Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Raising Steam (Discworld, #40, Moist von Lipwig, #3)
This topic is about Raising Steam
Raising Steam, by Terry Pratchett

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J Austill | 664 comments This is the 40th, and penultimate, book in the Discworld series. Though, there are actually 43 books in the series (by my count), as there are two Between the Numbers books (both are children's books).

One of the weakest books in the series, and definitely not were to start. This one continues the Industrial Development theme of the later books. In this case, it is the development of the train lines. What I do appreciate was that Sir Terry must have had a lot of fun researching trains for this book and his love of these early machines really shows. What is a bit missing is the jokes. The social commentary falls a bit short in this one as well.

But still worth reading to complete the series.

message 2: by Zaz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 2983 comments I'm not fond at all of his industrial books. This one wasn't boring but not really interesting either.
His last books have a dark tone that I don't enjoy, I preferred when he worked on society problems through humor.

I've one book left to complete Discworld novels (not the side stuff that I mostly didn't read), but I'm not eager to read it :(

message 3: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J Austill | 664 comments Is the last one The Shepherd's Crown? because that one was much better than either Snuff or Raising Steam (even though he didn't have the chance to polish it before passing).

message 4: by Zaz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 2983 comments Yes. It's nice to know you enjoyed it more than the others :)

message 5: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J Austill | 664 comments Did you read Where's My Cow? and The World of Poo ?

My daughter just loves Where's My Cow?

message 6: by Zaz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 2983 comments Not for the moment, I'm not sure they translated them (I've the French editions for Discworld so I don't want some books in English). I saw the journal linked to Raising Steam at the bookstore but I don't remember seeing the 2 others.