Support for Indie Authors discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Promotional Resources > Archived Discussion on Best advertising sites

Comments (showing 1-50 of 379) (379 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle Costa | 66 comments Can we start a thread to talk about what advertising sites are good? Like, worth spending money on? The only one I've had any significant success with is Bookbub. I feel like they used to work better, but recently, have not been as successful.

message 2: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 203 comments I've signed up for a whole whack of them recently. Only a few have run to this point, but I can provide the list and cost, if you're interested. To this point, I would say that Fussy Librarian, Manybooks, and Book Raid were the best.

message 3: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) | 2 comments Manybooks mass email system is broke. I am in a PayPal dispute right now with because they did not deliver on the email portion.

message 4: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle Costa | 66 comments Dylan: yeah, that would be great! Thank you!

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily Kirby | 15 comments http://discovering-indie.tumblr.com/ Will promote any indie work for free.

message 6: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 203 comments Annabelle wrote: "Dylan: yeah, that would be great! Thank you!"

Book Raid https://bookraid.com/ Free
Armadillo Ebooks http://www.armadilloebooks.com/ Free
Ebooks Bargain UK http://www.ebookbargainsuk.com/ $5GBP (Not worth it!)
Book of the Day www.bookoftheday.org Free
Book Scream www.bookscream.com $5 (not worth it!)
Best ebooks Free www.bestebooksfree.com Free
Ebook Lister www.ebooklister.net Free
Pretty Hot www.prettyhot.com Free
Indie Book Lounge www.indiebooklounge.com $4
Reading Deals www.readingdeals.com Free
Choosy Book Worm www.choosybookworm.com Free
Awesome Gang www.awesomegang.com Free
Spoiled Reader www.spoiledreader.com $6
Fussy Librarian www.thefussylibrarian.com $20
Free 99 Books www.free99books.com Free
Just Free and Bargain Books www.justfreeandbargainbooks.com Free
Free and Discounted Books www.freediscountedbooks.com $8
Discount Book Man www.discountbookman.com Free
OHFB www.ohfb.com Free
Ebooks Habit www.ebookshabit.com Free
Book Bongo www.bookbongo.com Free
Genre Pulse www.genrepulse.com $16
Online Book Club http://onlinebookclub.org/ $150
Price Dropped Books www.pricedroppedbooks.com $10
Ebook Soda www.ebooksoda.com $15
Book Goodies www.bookgoodies.com $10
My Book Place www.mybookplace.com Free
Free Books Hub www.freebookshub.com $10
Book Lover's Heaven www.bookloversheaven.com Free
People Reads www.peoplereads.com Free
Booktastic www.booktastic.com $5
Ebook Hounds www.ebookhounds.com $10
Ebook Stamp www.ebookstamp.com Free
Ebookasaurus www.ebooksasaurus Free
Just Kindle Books www.justkindlebooks.com $15
Bookzio www.bookzio.com Free
Book Gorilla www.bookgorilla.com $150

message 7: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle Costa | 66 comments Thanks! I appreciate the comments too. I am familiar with some of the sites, and I should add that while they can be free, that doesn't guarantee a promotion, and a guaranteed spot can be pricey. OHFB, for example, is "free" but you're unlikely to get a free spot, and a paid spot is 75 dollars.

message 8: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 203 comments Annabelle wrote: "Thanks! I appreciate the comments too. I am familiar with some of the sites, and I should add that while they can be free, that doesn't guarantee a promotion, and a guaranteed spot can be pricey. O..."

Yes, that's true. Book Raider is always free and I had good results with them, considering that it is free. Online Book Club and Book Gorilla have cheaper options but (especially with Book Gorilla) I didn't want to be 45th on their email list.

Oh, a couple more that I have on the side but didn't contact:

Riffle Books https://www.rifflebooks.com/advertise... $25 +
Discount Books Daily http://www.discountbooksdaily.com/adv... $10

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) | 157 comments Dylan wrote: "Annabelle wrote: "Dylan: yeah, that would be great! Thank you!"

Ebooks Bargain UK http://www.ebookbargain..."

thx!

message 10: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 711 comments Thanks for the list and your comments, Dylan :)

message 11: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 867 comments @Mr Dylan: Thanks so much, good sir! Much appreciated ^_^

Hugs,
Ann

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (SammyDogs) | 980 comments Dylan, Thank you very much for your generosity.

message 13: by Magnus (new)

Magnus Stanke (magnus_stanke) | 74 comments Dylan wrote:

Ebooks Bargain UK http://www.ebookbargain..."

wow - ditto, much obliged, Dylan. Cheers very much

message 14: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 203 comments No problem. I was just looking for the same list as Annabelle not too long ago, so I thought this might be helpful.

I noticed that ENT was off the list. Sorry, there's also ENT!

Also, the link for pretty hot is: www.pretty-hot.com. Sorry about that.

message 15: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 84 comments Great list! Here's a couple more I don't think were on there:

Book Barbarian (for fantasy/scifi):
http://bookbarbarian.com/

Readers in the Know: http://www.readersintheknow.com/home

Also:
Promotional Twitter Pages and Hashtags:
@4freeKindleBook
@Kindle_FREE
@TheIndieCollab
@Kindle_Promo
@TBRList
@KindleBookPulse
@BookYrNextRead

#BookPlugs
#FreeBookPromo
#FreeKindleBook
#RPBP
#TBRList (include genre)
#BYNR
#IndieBooksBeSeen
#IFNRTG

message 16: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 84 comments Oh, and also:
Freebooksy: https://www.freebooksy.com/

Bargainbooksy: https://www.bargainbooksy.com/

message 17: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (AuthorThomasEverson) | 456 comments Dylan wrote: "I noticed that ENT was off the list. Sorry, there's also ENT!"

I might be blind right now. I'm not seeing a link for ENT.

message 18: by E.P. (new)

E.P. | 84 comments Ereader News Today: http://ereadernewstoday.com/

message 19: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (AuthorThomasEverson) | 456 comments Thanks E.P.

message 20: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 203 comments There is also books butterfly: http://www.booksbutterfly.com/bookpro...

I thought they were a bit pricey but do guarantee X number of sales, depending on what package you choose. I've become weary of guarantees, though.

message 21: by Marie Silk (last edited Oct 07, 2016 08:36AM) (new)

Marie Silk | 711 comments Some here have already been listed, but feel free to check out these notes I made when promoting my book. I hope they save you some time and frustration, as some sites will only tell you that you have not met the requirements AFTER you have entered all of your book information. My list is not exhaustive (there may be some info missing like waiting periods, minimum requirements, and additional paid options). Note that MOST of these sites require a professional-looking book cover. Also, some of the prices below vary depending on genre. Good luck!

MY FAVORITES:

ENT: 90 day waiting period in between promos, must be on Amazon, at least 125 pages long, do not submit promo more than a month in advance, but submit at least a week in advance, $35

Ask David: sign up for membership to add unlimited books to their website, get 20 tweets from the Ask David Twitter account with about 52K followers, bonus 5 tweets for each new book added, $15 for 6-month membership, send out tweets on free promo day

Bestebooksfree: Free submission, 30-day waiting period between promos

OHFB: I liked this one in the past, but I can no longer find a free submission option. Did they do away with it? Requires 72 hours advance notice and 60 day waiting period in between promos

Armadillo: Maybe I just like the name of this one. I dunno. But it's a free site with no hassles.

Sweet Free Books: $7 for guaranteed submission, 60 day waiting period between promos

Addicted to ebooks: can only submit the day of your promo, Free

Kindle Book Promos: Free, at least 48 hours notice

Freebooks.com: Free

ROI UNKNOWN, BUT I TRY ANYWAY:

Kindle Book Review: $10 guaranteed submission (submit 48 hours in advance), or free non-guaranteed submission without book cover at least 7 days in advance

Ebook daily: still in beta, pay what you want (they suggest $20), 300 day waiting period in between promos

Ebook lister: Free, 30 day waiting period between promos

It's Write Now: Free submission

Reading Deals: $14.50 for guaranteed submission with promo code WELOVEAUTHORSGS expires 10/15/16, must have 5+ reviews with 4-star average rating, 60 day waiting period between promos, promo is tweeted to 110K followers and emailed to 35K readers. They also have a free, not guaranteed option.

Ignite Your Books: 99 cents to submit, must submit before Friday (I think their newsletter goes out Sunday)

Choosy bookworm: Free submission or $25, must submit at least 7 days in advance

HAVEN'T TRIED YET, BUT CURIOUS:

Bookbub...of course! $300-$400 for free promo in my genre.

Digital Book Today: at least 48 hours notice and 18+ reviews or $15 fee

Ebook hounds: requires 10+ reviews, $10

Read cheaply: $35

Booksends: $50

Fussy Librarian: $12

Ebook Soda: $15, 60 day waiting period between promos, submit at least 3 days in advance

message 22: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

C.B. Archer | 1404 comments Mod
Note: BookScream is free, not $5. You can donate $5 to help them grown, but that is not required.

message 23: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 285 comments Marie wrote: "Some here have already been listed, but feel free to check out these notes I made when promoting my book. I hope they save you some time and frustration, as some sites will only tell you that you h..."

My problem with advertising, besides the money needed for some of it, is that I look at lists like this, and my brain melts. Lol Seriously, I seem to have some kind of allergy when it comes to lists of places to advertise. I get fuzzy-eyed and can't decide what to do. Anyone else have this problem or is it just me? It's just me, isn't it? Lol

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (SammyDogs) | 980 comments Marie,
Thank you for your hard work in putting your recommendations together.

Lyra,
Here, passing you tissues and eye drops. I see lots of helpful information and I am grateful for the providers' generosity, within 20 seconds my eyes begin to glaze over and I am completely overwhelmed.

message 25: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 4059 comments Thanks, Dylan, and everyone else who contributed. That's a fantastic list. I'm hoping at some point to put together a list of free and paid advertising sites as well as results, so this is an excellent start!

message 26: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 203 comments Christina wrote: "Thanks, Dylan, and everyone else who contributed. That's a fantastic list. I'm hoping at some point to put together a list of free and paid advertising sites as well as results, so this is an excel..."

I am compiling stats as the next month rolls by. I'll provide the info once it's all complete.

To date, Book Raider is the clear winner. 9 sales on a free promo ain't none too bad. :)

message 27: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 203 comments Lyra wrote: "Marie wrote: " I get fuzzy-eyed and can't decide what to do. Anyone else have this problem or is it just me? It's just me, isn't it?."

I felt that way too when I started. But then I just started from the top and picked one off at a time, starting with the free ones. It got easier from there. hahaha

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (SammyDogs) | 980 comments Dylan, Great strategy! Thank you.

message 29: by Eli (new)

Eli | 1 comments I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to advertising, and I have a few questions about the sites listed here. I've looked at some of them, and they all have one thing in common. They all ask for the period in which the book goes on sale, and the period in which it ends. My book isn't on sale, but it is a constant price of $2.99. Does that still qualify for sites like these? If so, what should I put? If not, where else can I advertise my book that won't ask for a sale/discount/bargain period? Should I just wait until I do plan to use a free book period to advertise on these sites?

message 30: by Marie Silk (last edited Jul 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Marie Silk | 711 comments These sites are for when a book goes on sale. If you have your book enrolled in Kindle Select, you get 5 free promotion days every 90 days, or 5 countdown days every 90 days. When you take advantage of these promotion days, you can advertise on the sites above in order to get more visibility for your promotion.

The first time I ran a free promotion, I did not use any of these sites or do any marketing. I got 40 downloads. The second promo, I got 12 downloads. After a lot of trial and error, I had my best successful promo yesterday at 2,400+ downloads. Using these sites can give some books a better chance to get in the hundreds or thousands of downloads. This helps your books ranks and visibility. It might even lead to some reviews, which is what many authors are hoping for. No guarantees on that, though. It seems like I get maybe 5 reviews for every 500 downloads.

If you are not enrolled in Select, then you can plan a day to manually reduce your price. You can decide what day you want to do the discount and the day you want your book to go back to regular price. You will need to know how to change your price in time so that your discount or sale is effective for the time you want it to be. Hope this helps :).

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (SammyDogs) | 980 comments Marie,
Your generous advice is always helpful. Thank you very much.
Hugs, Sue

message 32: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (ShoelessAuthor) Just to add, I did well with Fussy Librarian on its own, and with a combo of BookScream and BookBarbarian. And they're all pretty cheap.

Bookbub is supposed to be the "best," but they can be hard to get approved for; I've been rejected twice so far, but just keep re-submitting every 4 weeks.

message 33: by Anna Faversham (new)

Anna Faversham (AnnaFaversham) | 294 comments For sales in the UK you might like to try

www.bookhippo.co.uk

It's worked well for me.

message 34: by Christina (last edited Jul 25, 2016 03:49PM) (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 4059 comments For me, Fussy Librarian was a dud, so was Many Books and FKBT. I've had great success with ENT, Book Barbarian, and Sweet Free Books, though I will say: if SFB does another price increase, I'm likely to take them off the list.

As far as free promo sites go, I'll post to any of them that I qualify for, regardless of previous results because, well, they're free.

Edit to add: I recently ran a promo with Books. Butterfly. Their customer service was easy to work with and I ended up with triple the guaranteed number of downloads. The only thing to note is that they don't really do one day promotions.

message 35: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 711 comments Good to know, Christina! Have you ever tried Book Gorilla? I have been curious about them as well.

message 36: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 203 comments Christina wrote: "For me, Fussy Librarian was a dud, so was Many Books and FKBT. I've had great success with ENT, Book Barbarian, and Sweet Free Books, though I will say: if SFB does another price increase, I'm like..."

Was your Book Butterfly (and if I type butteryfly one more time I'm going to scream!) a discount or free promo?

message 37: by Lyra (last edited Jul 26, 2016 04:09AM) (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 285 comments Sue (Dog Mom) wrote: "Marie,
Thank you for your hard work in putting your recommendations together.

Lyra,
Here, passing you tissues and eye drops. I see lots of helpful information and I am grateful for the providers' ..."

Yay! Free tissues and eye drops! Glad I'm not alone. ;)

I do very much appreciate these tips from Marie, and everyone else, it's just kind of overwhelming. I guess, as Dylan said, one at a time.

message 38: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 4059 comments Dylan wrote: "Was your Book Butterfly (and if I type butteryfly one more time I'm going to scream!) a discount or free promo?"

Free book. I did the silver package, which guarantees 500 downloads. For a discounted promo, they seem a bit pricy. I've yet to find a 99¢ promo that pays for itself.

message 39: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 4059 comments I've moved this into our resources folder. I was going to start a thread for such things, but eh,this one works.

One note though: some of the pricing on Dylan's list is outdated. Booktastic went up to $10 I believe, people reads does not offer a free promo that I can find and as was noted, OHFB no longer does either.

One more note: some if these sites offer discounts or %off with coupon codes or if you share their link on your site. I know for sure Just Kindle Books offers a $5 off coupon, free Booksy has issued 5% coupons in the past, eBook soda as well, and BookZio gives 35% off paid advertising to anyone who posts their link.

message 40: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Okay.

So if you are like me there is a lot less options. 'Adult' books will narrow your field a lot. Also, not having reviews yet = trouble.

I will explore the options and make a short list to help others who are...

Anyways.
Site that allow erotica, and do not have steep review requirements on the list:

Awesomegang
Armadilloebooks
discountbookman
bookSCREAM

That's it (for the free ones) that I could find!

message 41: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 4059 comments C.B. wrote: "Okay.

So if you are like me there is a lot less options. 'Adult' books will narrow your field a lot. Also, not having reviews yet = trouble.

I will explore the options and make a short list to he..."

Try BookZio. They take erotica that isn't 'in poor taste.' I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I'm going to guess lighthearted monster banging is okay, but maybe not.

message 42: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 203 comments Christina wrote: "I'm going to guess lighthearted monster banging is okay, but maybe not. ."

Hahaha... I had to read that a few times. I laughed harder each time that I did.

message 43: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

I haven't looked through them all yet. There is quite a list, bit hey, four more potential ads for lighthearted anything is better than the none there were yesterday!

message 44: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Hellstorm (aehellstorm) | 197 comments This list is awesome. Thanks to all who generously shared.

message 45: by Erica (new)

Erica Stinson (goodreadscomerica_r_stinson) | 138 comments wow, you guys have rocked my whole weekend. I have been busy as a busy-bee trying some of the great tips here. Thanks so much for sharing! I will post results as I go. Has anyone tried genius for that smart link thing for amazon? It's not free, but they give you a two week trial and then it's 9 dollars a month. Anyone have any success in international sales?

Erica;-)

message 46: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 4059 comments Erica wrote: "wow, you guys have rocked my whole weekend. I have been busy as a busy-bee trying some of the great tips here. Thanks so much for sharing! I will post results as I go. Has anyone tried genius for t..."

I'm not sure exactly what you get for your $9 a month, but a universal link is free through booklinker.net if that's all you're after.

message 47: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 312 comments Has anyone tried advertising - not promoting a deal but just ad space - on a website like Forever YA or a popular blog in your genre?

message 48: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 4059 comments Hey folks! Question for ya: Anyone have a suggestion for a cheap ($8 or less) promo site that sends its emails out early in the day and has a good track record for YA? Yes, oddly specific, but I'm putting together what I hope will be the promo that finally boosts my one and only standalone YA up the freebie charts. I've got an ENT, but I'd like something to kick off earlier in the day to give it a boost. This will be my day 2. Day one I've got a Sweet Free Books ad and have submitted to every freebie site it qualifies for (about 20 of them,most from Dylan's list above).
Thanks!

message 49: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Callens | 203 comments Christina wrote: "Hey folks! Question for ya: Anyone have a suggestion for a cheap ($8 or less) promo site that sends its emails out early in the day and has a good track record for YA? Yes, oddly specific, but I'm ..."

I'm finding that the cheaper ones aren't yielding anything much for me... but that could be genre, or August, or my book just isn't attractive enough. I'm not really sure.

From my list, I know that I wouldn't use Ebooks Bargain UK, Book Scream, Indie Book Lounge, or Spoiled Reader again. But they might be good for free books... and I wouldn't know for YA.

Not really helpful, I suppose. Sorry!

message 50: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 4059 comments Actually that's quite helpful. :)

I've got a freebie with book scream scheduled for my first day. I'm hoping the tons of sites I've submitted to for the first day give me a bump, which is why I did Sweet Free Books. They go out late in the day. But I'm hoping to add a boost on the morning before the ENT promo and my goal is to keep my total cost under $50.

This particular book hasn't been showcased on any major site yet and the biggest promo day I've had has been about 300 downloads. With ENT, I'm expecting a bit more and hopefully this will give me enough of a boost that I don't have to think about marketing again for a few months.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread