What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Short story: adult literary (?) narrator and his wife/gf went into a bar and two locals sort of pick a fight...I think they objectify his wife

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Max (new)

Max Londberg | 1 comments This was a short story I read in 2013. I have a hunch it was published semi-recently, within the last decade.

All I can remember is it was first-person male narration (I'm pretty sure). He was driving through the countryside where he grew up, I think. It was all very nostalgic...I think the theme was the "west" was dying. Nothing new but the story was brilliant.

The only specific thing I remember was the narrator and his wife/gf went into a bar and two locals sort of pick a fight...I think they objectify his wife, and the narrator sort of has this internal battle about fighting them, decides not to fight them, and then leaves. Later in the car (I seem to remember him being in the car a lot), he feels ashamed...I think it was part of the theme of the end of this gritty, perhaps violent lifestyle. And though it's not his lifestyle nor does he want it to be his, he still feels a little nostalgic for it ...or something.

Thanks for any help!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40169 comments Mod
Max, are you still looking for this or did you find it?