Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Similar to question 4, but have you all read Jane Eyre? If you haven't, did it make those parts of the book confusing? Or did the author give enough summary to make it understood? I personally LOVE Jane Eyre, but never felt bad for Mrs. Rochester. I was happy she died in the fire so Jane and Mr. Rochester could hook up. So this (Museum) made me think a little bit more about that. Your thoughts? (the one page number I saved about this was 245. Throw out some more pages if you go back and find them).

And if someone want to pick Jane Eyre for this club, I would second it!

message 2: by Carol (last edited Jul 24, 2016 07:23PM) (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
We read Jane Eyre in my book club several years ago, and I rented the shortest version of the movie I could find of Jane Eyre, and found one with Orson Welles, and it really brought our reading to life. We had some very fun discussions and compared the movie with the book. I had been struggling a little with the reading, but after seeing the movie, it put it all together for me, and I was able to finish and understand the book. Chelsea, if my memory serves me well, I think you and Brian came to that one. That was fun!!!

I'd read it again if you all would like to give it a go. I know Ruth is an amazing Historical fiction reader. She could probably quote it for us start to end. AMAZING!!!

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments This is prob one I'd pass on, please go for it if everyone wants to read.

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Have you read it before Pam?

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments No, but there is only one type of book I find difficult to read and it's the British style, turn of the century, Shakespeare-ish type of book (don't know how else to describe) - my best friend loves these books and I've tried to read in the past at her suggestion - totally frustrating, for me, difficult to follow, that's my stumbling block :(

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I put some comments on this subject under the "wolfman" question before I saw this question, Chelsea, but as I said, I thought this was the greatest idea in the book. I've read Jane Eyre a couple of times and would read it again for sure. I think I'd have a new perspective after reading "Museum".
By the way - I've heard that most people who like 19th century English fiction (and I get that you don't Pam! My mother's the same way. She always says she won't read anything with a vicar in it. :) ) have a strong preference for either Austen or the Brontes. I like Jane Eyre ok. Hate Wuthering Heights. Love, love, love all of Austen's books. Anyone else have a preference?

message 7: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Totally get you Pam! I agree it's not the easiest to read. Good thing there are a bajillion movies that you could watch instead!

Cindy, I have only read Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice of those two authors. But I'm not a huge Austen fan. I don't even care for the movies that much. Jane just was an amazing love story that I just adored!

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Interesting Chelsea!