The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Your pet peeves about reading

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seema M. (new)

Seema M. Fazil (brotherlyloveisbeautiful) | 25 comments Do u have pet peeves about reading?
My pet peeve about reading is when I get interrupted when I'm in a deep good book and when something that makes me nervous happens in the book. Also, whenever someone limits my reading time. What about u? What r your pet peeves about reading?

message 2: by James (new)

James | 2 comments I would say my pet peeve is when there is noise outside or others in the house are watching a very loud movie when I am reading. I like a quiet environment so I can get totally lost in what I am reading.

message 3: by Alia (new)

Alia When there is a part of an otherwise interesting book that is so boring I struggle to get past it.

message 4: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 117 comments That no one will pay me to read :0)
I hate it when I get to an engrossing part of the story and then I have to get off the train and go to work.

message 5: by Seema M. (new)

Seema M. Fazil (brotherlyloveisbeautiful) | 25 comments haha, I know what u mean :)

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom Krug (thomas_krug) | 22 comments Esther wrote: "That no one will pay me to read :0)
I hate it when I get to an engrossing part of the story and then I have to get off the train and go to work."

Same here! I get most of my reading done on the train. I'll add onto that by saying, it's really annoying when there's a snorer in the car.

T. K. Elliott (Tiffany) (t_k_elliott) When people want me to stop reading and do something else, like work. I mean, where do these people get off, expecting me to stop reading to do the stuff they pay me to do?

Also, cooking and ironing. Where are the cooking-and-ironing fairies, I ask you? Slackers, the lot of them. I'd complain to Head Office if I knew the address.

The peeve I used to have, in the old days when novels were made out of paper, was when I'd get caught short - the awful situation when you finish a book and you're away from the house so you can't just pick up another one.

Or going away on holiday:
a) Luggage allowances are are so miserly. Clothes wise, obviously all you need is one set of spare underwear and a toothbrush, but if you read big fantasy novels, luggage allowances are totally inadequate.
b) And how am I supposed to know what I'm going to feel like reading in a week's time? This is, of course, one reason why luggage allowances need to be bigger.

And speaking of travel, no, I do not believe that my book-reader, on airplane mode, is going to make the plane crash. Especially not if I'm in an exciting place.

message 8: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 117 comments T. K. Elliott wrote: "When people want me to stop reading and do something else, like work. I mean, where do these people get off, expecting me to stop reading to do the stuff they pay me to do?

Also, cooking and iron..."

I am not a big fan of e-readers but my mother is a teacher and loved to take us 6-week holidays travelling through Europe. I was normally allowed to take 4-6 books.
I just wish I could go back in time and give my younger self an e-reader.

message 9: by Dorottya (new)

Dorottya (dorottya_b) | 66 comments - when people judge my by the sole book I am reading at the moment (for example, saying I am dumb because I am reading a fluffier book)
- a really horrible set of compulsory readings in my country (not too many things that are new and would be interesting for teens)
- overused and badly done troped in books
- publishing companies doing crappy stuff (movie covers, huge stickers, spelling something on the cover in a bad way because this way it looks "nicer", stopping the publishing of a translated series after 1-2 books because of crappy sales and thus leaving the fans without their next books
- those people who tell you you have no life if you like to retreat and read some books at times
- when people think that just because I read books in other languages other than my native onem that I am a snob and I am doing it on purpose to flaunt my language knowledge

message 10: by Zainr (new)

Zainr  (Zainr) | 22 comments Pet peeves oh... I hate them so freaking much
1. Me when I'm reading my book and someone just keeps on disturbing me
2. When I'm reading and someone judges me on the book that I'm reading
3. When I am in the last few pages and someone just tells me to go finish my work first and then read.
What comes before reading?! Nothing that I can recall!

message 11: by Apurva (new)

Apurva Khadye My biggest pet peeves is that when I am reading book and someone comes to me with the reminder that I have life outside of the book.

message 12: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 231 comments When someone that doesn't read books interrupt you during a really good part asking you "What are you reading?"

message 13: by r8chh (new)

r8chh | 36 comments haha yesss I hate that. or when you're reading and they walk up and try to have a conversation with you like you weren't doing anything when in fact they ripped you from your book induced hallucination >.<

I hate that when something really interesting is going on and instead of reading through it my eyes skip down and I spoil it for myself lol

message 14: by r8chh (new)

r8chh | 36 comments ORRRR when you talk to someone about a book you're reading and they've read it and they're like "OH I LOVED/HATED WHEN *spoiler*"

message 15: by Seema M. (new)

Seema M. Fazil (brotherlyloveisbeautiful) | 25 comments _dropaheart wrote: "ORRRR when you talk to someone about a book you're reading and they've read it and they're like "OH I LOVED/HATED WHEN *spoiler*""

Oh I would so damn hate that! :p

message 16: by Esther (last edited Sep 06, 2016 06:02AM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 117 comments _dropaheart wrote: "haha yesss I hate that. or when you're reading and they walk up and try to have a conversation with you like you weren't doing anything when in fact they ripped you from your book induced hallucina..."

I have an adjunct to that:
People who interrupt your reading, then seem to have finished what they have to say but just as you return to your reading make another comment, repeatedly. They carry on this stop-start conversation for the next 5-10 mins until you give up and put your book down at which point they fall totally silent and ignore your existence!

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (age1213) | 20 comments Esther wrote: "_dropaheart wrote: "haha yesss I hate that. or when you're reading and they walk up and try to have a conversation with you like you weren't doing anything when in fact they ripped you from your bo..."

Yessss. This! When I have a book open and I'm reading, please take the social cue to NOT talk to me.

message 18: by Groovy (last edited Oct 20, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Groovy Lee | 428 comments Oh my goodness, I agree:

I hate it when I try to read through it but my eyes skip right down and spoil it. I have to keep warning myself, "Don't do it. Don't do it!"

I also hate it when I have to push myself to read a book I find very boring. I'm going to have to learn to acquire the DNF trait.

message 19: by Janell (new)

Janell Michaels (janellmichaels) | 7 comments Groovy wrote: "I also hate it when I have to push myself to read a book I find very boring."

I was just talking about this! I do DNF books, but more often I'll stop a read that isn't grabbing me and try coming back to it another time. I'm always afraid I'll DNF a book that I might have liked if I'd been in a different mood that week or something.

message 20: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 428 comments Janell, I'm laughing because it seems you found something about the book that you liked to at least give it another try. The ones I get, I just want to throw them up against the wall. No second chances. That's how bad they are:)

message 21: by Janell (new)

Janell Michaels (janellmichaels) | 7 comments Groovy wrote: "Janell, I'm laughing because it seems you found something about the book that you liked to at least give it another try. "

Not so much! It's more that I've started a book with tons of positive reviews and just groan at how bad/boring it is. Then I'm wondering if it's just my mood that week, or if I'm dancing to a different drum. LOL

katelyn &#x1f497;☁️&#x1f353; (k_rosetta) | 3 comments One word: spoilers or even worse: spoilers without warnings

message 23: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 428 comments Janell wrote: "Groovy wrote: "Janell, I'm laughing because it seems you found something about the book that you liked to at least give it another try. "

Not so much! It's more that I've started a book with tons ..."

One word of caution: sometimes all of those glowing reviews are from friends and family or paid. You can always tell:)

message 24: by John (new)

John Hurlock | 4 comments I hate it when I start a book and it's crap. I have a hard time walking away from books, I've read some high quality tripe in my day simply because once I start, I have to finish.

I hate it when I start a book and it's amazing. I hate showing up to PT in the mornings having not slept because I couldn't put a book down.

Lastly, I hate it when people see me reading a book and want to have a conversation on the book I'm reading... I'll play the social game and answer the questions all the while chanting in my head "Go away and let me read, go away and let me read"

message 25: by David (new)

David Black John wrote: "I hate it when I start a book and it's crap. I have a hard time walking away from books, I've read some high quality tripe in my day simply because once I start, I have to finish.

I hate it when I..."

John--I used to be like you in that I couldn't abandon a book mid-stream. If I started it, I felt like I HAD to finish it. Somewhere along the way, I realized that was a waste of time that could be spent reading something better. Maybe it's just that I am getting older and realize that I'll never be able to read everything that I want to!

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5253 comments I hate, "I know you're reading, but..." If you can see I'm reading, why are you still trying to talk to me? And it's never anything important.

message 27: by BlakeS (new)

BlakeS | 4 comments I'm somebody who has to look up every word I don't know, so I have my dictionary on my phone always with me. I've learnt a lot of knowledge from dictionaries. HOWEVER...

There have been times I read a paragraph, or even a sentence, with three of four words I don't know, particularly with non-.fiction. But I force myself to look them up. But I have yelled out loud, "What are you on about Proust?!"

message 28: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 428 comments I used to be guilty of that, too. If a book was terrible, I'd still try and read it to the end. That was when I was young--er and had the mental strength. Now, if the story is crap, and I just can't get into it, I'll flip forward through the chapters a few times, read a paragraph, then just let it go. I just can't care anymore.