Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
3. Why does Coralie keep Maureen in the dark about her night swims and her father’s sexual exploitation? Would Maureen have been able to protect Coralie if she had known?

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments I'd be embarrassed if I were her. I think most girls wouldn't talk in that scenario. Plus what good would it have done? wasn't it the Professor that splashed the acid on Maureen's body? He obviously has no morals against violence, and would have become more upset if Maureen tried to stop him. I don't think Coralie could see a way to fix it or make it stop, so she just stuffed it down inside her and tried to forget about it.

message 3: by Carol (last edited Jul 24, 2016 07:39PM) (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
I probably didn't "think" deep enough through this section. I found myself enchanted by the night swims and didn't until much much later put it in perspective as her father's sexual exploitation. So as I read it, Maureen was a protective character but I didn't see Coralie as being sexual exploited.

With Coralie's deformity, when I read of her the first time, I thought to myself, I bet she is beautiful. Then I thought that her father was able to take something that was very unfortunate and made her into something that was beautiful. Interesting perspective.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments As I read about Coralie's night swims I thought about my daughter who swam competitively from age 8 through high school. Her practices were grueling and by the time she was ten her coaches were challenging the kids to swim first a 25, then later a 50 without taking a breath. (If anyone will be watching the Olympics, watch the swimmers breathe - no good swimmer will take a single breath in a 50 race, if they do they almost never win.) you can tell a lot about how a swimmer is feeling by how often they breathe.

I viewed Sardie as a quirky, shrewd business man who loved and wanted to protect his daughter until the 'night dancing'. What a sicko. I agree w Chelsea, Coralie was embarrassed and didn't feel like she could tell anyone what was happening. I don't think there was anything Maureen could do to protect her. They both needed Sardie for food and shelter.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I never did understand exactly what Sardie was trying to accomplish with the night swims. It almost seemed sadistic. (Not as sadistic as the peep shows though. What a horrifying thing. Made a little more sense when we found out he wasn't her father. She was always just a commodity to him.) The idea that he would be able to create this mermaid creature and everyone would equate it with the strange sightings - it just seemed so far-fetched. I think it showed how crazy he was.

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments What?!! Sardie wasn't her father?? How did I miss that? I think u skimmed too much! So, Maureen was prob her mother, do we know who her father was?? I'm dying to know...!

message 7: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments First off, I read the question as the night swims and sexual exploitation being synonymous. Are some of you thinking about her river swims? I felt she liked the river swims, and Sardie made her do that to practice her breathing capacity so she wouldn't need as much oxygen in the tank.

And yes Pam, when she's locked up she reads his journal and finds she was left under his porch as a baby. page 319. I don't think Maureen was her actual mother, just in the sense of her caring for her all those years. Did you all think differently?

But I must say, when she first read the journal and learned the lie about her "mother" not coming over on the boat, I had inclinations that Sardie was also lying about being her dad.