What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > Science Fiction – Female Protagonist – Hijacked Space Ship

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cornelius (new)

Cornelius | 1 comments I read the book in the 90’s as a paperback.

The book is set against the aftermath of a war between Earth/Humans and a Humanoid Race (they might be humans but a different faction after a migration – I can’t recall).

The plot involves the hijacking of a ship by religious fanatics. The ship itself is (I believe) a generation type ship that is used to explore and then place navigation buoys that allow faster than light travel or access to different star systems. The religious fanatics want the ship for the people and genetic material because they have been cursed by an alien race for an attack against them. The curse is genetic and does not allow any of the people who were in the sect at the time of the attack to have children. The fanatics use a spy to infiltrate and provide assistance for the takeover of the ship.

The alien race that cursed the religious fanatics is not a main part of the book but is referenced by having God-like abilities and not to be interfered with.

One of the main characters is a female and is an ex-member of the Earth/Human military living under an assumed identity because during the ending days of the war she led an attack that left many dead on the other side. She was ex-Navy or equivalent. I believe the attack was a bomber/torpedo attack against a system. The other side want her dead. She is sent as part of a delegation to the system where the seed ship is stationed to meet with the ex-enemy for reasons I can’t recall.

The other main character is a member of the humanoid ex-enemy. He is a member of the royal family of a very militaristic society and is in charge of the delegation to meet with the Earth/Human forces. He becomes suspicious of the female protagonist upon encountering her. During the meeting between the delegations the fanatics hijack the ship and the two main characters need to work together to survive and rescue the ship.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40097 comments Mod
Cornelius, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 3: by Rob (new)

Rob | 79 comments Could be Against A Dark Background by Iain M. Banks

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36026 comments Mod
Please note that Cornelius (OP) was last active on the site in October 2016.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40097 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Cornelius, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response. Moving to Abandoned.