J.D. Robb discussion

Hot Target (Troubleshooters, #8)
This topic is about Hot Target
Archive - 2017 Group Series Read > Hot Target by Suzanne Brockmann (Troubleshooters #8) - August 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Aug 30, 2016 07:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13628 comments Mod
Like most men of action, Navy SEAL Chief Cosmo Richter never learned how to take a vacation. So when he finds himself facing a month’s leave, he offers his services to Troubleshooters Incorporated. Founded by a former SEAL, the private-sector security firm is a major player in the ongoing war against terrorism, known for carrying out covert missions too volatile for official U.S. military action. But the first case Richter takes on is anything but under the radar.

High-profile maverick movie producer Jane Mercedes Chadwick hasn’t quite completed her newest film, but she’s already courting controversy. The World War II epic frankly portrays the homosexuality of a real-life hero–and the storm of advance media buzz surrounding it has drawn the fury of extremist groups. But despite a relentless campaign of angry E-mails, phone calls, and smear tactics, Chadwick won’t be pressured into abandoning the project. Then the harassment turns to death threats.

While the FBI appears on the scene, nervous Hollywood associates call in Troubleshooters, and now Chadwick has an army of round-the-clock bodyguards, whether she likes it or not. And she definitely doesn’t. But her stubbornness doesn’t make FBI agent Jules Cassidy’s job any easier. The fiercely independent filmmaker presents yet another emotional obstacle that Cassidy doesn’t need–he’s already in the midst of a personal tug-of-war with his ex-lover, while fighting a growing attraction to Chadwick’s brother.

Determined to succeed–and survive–on her own terms, Chadwick will face off with enemies and allies alike. But she doesn’t count on the bond she forms with the quiet, capable Cosmo Richter. Yet even as their feelings bring them closer, the noose of deadly terror all around them draws tighter. And when all hell erupts, desire and desperate choices will collide on a killing ground that may trap them both in the crossfire.

Character List
(view spoiler)

Discussion Question #1
Discussion Question #2
Discussion Question #3

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments can't wait to start this one. it is all ready to be downloaded and will start on the first.

I love Cosmo! He's my most favorite of SEAL Team Sixteen (with WildCard close behind) and his story is steamy!

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10496 comments Mod
Looking forward to this one! This is such an awesome series...I've loved every single one of them thus far.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 726 comments Oh, I've got to get on the library website today and order this one!

I think you'll love this one, Charlene.

Charlene wrote: "Oh, I've got to get on the library website today and order this one!"

I've done that already...I'm next in line. :)

Who else is joining the discussion this month?

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments Will start this one today at some point

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 524 comments just got from the library and started reading

That's great Susan and Sheri! Hope you like Cosmo:)

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments love Cosmo, been waiting for his story

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 726 comments Is this an 8th or 15th spoiler zone/discussion time?

I will leave that up to the will of the group.

Maggie | 1485 comments I will hopefully be joining in.

Good to see you here, Maggie!

Robin (robinmy) | 930 comments I'm hoping to read this one over the weekend.

Perfect! Once at least three people have finished reading, I'll start posting discussion topics.

I'm still waiting on this book from the library. I'm next in line so it should be soon.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments I started this one earlier today

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 726 comments I finished this one late in the night. I didn't like Cosmo the best but I did like the WWII story and filming part of the story, and Jules' appearance without his trusty partner Alyssa.

My copy of this hardcover from the library had a short story about Alyssa out on assignment with Sam at home with his daughter. It was a very intense short story and gave a different insight into the teams.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments Just finished this one and as always enjoyed it. I have to say it wasn't one of my favorites but enjoyed the story.

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 524 comments finished and liked this on very much. I am so sad for Jules whish he meets some nice man soon. Was horrified that (view spoiler)

I've started Hot Target.

Hope you enjoy!

Susan wrote: "finished and liked this on very much. I am so sad for Jules whish he meets some nice man soon. Was horrified that [spoilers removed]"

Oh, that was awful.

Robin (robinmy) | 930 comments Finished this one last night. Loved it.

Are we ready to start discussing?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 726 comments Yes, I'm ready to start with the questions. Eager to hear others' opinions and insights, as usual :)

I'm out of town right now and will post questions tomorrow. In the meantime, feel free to openly discuss as you will.

I will start by saying I loved this book! Brockmann's characters are alway so "intimate" ...in that I always feel like I "know" every character - they have such depth, such emotion - just so "real". I fell in love with Cosmos & Jane. But I think Jules/Robin/Adam came close to stealing the show for me. I just wanted to wrap Jules up in my arms & hug him.

Maggie | 1485 comments l love Jules and Robin!!!

Robin (robinmy) | 930 comments I agree, Sandra. Brockmann knows how to write a good character. I feel like I know them when I read her books. Jules is a favorite for me. I can't wait to read more about him.

I think Brockmann excels at characterizations & multiple plotlines. It doesn't take long for her characters to stir up my emotions & make me care about them. And I love the way she intricately weaves multiple plotlines. Often, as many as 3 different plots will be playing out, but she does her magic & weaves them together until I'm hooked on each one & anxiously following them through to the end. She switches from one to another seamlessly - no interruption in the story, just a change in focus from one to the another. I've said before that when I finish one of these books, I feel like I got more than my money's worth. Just like in HT with getting the main story of Cosmos & Jane, but then also getting a side story involving Jules/Adam/Robin and through the making of the movie with Hal & Jack, we also get their story. Just really good awesome writing.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 726 comments You said it well, Sandra. Love the weaving of story lines and characters intersecting in each of her books so far.

We've touched on this somewhat but let's discuss the issue directly.

While this is Cosmo and Jane's story, it's just as much a Jules/Adam/Robin one. Which did you find more compelling and why?

Jules/Adam/Robin - It's rare that I don't zero in on the main couple the most. And I do love Cosmo & Jane's story. But, in this book, I fell the hardest for Jules & the tragedy waiting to happen that was Jules/Adam/Robin. This threesome is the "perfect storm" coming together. Brilliant writing! Jules is such a good man - sexy, strong, dependable, always putting others first, and yet his vulnerable side is exposed in this story & it tugged at my heart strings. When Adam shows up, I just knew he was going to exploit Jules past feelings by making him hope again - and I wanted to scream at Jules not to buy into it. When I realized that Jules hoped for more from Robin, I prayed Robin would see the light & be the man Jules needed. And when Adam pursued Robin - I knew Jules was going to get his heart broken again. The story playing out between this threesome is compelling, emotional, & tragic - even as a side character, Jules earned my respect, sympathy, & heart.

This was my first m/m romance and I was unprepared for how emotionally connected I became. I fell for Jules, felt his pain, anguish and heartbreak. Brockmann was genius in first presenting him as a strong, fearless agent with a wicked sense of humor and then throwing us off balance with his vulnerabilities. I was hooked.

I loved Cosmo as I'm just a sucker for those silent, broody types. He edged out Jules just a smidgen because I fell for him. Otherwise, the stories were equally compelling.

Brockmann's writing of the character Jules is nothing short of brilliant. It's like readers had a window to his soul. When the vulnerability came out, I was hooked.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 726 comments I am more invested in Jules' story than Cosmo's, for some reason. I found myself wondering whether Robin and/or Adam would turn up again. I think I read some of these books years ago, and Iam fairly certain that Jules appears again. I do like his character, and I liked his partnership with Alyssa, too.

It's interesting that when Jules feels in conflict - needs to work his emotions out - he calls Alyssa. It says so much about the trust & faith he places in her.

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments I enjoyed this book more the 2nd time around and it is mainly because of the Jules/Robin/Adam storyline.

I am thrilled that it was Cosmos and Jane's story but there was so much more angst and emotion with the three men.
Jules is one of my all-time favourite characters.
I wanted to pay Adam to hit the road and not come back and I wanted to grab Robin by the scruff of his neck, give him a shake and telll him to smarten up, deal with his feelings and get to rehab!

Both Adam and Robin were frustrating in this story. My heart bled for Jules.

At the time Brockmann wrote this story, she was a pioneer in creating a romance between men in a mainstream, romantic suspense series. She was accused of forwarding a personal agenda. Did you sense any of that in the story (personal views, political/religious agenda)? Do you believe most points of view were represented fairly?

message 45: by Wendy (last edited Aug 28, 2016 01:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments Jonetta wrote: "At the time Brockmann wrote this story, she was a pioneer in creating a romance between men in a mainstream, romantic suspense series. She was accused of forwarding a personal agenda. Did you sense..."

I didn't detect a personal agenda at all. And it wasn't until after I read Hot Target the first time that I discovered she has a gay son.
I thought it was very well done.

Robin (robinmy) | 930 comments I don't understand the accusations at all. I guess people read the foreward she wrote about her son, then read the story which contained a gay romance, and said she had an "agenda". It seemed like a straight-forward story to me. So, do other authors have an agenda when they write a hetero romance?

She wrote this in 2005, which doesn't seem that long ago but is light years in terms of attitudes towards the LGBTQ community. And, she was writing this under a major publisher.

The only thing I found surprising was my reaction. I'd never read a romance between men. What I loved about my reaction was how emotionally connected I was to Jules and Robin, rooting for their relationship. As much as I loved Cosmos, I ate up the scenes involving Jules/Robin/Adam.

The only agenda I experienced was the author's ability to write a compelling romance that happened to be between people of the same gender. I found her writing extraordinary.

Wendy (wendyblue1) | 157 comments Jonetta wrote: "She wrote this in 2005, which doesn't seem that long ago but is light years in terms of attitudes towards the LGBTQ community. And, she was writing this under a major publisher.

The only thing I ..."

I agree Jonetta

message 49: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 524 comments totally agree Jonetta. The author really sucked me in to the emotion's Jules was facing with seeing his x lover and then having very strong feelings for Robin. I knew Cosmos would get the girl in the end but was hoping Jules would become involved with Robin as well. Hopefully in the books to come we will get our reward for Jules

Jules certainly deserves one!

« previous 1