Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
How does Raymond Morris, known as the Wolfman, change Coralie’s perception of her father and their circumscribed world? What parallels does Coralie find between her own life and those of the characters in Jane Eyre?

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I think the main idea from this book that will stay with me was that Raymond (and later Coralie) read Jane Eyre and identified with crazy Mrs. Rochester! I never would have come up with this, but it shows how outside of mainstream society they were. And again - there is the fire theme. Mrs. Rochester sets fires to try to free herself from her prison. She would rather burn to death than continue to remain a captive - and Raymond and Coralie understand this completely. Makes me wonder if Bronte had any sympathy for Mrs Rochester. I don't remember any, but I'll have to re-read Jane Eyre and see.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
I've only read Jane Eyre once, and it was quite a while ago. I certainly don't remember any fire. These have been very interesting comments ladies. The beauty of book clubs.

If you gals are game, I'd be happy to read it again as a Book Club pick. Want to keep Pam in mind even with your note.

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Yes, since Coralie and the Wolfman are the misfits and practically locked up themselves, I can definitely see how they related to Mrs. Rochester.