Contemporary YA discussion

YA Books Made into Movies > Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Books into Movies

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1054 comments Mod

Adventure, Family, Fantasy

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them starring Eddie Redmayne debuts on November 18.

This a Harry Potter prequel set approximately 70 years before the Harry Potter story begins. It's loosely based on the encyclopedia like book with the same name written by J.K. Rowling and Newt Scamander (Pseudonym).

The main character is Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) as pre-eminent “magizoologist”, who visits New York on his journey to find and document magical creatures.

The film also start John Voight, Ezra Miller, Colin Farrell and many more

We have a new trailer and it's 2:26 long: https://youtu.be/YdgQj7xcDJo

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sold. Bring on a new era of magic.

I love hearing that Harry Potter music.

message 3: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 252 comments Mod
I actually cried when the first trailer was out and in the end we heard Hedwige's Theme. I LEGIT CRIED, I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE!
I'm ready to enter the magic world again! I did my waiting! 12 years! In Azkaban!

message 4: by Andrea (new)

We have a sequel! It will be released November 16, 2018.

J.K Rowling made her screenwriting debut with Fantastic Beasts and will also write the next film.

message 5: by Andrea (new)

I did my waiting! 12 years! In Azkaban! ..."

Funny :)

message 6: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wyb1065) | 3 comments Looks good. I plan on seeing it.

message 7: by Natália (new)

I've read the actual "textbook" from the series and I liked it a lot. I loved the side comments from Harry, Ron and Hermione, and I loved that we got to know more about this fantastic world JK had created (at the time, I think we only had books 1-4 or 5 out). I love these little additions to the Harry Potter world and I'm amazed at how they took a kind of companion book and developed it into a story about this famous wizard, Newt Scamander. I CAN'T WAIT!

message 8: by Andrea (new)

It was announced today that NBCUniversal nabbed the exclusive rights for all films for the upcoming J. K. Rowling’s Wizarding World franchise beginning in July 2018. This gives NBCUniversal on-air and digital rights across its TV networks through April 2025.

The first film in the series, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, will be released on November 18. But wait there's more...

In addition to the Wizarding World agreement, NBCU will take the cable TV rights that Disney now holds to the eight Harry Potter films, which NBCU plans to offer on USA Network and Syfy.

The two networks will partner with Warner Bros. to show extended director’s cut versions of the first two Harry Potter films, a 2011 featurette When Harry Left Hogwarts, and 3D versions of the last two Potter films. And even more...

The deal also provides for “exclusive content and events” for Universal’s theme parks including the Wizarding World of Harry Potter attractions. They can include fan events, movie screenings and promotional activities tied to the Potter franchise and Fantastic Beasts film series. The companies plan to to collaborate on digital initiatives with J.K. Rowling’s Pottermore, which includes the author’s original writing.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen (KarenLovesYA) | 36 comments I can't wait for the movies! I'm so excited for a new series.

I have never heard of 'When Harry Left Hogwarts.' Has anyone seen it?

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Karen wrote: "I can't wait for the movies! I'm so excited for a new series.

I have never heard of 'When Harry Left Hogwarts.' Has anyone seen it?"

I know my nephews have seen it, but I haven't it. It is available on one of the home video releases of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II. I'm not sure if it's on both the DVD and Blu-Ray. You'll have to check the label.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them The Original Screenplay by J.K. Rowling Expected publication: November 19th 2016

J.K. Rowling's screenwriting debut is captured in this exciting hardcover edition of the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them screenplay.

When Magizoologist Newt Scamander arrives in New York, he intends his stay to be just a brief stopover. However, when his magical case is misplaced and some of Newt's fantastic beasts escape, it spells trouble for everyone…

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them marks the screenwriting debut of J.K. Rowling, author of the beloved and internationally bestselling Harry Potter books. Featuring a cast of remarkable characters, this is epic, adventure-packed storytelling at its very best.

Whether an existing fan or new to the wizarding world, this is a perfect addition to any reader's bookshelf.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen (KarenLovesYA) | 36 comments #TFW can't wait to add it to my bookshelf.

message 13: by Natália (new)

SO MANY HP GOODIES THIS YEAR,MY POTTERHEAD HEART CAN'T TAKE THIS! ❤

message 14: by Andrea (last edited Sep 28, 2016 10:54AM) (new)

We have a new trailer and it's awesome!!! And some additional fun stuff too.

https://youtu.be/Vso5o11LuGU

There will be a fan event streamed on Fantastic Beasts‘ Facebook page and select theaters around the world on October 13. Some Imax theaters will also be included in this special event.

The cast will conduct a live Q&A and show new footage from the film. Here's a message from the cast:

https://youtu.be/_r-sI8la5vU

I have no idea how many movies there will be with this new series, but why can't they release them ALL now?

What do you think?

message 15: by Natália (new)

AHHHHH, LOOK AT THIS TRAILER, I'M FREACKING OUT.
I NEED NOVEMBER TO BE HERE ALREADY!

I think it will be a trilogy, I've read it somewhere, but I'm not sure this is correct. 3 movies is more than I thought, YAY!

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Natália wrote: "AHHHHH, LOOK AT THIS TRAILER, I'M FREACKING OUT.
I NEED NOVEMBER TO BE HERE ALREADY!

I think it will be a trilogy, I've read it somewhere, but I'm not sure this is correct. 3 movies is more than..."

It was suppose to be a trilogy and now it's 5!!! JK Rowling just announced it today.

message 17: by Natália (new)

And we also had confirmation that Dumbledore will be on the second movie and that the series will probably show Grindewald's rise to power. WE'RE PROBABLY GETTING DUMBLEDORE X GRINDEWALD AT SOME POINT! I just bought my tickets to the premiere date, I'm so excited!

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Keep us posted after you watch the movie.

message 19: by Natália (new)

I watched it on the premiere and it was AMAZING. It was everything I was hoping for in the movie. Newt was so cute and such a enjoyable character to follow. His love for his creatures, the way he cared about them and his desire to help everyone. Also, I loved how they accentuated the differences between America's wizarding culture and Europe's. I kind of had the feeling of watching The Philosopher's Stone for the first time, because I had to learn new things about this universe I didn't know, since things were very different than we're used to and I enjoyed that.
AND ALL THE REFERENCES! There were so many little things reminding us of the original books&movies. The magic was back in the theaters once again, I'm so happy! I can't wait for the next movies!