Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Closing Discussions?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kamryn (new)

Kamryn Koble (kamrynkoble) | 22 comments Is there a way to "close" a discussion? I'm constantly hunting for tasks that need done that haven't already been tackled by another librarian. Is there a way to close discussions when the problem has been fixed? If not, could that be something to consider in the future to better reach what needs to be changed?

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26632 comments Librarians are already supposed to post 'done' or equivalent when they've finished a task.

Sometimes you get caught up doing something and sometimes people don't understand what they should be doing *sigh*

message 3: by lethe (last edited Jul 26, 2016 12:24AM) (new)

lethe | 14571 comments I think Kamryn means something that's visible in the list, like closing threads (which rivka can do when the thread is not appropriate for the group, but which would be too much work to do with every thread), or putting 'SOLVED' in the title, which only the OP can do.

In other words, I don't think it's feasible. The only way to find out if a thread's been dealt with, is to open it and see.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45034 comments Mod
lethe wrote: "which rivka can do when the thread is not appropriate for the group, but which would be too much work to do with every thread"

I also hate to close a thread for no reason that might still have a followup question, or just a simple exchange of thanks.

message 5: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5036 comments Could threads be set to close after a certain amount of time with no response? I'm thinking months or years here. Even so, that wouldn't help with those Librarian threads that perk up sometimes years after the last posting because something has changed or an issue has reoccurred.

message 6: by Kamryn (new)

Kamryn Koble (kamrynkoble) | 22 comments It's just difficult to tell what actually needs done without clicking through three hundred threads. Oh well.

message 7: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5036 comments I'll be honest, I use the red (# new) and then check the date/time. If it's older than the last time I was logged in, I leave it. Threads I've been involved in will/should be in my notifications tab if anyone has responded to them.

Using this sorted by last activity can help too.

message 8: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments I look at the number of posts: One, it's still an open question. Two or three, it's probably a question + done (or question + done + thank you) and likely can be skipped. More than 3 there's either some discussion going on worth a peep (I might learn something) or there's more than one request in there, and still worth a peep.

Also I use that link Emy posted pretty often.

But if you're just looking for tasks to do, the new "Projects" folder is full of them, and most of them are great practice material for new librarians.

message 9: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 26, 2016 08:14AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7025 comments Krazykiwi wrote: "I look at the number of posts: One, it's still an open question. Two or three, it's probably a question + done (or question + done + thank you) and likely can be skipped. More than 3 there's either..."

This is what I do, too (not that I am especially active in responding to requests). And the Mark All Read works mostly, so that at least threads with new posts older than when I last checked no longer appear on the Unread page.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7025 comments Krazykiwi wrote: "the new "Projects" folder is full of them, and most of them are great practice material for new librarians. ."

Yes, please! I learned so much at first just correcting edition/publisher information in titles. In the beginning I only corrected titles, then I saw other things that needed doing. I just built on my knowledge/experience one field at a time almost. But there are other projects, just dive in!

message 11: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14571 comments Krazykiwi wrote: "But if you're just looking for tasks to do, the new "Projects" folder is full of them, and most of them are great practice material for new librarians."

+2

Plus I also look at the number of posts in a thread, same as Krazykiwi and Elizabeth.