J.D. Robb discussion

Midnight in Death (In Death, #7.5)
This topic is about Midnight in Death
In Death Buddy Reads 2016 - 2021 > Midnight In Death Buddy Read - August 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 108 (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10496 comments Mod
Midnight in Death is the first novella of the series. It picks up where Holiday ended and while it may be "short" in the number of pages, it's not short on the suspense or character relationship development. MID was included in the Anthology Silent Night, but can be purchased separately as an ebook or audio.

We will begin open discussions on August 8th.

Synopsis/Blurb:
The number-one New York Times bestselling In Death series explodes with intrigue, passion, and suspense. Now, Nora Roberts, writing as J.D. Robb, propels you into the darkest night of Lieutenant Eve Dallas's life—when a killer comes to call...

Eve's name has made a Christmas list, but it's not for being naughty or nice. It's for putting a serial killer behind bars. Now the escaped madman has her in his sights. With her husband, Roarke, at her side, Eve must stop the man from exacting his bloody vengeance—or die trying...

Time Line: December 25, 2058 This novella begins on Christmas Day, 2058 and ends on New Year's Day, with Roarke and Eve heading home to ring in 2059, as the celebration for the New Year begins.

Possible Spoiler Alert: Midnight In Death Map

Midnight Covers

Character List:
Eve Dallas
Roarke
Ryan Feeney
Nadine Furst
Leonardo
Ian McNab
Charlotte Mira
Delia Peabody
Lawrence Summerset
Jack Whitney
Galahad
Dickie Berenski
Morris

List of Pheripheral & Minor Characters:
(view spoiler)

Our first novella in this buddy read! Short but very, very good. I'll be starting this one around Aug. 1. As always, open discussions begin on the 8th.

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 824 comments I think I already have this on my Kindle and have read it once while away on vacation. I have no problem reading it again.

Michelle | 2385 comments Was so tempted to read it this month already. But I'll wait till closer to open discussion date.

Me too, Michelle! But - I'm trying to hold back...I really am trying to "savor" each book this time through. In the past, I think I've flown through them. Time to stop & smell the roses - & enjoy these books! lol

Michelle | 2385 comments I hear Sandra. The proof of it is that I still find something new after having read them so many time before

Exactly, Michelle! I do the same thing. I don't think I'll ever tire of rereading this series. Each book pulls me in again & again. :)

Michelle | 2385 comments I think that it helped that I try and read them like its the first time. Also helps that it takes us a while to get to the end so it has been a long time since we last read them. Lol

Jeanette (jenb_73) | 155 comments I agree with both of you! I got through about a third of the series before I stopped reading the first time around. Had to start over this time from the beginning. I don't have a lot of reading time so I'm slower to get through them but love to savor each one! I have skipped over the novellas though. Is that wrong? I will try to check out Midnight today and read along. I'm currently on Reunion In Death.

Phrynne | 315 comments This will be a first time read for me because previously I only read the main books. Can't wait!!!

Jeanette wrote: "I agree with both of you! I got through about a third of the series before I stopped reading the first time around. Had to start over this time from the beginning. I don't have a lot of reading tim..."

My recommendation is that you read the novellas along with the books - in order. They pick up where the previous books end & are well worth the read, imo.

Phrynne wrote: "This will be a first time read for me because previously I only read the main books. Can't wait!!!"

Yay Phrynne! So exciting to read these for the first time. This is the shortest novella of the series - some of the others are longer. But Midnight is well worth the read.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 524 comments have it all ready to start am really enjoying these books and love that this one starts where the other leaves off. Will we find out if Roarke got eve a xmass gift and what did she give peaboday oh I am dying to see if these get answered

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13628 comments Mod
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "My recommendation is that you read the novellas along with the books - in order. They pick up where the previous books end & are well worth the read, imo...."

Ditto. Some weren't hits for me but I don't regret reading them. And, if you check out the book lists, you'll see the links to the omnibus editions where you can get the novellas in bundles.

message 15: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine Tucker | 196 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Jeanette wrote: "I agree with both of you! I got through about a third of the series before I stopped reading the first time around. Had to start over this time from the beginning. I don't have a l..."

So true. They bridge some of the gaps, answer some of our unanswered questions; they are always a fun read.

Jeanette (jenb_73) | 155 comments Thanks ladies!! Just finished Reunion and have the download for Midnight on hold and I'm so ready!!

Few more days & we'll jump in! :)

Jeanette (jenb_73) | 155 comments Awesome!! I hope my download comes available soon. If not, I'll snag a hard copy from the library this weekend.

message 19: by Charlene (last edited Jul 28, 2016 08:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 726 comments This novella also is available in the anthology : THREE IN DEATH.

1. Interlude
2. Midnight
3.Haunted

I'm getting this from the public library.

Phrynne | 315 comments I bought it on kindle as two titles, Midnight and Interlude.

I plan to reread this one tomorrow. As I've said, it's short - but I think there's a lot packed into these few pages.

message 22: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine Tucker | 196 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I plan to reread this one tomorrow. As I've said, it's short - but I think there's a lot packed into these few pages."

I agree Sandra.

It's August 1st...Midnight In Death here I come - Again! lol
Everyone ready?

Penni | 813 comments I am :-)

Good to hear! I read Midnight again today during my lunch break...gotta love a good, short read! lol Still-I think there's a lot to discuss in this novella. Looking forward to it starting on the 8th. :)

Phrynne | 315 comments I read it last night. I don't usually like novellas (too short) but Robb could write a shopping list and I would give it five stars.

LOL Phrynne. She's always good for a 4 or 5 star read for me!

Chime in when you've read Midnight everyone. We'll chat openly on the 8th.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments started this morning should be done by lunch

:)

message 30: by Mara (new) - added it

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Listening to MIDNIGHT IN DEATH now.

message 31: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine Tucker | 196 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "LOL Phrynne. She's always good for a 4 or 5 star read for me!

Chime in when you've read Midnight everyone. We'll chat openly on the 8th."

I finished the re-listen of Midnight this morning.

message 32: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3245 comments This remains absolutely my favorite of the In Death novellas. Doing my re-listen now.

I love this one too, Dawn.

message 34: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine Tucker | 196 comments Dawn wrote: "This remains absolutely my favorite of the In Death novellas. Doing my re-listen now."

Agree!

Since Midnight and another novella, Interlude, were in the same box, I decided to re-listen to Interlude while I was there......:) After all, they are shorter. It's also very good Dawn.

Dawn wrote: "This remains absolutely my favorite of the In Death novellas. Doing my re-listen now."

It's one of my favorites, too, especially because it picks right up from where Holiday ended.

message 36: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3245 comments It is one of my favorite things about her novellas. Most give us a continuation from the book before that provides more info. Lol.

Interlude is in my top 3 as well, I also like Possession (I think that is the right one)

Ritual, Midnight & Possesion are my favs.

message 38: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3245 comments Taken was one of my faves as well.

2 days & we will begin!

This is now a Spoiler Zone. Feel free to discuss openly.

How did you like Midnight in Death, the first novella of the series? Did it work for you? Did it answer any questions you had left from Holiday in Death?

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments Midnight is my favorite out of all the Novella's. I love that it starts where Holiday ends.

Penni | 813 comments The novellas act like epilogues - so many of the in deaths just end so abruptly it's nice to get a bit more info.

message 44: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3245 comments Mine too Sheri. It has always been my favorite

message 45: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine Tucker | 196 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "How did you like Midnight in Death, the first novella of the series? Did it work for you? Did it answer any questions you had left from Holiday in Death?"

Sandra, Yes, it answered some unanswered questions and it went beyond. I loved that it showed us how much Mira means to Eve.

message 46: by Mara (new) - added it

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments It answered my question about Eve's Christmas present to Roarke.

message 47: by Sandra (last edited Aug 08, 2016 08:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

How do you feel about this case & the way it evolves around an escaped killer, David Palmer, that Eve has previously put in prison? Was it sufficiently developed in this short novella?

Even as a novella, some of the character relationships in MID are confirmed/developed/deepened in these few pages. What stands out to you & why?

message 49: by Mara (new) - added it

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments I think the novellas fill in questions from a previous book or books that weren't full explained in one of the full length books.

What are the Momentous Moments in MID for you? What will you remember most about this novella?

« previous 1 3