

Sweet :)

message 46: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I edited my challenge to include Neverwhere and The Night Circus. Both 5* reads and not buddy reads, but I'd love to talk about them if people read them in the future.

Also, my first bingo line is complete!

message 47: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Well done Jenna.

Neverwhere was brilliant. I never thought I would enjoy Neil Gaiman (I have no idea why), but one of my friends kept telling me I had to read him. So glad that I've read a couple now.

message 48: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "Well done Jenna.

Neverwhere was brilliant. I never thought I would enjoy Neil Gaiman (I have no idea why), but one of my friends kept telling me I had to read him. So glad that I've read a couple ..."

Thanks Angela and yeah, I've read a couple of Neil Gaiman books and enjoyed them a fair bit, but none as much as Neverwhere. To be fair, I haven't read some of his most famous works like American Gods or Coraline. Which ones have you read by him?

message 49: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

I've read American Gods which I loved. I really liked the idea of the gods he had in the book and I found Shadow captivating.

Also Anansi Boys which I still really enjoyed, but not as much as American Gods and Neverwhere.

I did try Stardust one other time, but I wasn't really in the right mood to read it, so hoping next month's Standalone read, I'll be in the right frame of mind and enjoy it.

message 50: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "I've read American Gods which I loved. I really liked the idea of the gods he had in the book and I found Shadow captivating.

Also Anansi Boys which I still really enjoyed, but not as much as Amer..."

I will have to try to get a copy of American Gods. I did read Stardust, but it wasn't as great as Neverwhere.

« previous 1