The Challenge Factory discussion

♦TCF Monopoly Archives♦ > TCF Monopoly Laura vs Maddison vs Laurence

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments

Roll Dice

Monopoly Rules

• You do not need to wait for the other player to finish reading before you take your next turn. As soon as you're done reading, go ahead and roll.
• Each property is represented by a shelf. For each grouping of shelves/properties you would read a certain amount of books from that shelf. Once you finish the amount of books you would then “Own” that shelf.
• If you land on an “owned” shelf you would have to read a certain amount of books above what the owner had to read.
• If one person “owns” all of the books in a group (think Mediterranean and Baltic) and another player lands on their properties they would be able to recommend at least one of the books that the player has to read.
Utilities – For the Electric Company – Read a book where the characters have electric chemistry. For Water Works – Read a book that makes you cry. Books have to be 150 pages or more.
• If a player lands on an “Owned” utility, then the owner will recommend a book with electric chemistry or that makes them cry.
Railroads – For Reading Railroad – Read whatever you want. For Pennsylvania Railroad – Read a book set in Pennsylvania. For B&O Railroad – Read a book that someone else thought stunk. For Short Line – Read a novella. Page minimum 150 for all but Short Line. 25 page minimum for the novella.
• If a player lands on an “owned” railroad, the owner will recommend a book for that specific railroad.
Chance and Community Chest – there are 12 cards for each. If a player lands on one of those spots they will roll the dice a second time and then would “pull” the corresponding card and do whatever it says on the card. Once a card is used, it will be out of play unless needed to finish the game. Books for this would need to be at least 150 pages.
Being in Jail – To get out of jail you would need to have one of the get out of jail free cards, roll doubles on one of your next three turns or read a book where a character is arrested or has been in jail. Books for this would need to be 150 pages or more.
Just Visiting – Read a novella of your choice, 50 page minimum
Free Parking – Read any book 100 pages or more
Go – Read any book of 200 pages or more
Luxury Tax/Income Tax – Read a book with a rich character, a really poor character or someone that works in a bank. 150 pages or more
• Each roll, you'll post your starting spot, the roll and your new spot on the board.
• When you finish your book you'll post the spot your on, book name, rating, when it was finished and a short review of the book. If you were supposed to read a book that had a specific element (water works utility, book that made you cry), then please mention that in the review.
• Re-reads are allowed.

Link to Frequently Asked Game Questions

message 2: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Property/Shelves

Mediterranean Avenue - Favorites Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Baltic Avenue - Fiction Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

Oriental Avenue - 2013 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Vermont Avenue - Wishlist Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Connecticut Avenue - Books I Own Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. Charles Place - Ebooks Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
States Avenue - Maybe Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Virginia Avenue - Book Club Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. James Place - Reviewed - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Tennessee Avenue - 2012 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
New York Avenue - Must Read Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Kentucky Avenue - 2011 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Indiana Avenue - 5 Stars - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Illinois Avenue - Re-Read Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Atlantic Avenue - 2010 Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Ventnor Avenue - Library Books - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Marvin Gardens - Recommended Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

Pacific Avenue - Stand Alone Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
North Carolina Avenue - Love Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Pennsylvania Avenue - Part of a Series Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

Park Place - Never Finished Shelf - Must read 3 book to own. Must read 5 books if the property is owned.
Boardwalk - DNF Shelf - Must read 3 book to own. Must read 5 books if the property is owned.

message 3: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Community Chest

2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it.
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

Chance

2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it.
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 4: by Maddie (last edited Apr 11, 2017 07:59PM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Tracking Properties
Mediterranean Avenue - Owned by Maddie
Baltic Avenue -

Oriental Avenue -
Vermont Avenue - Owned by Maddie
Connecticut Avenue - Owned by Laura

St. Charles Place -
States Avenue - Owned by Laura
Virginia Avenue -

St. James Place - Owned by Maddie
Tennessee Avenue - Owned by Maddie
New York Avenue - Owned by Maddie
If you land on the above 3, let me know because I need to recommend a book

Kentucky Avenue -
Indiana Avenue - Owned by Maddie
Illinois Avenue -

Atlantic Avenue - Owned by Laura
Ventnor Avenue - Owned by Maddie
Marvin Gardens-

Pacific Avenue -
North Carolina Avenue - Owned by Maddie
Pennsylvania Avenue - Owned by Laura

Park Place -
Boardwalk -

Reading Railroad- Owned by Laura
B&O Railroad- Owned by Maddie
Pennsylvania Railroad- Owned by Maddie
Short Line-

Water Works-
Electric Company- Owned by Maddie

message 5: by Maddie (last edited Apr 15, 2017 08:19PM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Cards Tracking
Community Chest
2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it.
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

Chance
2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it.
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 6: by Maddie (last edited Jul 29, 2016 01:24AM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Rolled 1+1=2
Start: Go
End: Community Chest (EVERY TIME I PLAY I NEVER LAND ON A PROPERTY FIRST ROLL!)
Chance roll: 2+1=3
Chance task: Holiday Fund - Read a holiday themed book.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Okay, let's see if I know how to do this haha I rolled the dice now.

Rolled: 3 + 6 = 9
End: Connecticut Avenue
Task: 1 book of the Books I Own Shelf.

Now, when I am finished with the book, what do I have to do? All that text is overhelming me haha but tomorrow I'll look at it more.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments I have a doubt. I'm currently reading a book in that shelf (Ready Player One), does it count or do I have to start another book from the beginning for it to count? I haven't finished it yet.

message 9: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Nope that counts :)

And I just set out my completion posts like this:
Place completed
Task
How it fits
Date read
Rating

Review

message 10: by Laura (last edited Jul 26, 2016 11:40PM) (new)

Laura | 30 comments Place completed: Connecticut Avenue
Task: 1 book of the Books I Own Shelf
Book: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Date read: 26/07/2016
Rating: 5 stars

I didn't know what to expect about the book. I had heard a lot of good reviews but I knew it had a lot of 80s pop culture in it and I wasn't even alive back then so I was a bit put off by that fact. But I was so wrong!

It's true that I didn't get most of the references about movies, song or videogames but that didn't affect my level of enjoyment. It was really nice to follow Wade's quest in finding the egg and I was really surprised with some of the plot twists. It was a really fun book to read.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Rolled: 3 + 1 = 4
Start: Connecticut Avenue
End: States Avenue
Task: 1 book of the Maybe Shelf

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments I'll be readin On the Fence On the Fence by Kasie West for that task.

message 13: by Laurence (new)

Laurence Bastien | 42 comments Rolled: 4+2=6
End: Oriental Avenue
Task: 1 book 2013 shelf

message 14: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Laura which book did you read for Connecticut?

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Maddison wrote: "Laura which book did you read for Connecticut?"

LOL I didn't write the name of the book anywhere. I read Ready Player One. I'm going to edit the post.

message 16: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Alright thanks.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Place completed: States Avenue
Task: 1 book of the Maybe Shelf
Book: On the Fence by Kasie West
Date read: 27/07/2016

It's true that the book is a little bit plain but I don't know if I was just in the mood or because it's summer or why but I loved it and I enjoyed it a lot. I don't normally "fall" for the boys in books, yet I was in love with Braden. I also liked Charlie and her brothers a lot. But even the secondary characters were fantastic.

It's a fun and easy read for the summer and it also made me a little sad at some points. Now I'm off to explore more books by Kasie West because I feel like reading more fun contemporary novels.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Rolled: 3 + 4 = 7
Start: States Avenue
End: Free Parking
Task: Read any book 100 pages or more

message 19: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Guys I'm really sorry, but for my first roll I actually landed on Community Chest rather than Chance, but I said I landed on Chance and used the Chance task and everything. I'll just swap back over and see if anything I've read since the start of this game can count for that task. Sorry for the mix-up!

message 20: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Alright well this is the only book I've read since the start of the game so I'm still good :p

message 21: by Laura (last edited Jul 29, 2016 08:32AM) (new)

Laura | 30 comments The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
Place completed: Free Parking
Task: Read any book 100 pages or more
How it fits: It has more than 100 pages.
Date read: 29/07/2016
Rating: 3 stars

I normally enjoy reading books about the Chinese culture because I find its customs and habits fascinating. I have also enjoyed this book but I believe its plot is lacking. It's a nice read but that's it.

The book is a mix of different stories told by 4 daughters and 4 mothers where we cna explore their relationship and the difference between the mothers (born in China) and the daughter (born in America. I have found some of the stories much more interesting than others but, all in all, it's a good book.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Rolled: 5 + 1 = 6
Start: Free Parking
End: Atlantic Avenue
Task: Read 2 books of the 2010 shelf

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Place: Atlantic Avenue
Task: Read 2 books of the 2010 shelf (1 of 2)
Book: Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study
Date read: 06/08/2016

This is certainly very different from Poison Study but I think I liked it even more. We continue to follow Yelena, as she goes to Sitia and learns how to control her magic powers.

In Sitia we get to know new and interesting characters such as Leif, Perl, Esau, Ferde, the Master Magicians, Cahil, and some more. I liked the plot of the book and I think it's well written and resolved.

It's a 5 star read because I couldn't stop reading it and I was really interested in the story and its characters.

message 24: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Card Completion
One Day You'll Know (Heartland, #6) by Lauren Brooke
Task: Read a holiday-themed book
How it fits: Centered around Thanksgiving and Christmas
Date read: 11/8/16
Rating: 4 stars

Review: Glad I've gotten around to reading this one. I haven't read one of these for a few weeks not, and it picked up just where it left off :) So awesome. I read this in about 2 hours, which is pretty crazy given the quite small font size. There was also finally quite a bit of romance, split between (view spoiler) And for once Amy wasn't completely selfish. I was really worried for Jack though! I might have even teared up. (view spoiler)

message 25: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Rolled 5+1=6
Start: Community Chest
End: Vermont Avenue
Task: Read 1 wishlist book

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok

Place completed: Atlantic Avenue
Task: Read 2 books of the 2010 shelf (2 of 2)
Date read: 14/08/2016

Kim and her mother have recently moved from Hong Kong to New York and her life in the new city isn't easy for them: they live in a horrible run-down building and have to work long hours in a fabric that exploits them. I like how we are able to see Kim grow and witness her struggle trying to fit in with the american girls and boys from school, trying to improve her marks and being successful.

I like how we get to see Kim grow in such a short book. In my opinion, the best of the book is seeing Kim's relationship with other charatcers: her best friend Annette, her mother, Matt and Curt and even with her evil aunt. All in all, Girl in Translation is a quick, easy and interesting read.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Rolled: 5 + 3 = 8
Start: Atlantic Avenue
End: Pennsylvania Avenue
Task: Read 2 books of the Part of a Series Shelf

message 28: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Man I really need to get a move on haha.

message 29: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments My current book counts though so that's good. Just had to get off my stupid Holiday card haha. That's a tricky one.

message 30: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Vermont Avenue Completion
The One (The Selection, #3) by Kiera Cass
Task: Read a book from the wishlist shelf
How it fits: Wishlist shelf
Date read: 18/8/16

Review: This one was a rather emotional ride, I'll say that. First of all (view spoiler) Secondly, I thought that (view spoiler) That must've been so awkward for America when (view spoiler) But legit, the ending was perfect. I mean, exactly the way to describe (view spoiler) And I loved Maxon's (view spoiler) They were seriously adorable. This book was seriously chock-full of stuffs! Can't wait for the next one, even though people say it's bad.

message 31: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Rolled 3+4=7
Start: Vermont Avenue (owned by me)
End: Pennsylvania Railroad
Task: Read a book set in Pennsylvania

Do I have your permission to skip this task? I can't read a Pennsylvania book :/

message 32: by Laura (last edited Aug 17, 2016 11:30PM) (new)

Laura | 30 comments Sure, you can skip this one, or maybe we could change the task because I won't read a book set in Pennsylvania if I fall on it either haha Whatever you prefer!

message 33: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Sure we can change the task :) To what? Whatever works.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments We could change it to read whatever we want, I don't have a lot of imagination lol

message 35: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments cool so I can count the first book I read after I rolled to get there? And then can I just go again from there as long as I use my books in read order? does that make sense?

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Place: Pennsylvania Avenue
Task: Read 2 books of the Part of a Series Shelf (1 of 2)
Book: The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2) by Rick Riordan
Date read: 15/09/2016

I really liked the first book with Jason, Piper and Leo so I was a bit disappointed at first to see that they weren't the main characters in this book and that it was told from the POV of Percy, Frank and Hazel. But this was only my first thought because I ended up loving Frank and Hazel as much as I loved Leo, Piper and Jason. I like Percy, but I'm a bit 'tired' of him and I'm glad that the new characters are getting also a lot of attention.

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Maddison wrote: "cool so I can count the first book I read after I rolled to get there? And then can I just go again from there as long as I use my books in read order? does that make sense?"

Sure! And I'm sorry it took me so long to reply, but I just saw it :(

message 38: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments That's fine :) ill update soon haha.

message 39: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Pennsylvania Railroad Completion
Flash Flood (Code Red, #1) by Chris Ryan
Task: Changed to read anything :p
How it fits: Anything
Date read: 23/8/16

Review: This was awesome! I didn't really have any expectations going in, but coming out, just woah! Definitely a book I would've loved when I was younger! Full of action, just awesome. Lots of different POVs, looking at the way character's paths cross, the results of some people's actions on others, different people's opinions on the same event, things like that. If I was Dan, I'd be disgusted having (view spoiler) I'd be freaking out! But I'm pleased that (view spoiler) And I'm surprised that (view spoiler) I'm reading the second book already and I'm halfway through. Just as good! I'm excited to read this series.

message 40: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Rolled 6+5=11
Start: Pennsylvania Railroad (owned by me)
End: Atlantic Avenue (owned by Laura)
Task: 4 2010 books

Oh gosh this could take me a while considering I don't often read old books. Hhhmmmm.

message 41: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments I had like 10 books to choose from since I read them all after Flash Flood, and none of them were on the 2010 shelf. Oh noes. Doesn't help you own it so it's doubled :p

message 42: by Laura (last edited Sep 30, 2016 02:16AM) (new)

Laura | 30 comments Pennsylvania Avenue Completion
Task: Read 2 books of the Part of a Series Shelf (2 of 2)
Book: The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4) by Maggie Stiefvater
Date read: 30/09/2016

I'm partly sad that everything has ended. The Raven King is a great book but, for me, wasn't a perfect ending (more on that later).

The book starts a bit slow but I think I liked it better than Blue Lily, Lily Blue (which was a bit slow-paced for me, if I remember correctly). It starts right where the other book had ended and it starts to get interesting right from the beginning. This book has a lot of character development and I liked to see how Gansey's and Blue's relationship evolved. I also wasn't expecting Ronan and Adam being gay and liking each other. I didn't see that coming AT ALL! I don't know how I feel about that, because I was rooting for Ronan and Blue (don't really know why). But I'm glad they found someone to be happy with, so I guess I liked that twist of the story.

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Rolled: 3 + 3 = 6
Start: Pennsylvania Avenue
End: Go!
Task: Read any book of 200 pages or more

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Go Completion Card

Task: Read any book of 200 pages or more
Book: Persuasion by Jane Austen
Date read: 01/10/2016

The main character in this book is Ana, whose family moves to Bath. Her sisters are mean and selfish and Ana is the kindest person in the world. We follow her as she goes to parties, concerts, dinners and meets suitable men.

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Rolled: 4 + 1 = 5
Start: Go!
End: Reading Railroad
Task: Read whatever you want

message 46: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Lucky you! Getting easy spots!

message 47: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments First Atlantic Avenue Book
The Last Vampire (The Last Vampire #1) by Christopher Pike
Task: Read a book from the 2010 shelf
How it fits: 2010 shelf
Date read: 3/10/16

Review: This is my second time reading this book, but it felt like the first. I haven't read it for aaaages, like probably 5-6 years. I think I enjoyed it more the first time. Alisa was incredibly selfish, and that's one thing I don't like in a main character, but then again, a main character always has flaws to me. In my eyes, there's always something wrong with every main character :p I also didn't like how she (view spoiler) Also hated how (view spoiler) I don't like how everything just fell into place perfectly. But then I've never really liked happy endings in books :p

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Reading Railroad Completion Card

Task: Read whatever you want
Book: Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo
Date read: 05/10/2016

I loved this book! I didn't really know anything about it before starting reading it and it's true that I was bit lost with some of the specific vocabulary that is used in the book at the beginning but once the story progressed I think I managed to understand almost everything.

I enjoyed reading from Alina's POV and I found her an interesting narrator and I also liked the other characters (specially Mal, Genya and the Darkling). The book was fast-paced and the plot was absorbing.

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura | 30 comments Rolled: 2+`1
Start: Reading Railroad
End: Vermont Avenue (owned by Maddie)
Task: Read 2 books from the Wishlist shelf

message 50: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3687 comments Second Atlantic Avenue Book
The Fallen (The Nine Lives of Chloe King #1) by Celia Thomson
Task: Read a book from the 2010 shelf
How it fits: 2010 shelf
Date read: 11/10/16

Review: Totally average :/ Didn't like this one much at all really. So typical, and predictable, but still alright. Just so weird how she (view spoiler)

« previous 1